Pens to play Hawks at Soldier Field next year as part of "Stadium Series"

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
The 'Winter Classic' thing has been SOOOOOO overdone. Almost every single league does one now. There is nothing special about it.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
The players love it, so what's the problem? A few die hards trying to show how hard you are? Comon-it was unreal emotion when Evgeni Malkin scored the first goal at Heinz and our horn went off and he jumped on the bench. Wtf are you die hard indoor arena cats talking about? The players talk about the unreal nfl style crowd. These guys all played pond hockey. Shoot, didn't the nhlpa and owners work out a split in hrr? Does it not behoove the players and owners? Doesn't everybody win here (except die hards)?

Oh, this old saw. Because you can't possibly genuinely not care for something without having an agenda. In my case, I'm the least hard person I know nor am I looking to justify my epic fandom to anyone. Pretty presumptuous on your part to assume that anyone here cares enough about anyone else's opinion of them to put up some kind of front. I don't care for it because it's **** hockey played on ice that's just begging for injury. When the Pens hosted I didn't like it because they plucked one of the home games out of the package that I pay for year in and year out and gave me the option to re-buy it at 3-4x the regular cost. And as far as players loving it, there was an interview with Kris Letang yesterday where he said exactly the opposite. But I guess he was just being hard.

I don't understand why people are so scandalized that there are people who don't really care much for these outdoor games.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Oh, this old saw. Because you can't possibly genuinely not care for something without having an agenda. In my case, I'm the least hard person I know nor am I looking to justify my epic fandom to anyone. Pretty presumptuous on your part to assume that anyone here cares enough about anyone else's opinion of them to put up some kind of front. I don't care for it because it's **** hockey played on ice that's just begging for injury. When the Pens hosted I didn't like it because they plucked one of the home games out of the package that I pay for year in and year out and gave me the option to re-buy it at 3-4x the regular cost. And as far as players loving it, there was an interview with Kris Letang yesterday where he said exactly the opposite. But I guess he was just being hard.

I don't understand why people are so scandalized that there are people who don't really care much for these outdoor games.

Probably the same reason the people who aren't into (whatever the subject might be) seem to feel scandalized that others do like (whatever the subject might be).

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Probably the same reason the people who aren't into (whatever the subject might be) seem to feel scandalized that others do like (whatever the subject might be).

In the case of this thread I just haven't seen that happening.

But whatever. It'll happen and I'll shell out the money to be there, just like always. :laugh:

Indiana Pittsburgh

Apr 15, 2013
I like the idea. The atmosphere is great. I wish that the Rangers would play only 1 game. They will be visiting team in both. Not that it will matter. I wish that in the next few years, they find a way to incorporate ALL 30 teams. Not in one season of course.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
In the case of this thread I just haven't seen that happening.

But whatever. It'll happen and I'll shell out the money to be there, just like always. :laugh:

One bit of brilliance I always say to live by is to take the general consensus of a specialized internet board/group with an entire shaker of salt. It's pretty much an offering of conflicting extremes with minimal middle ground :laugh: Take most of what is assumed in a place such as this as "common knowledge" and the average fan would think you're a damned lunatic for even considering such facts, data, thoughts, theory, interest, etc. Not to mention the inability of most to honestly act or think impartially or without bias...

Me, I'm a fan of the games. I watch them all. But I'd watch them no matter where they played and no matter who the teams were. Lucky me I guess that my Penguins get lots of attention (although as well all know by now it's like a death wish) and the other 2 teams I follow heavily (Bruins and Wings) have been included as well, but even if all the teams I either hate or am entirely indifferent to were the only ones involved I'd still watch happily.

The luster of the game is gone to me and probably most, but I watch every game I possibly can all season long. It's ridiculous. The casual viewer or those who watch only their team probably aren't burnt out as much in general.

SteelFish87*

any idea how much tickets will cost?

i had to pay like 10x the amount to go to the game in Pittsburgh than the one in Buffalo :(

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Too many people missing the mark (at least where our game in concerned). Chances of bad weather / disappointing ice in Chicago on March 1 are better than 50% (probably closer to 65%). The matchup itself is great, the timing is beyond stupid. Especially since nothing else is going on in Soldier Field in February (no concerts, etc). There's no reason at all not to do it 2-3 weeks earlier and ensure better weather / ice.

As usual the NHL has about as much foresight / planning skills as a room full of monkies.

Indiana Pittsburgh

Apr 15, 2013
One bit of brilliance I always say to live by is to take the general consensus of a specialized internet board/group with an entire shaker of salt. It's pretty much an offering of conflicting extremes with minimal middle ground :laugh: Take most of what is assumed in a place such as this as "common knowledge" and the average fan would think you're a damned lunatic for even considering such facts, data, thoughts, theory, interest, etc. Not to mention the inability of most to honestly act or think impartially or without bias...

Me, I'm a fan of the games. I watch them all. But I'd watch them no matter where they played and no matter who the teams were. Lucky me I guess that my Penguins get lots of attention (although as well all know by now it's like a death wish) and the other 2 teams I follow heavily (Bruins and Wings) have been included as well, but even if all the teams I either hate or am entirely indifferent to were the only ones involved I'd still watch happily.

The luster of the game is gone to me and probably most, but I watch every game I possibly can all season long. It's ridiculous. The casual viewer or those who watch only their team probably aren't burnt out as much in general.

I guess this holds true to me. I mostly only watch Pens, sometimes I'll watch another game. But i always watch the Winter Classic.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Too many people missing the mark (at least where our game in concerned). Chances of bad weather / disappointing ice in Chicago on March 1 are better than 50% (probably closer to 65%). The matchup itself is great, the timing is beyond stupid. Especially since nothing else is going on in Soldier Field in February (no concerts, etc). There's no reason at all not to do it 2-3 weeks earlier and ensure better weather / ice.

As usual the NHL has about as much foresight / planning skills as a room full of monkies.
I'm also wondering how this will plan out with the Olympics? You know where we can actually see a great game. I guess its just not the cash cow the Outdoor game is so the NHL has little to no interest anymore.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I just don't get why people are so passionate either way on this. I don't care if they play a game on the moon, and then the next year all the games are on the moon, it's still hockey and I'll watch and enjoy it.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I just don't get why people are so passionate either way on this. I don't care if they play a game on the moon, and then the next year all the games are on the moon, it's still hockey and I'll watch and enjoy it.

It's just the usual Pejorative Slured instant gratification BS that's rampant nowadays. "Hey that was fun, so instead of building the excitement leading up to doing it again once in awhile, let's do it as often and as soon as possible because we have no foresight!". Ill live honestly, it'll just be a shane in 1-2 years when it's become just another game because of all this.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

The first 2 moon games would be awesome, but the next 5 wouldn't be. They'd have to play in a big bubble, though, like Super Chexx (bubble hockey).

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It's just the usual Pejorative Slured instant gratification BS that's rampant nowadays. "Hey that was fun, so instead of building the excitement leading up to doing it again once in awhile, let's do it as often and as soon as possible because we have no foresight!". Ill live honestly, it'll just be a shane in 1-2 years when it's become just another game because of all this.
Exactly! The NHL has turned it into Slap Shot 4... or is it 5?

In the end Milbury was right but the "**** of the Winter Classic" doesn't get me because anyone who has followed the NHL knew it was coming, it that the NHL doesn't do anything else to market its stars so they have to leetch off gimmicks. We don't see hockey unless a game is on. Thats the only time I'm going to see a hockey commercial. Its beyond stupid.

I really, REALLY wonder about the Olympics now???

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Any Pen's season ticket holders getting tickets? They are available to STH's now. I just looked at the site to purchase, cause a friend might go. But the prices, imo, were a bit ridiculous. Unless you want tix with a terrible view.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
As for Winter Classics and Winter series etc being overdone.... They are making a lot of money, they create a hockey hype in the cities/areas they occur in.

As long as that is the case, the NHL will pursue more until they find that equilibrium where revenues/profits do not increase with more outdoor games.

Anyway - shouldn't be boring meeting the Champs outdoor. One to look forward to.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
As for Winter Classics and Winter series etc being overdone.... They are making a lot of money, they create a hockey hype in the cities/areas they occur in.

As long as that is the case, the NHL will pursue more until they find that equilibrium where revenues/profits do not increase with more outdoor games.

Anyway - shouldn't be boring meeting the Champs outdoor. One to look forward to.

Interesting concept . . . the NHL is in business to make money . . . ;)

Funny thing is that NO Penguins fan should ***** about it. The revenue from these games count towards HRR, which is used for calculating the cap. Each extra outdoor game makes the Sid and Geno contracts even better bargains that they already are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad