Post-Game Talk: Pens suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Letang once again reminding us that for every great play he makes, he makes 2 stupid ones.

Something has to change. ZERO pp goals in the last, what, 6 or more games?

HOW is anyone allowed to have a job with stats like that. Fire reirdan, do something
boys club
the owner has a man crush on the coach.....and the coach keeps reirdan and Co. on board.
Sid will be fishing with his grandkids and Sullivan will still be coaching Pens and giving goofy pressers.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Still not good enough. There's another level they've gotta reach before they're really playing hockey the correct way--total zero event hockey.

Everybody taps a portrait of ZAR on their way out of the lockerroom like a college football tradition.
Sullivan's ideal "offensive" player is prime Tyler Kennedy. Takes a million low percentage shots so the xGF is through the roof, but scores on 1 out of every 50 of them.

Sullivan would love a team where he could roll out two lines of Kennedy in offensive roles, then shut the game down by rolling out two lines of ZAR to play the opposition to a 0-0 tie every night.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Sullivan's ideal "offensive" player is prime Tyler Kennedy. Takes a million low percentage shots so the xGF is through the roof, but scores on 1 out of every 50 of them.

Sullivan would love a team where he could roll out two lines of Kennedy in offensive roles, then shut the game down by rolling out two lines of ZAR to play the opposition to a 0-0 tie every night.
Sullivan agrees with this.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
It's almost impossible to win in this league by playing a soft, perimeter game. The planets need to align to get those perfect tic tac toe passes to connect. And when Buffalo ramped up the physicality, we turtled.

For years, this team's needed a net-front presence on the PP. The problem is, those guys tend to be big, and usually have a bit of snarl to them. Those are traits Sullivan loathes, so instead, our PP just passes around the perimeter for 2 minutes while 5'8" Guentzel occassionally enters the crease for a second until he's knocked on his ass.

We've also needed a 4th line (well, and a 3rd line) with an identity. I couldn't care less if our 4th line ever scores a goal. But they need to be able to grind, eat minutes, make life miserable for opponents, and change momentum when needed. Instead, Sully wants a random collection of soft scrubs that play 6 minutes a night and contribute nothing. Wonder why Sid and Geno are gassed in the 3rd period?

None of these things will ever change under Sullivan. JR tried addressing it, and Sully ran all of those types of players out of town. You guys get all bent after a loss like this. What's the definition of insanity again? I've been saying for 5 years this team will never win again playing 'Sully hockey', so it doesn't surprise me in the least.
I firmly believe if JR would have been backed by ownership over Sully he would have fired the HC and built exactly what you're describing. ---

Reactions: Hell Yeah!!!

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
He has an uncanny ability of turning role players with bite into vanilla role players who lose that bite.

In a morbid way I'd be curious to see us acquire Tom Wilson only to see Sullivan somehow turn him into a Lady Byng candidate.
Pretty telling that the first thing out of Sullivan's mouth regarding EK was getting him to play the right way or some bullshit like that. Nah dont let players play to their strengths, gotta morph everyone into mindless defensive drones.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Split powerplay units is the dumbest idea and always has been. Doubly so when you are down two top six players and have scrubs like Nylander and Carter out there. Trying to spread the talent around when you have no talent is definitely something a moronic team like this one would do, though.

These guys are going nowhere and they definitely look like they know it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Split powerplay units is the dumbest idea and always has been. Doubly so when you are down two top six players and have scrubs like Nylander and Carter out there. Trying to spread the talent around when you have no talent is definitely something a moronic team like this one would do, though.

Too bad the people wouldn't protest firing sully by no-showing to their next home game.
Could you imagine? A mostly empty arena? That would be hilarious :laugh:
And I'd have to guess, effective...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Agree with everything but the last part. This organization, top to bottom, still carries itself with the air of a top echelon team. :laugh:

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Just finished! :laugh:

2-0 lead and they blow up and lose 3-2 bahaha... in classic fashion too.
Tanger giveaway, EK with the own goal... classic classic classic penguins sullied loss.
Cheers to another implosive defeat this evening!!!
:clap:
I think they just get rolled tonight.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Xgoals would hate a player who takes a bunch of low percentage shots. I do agree with your overall point that Sully would love TK though.

...This is where I admit that TK was/is one of my favorite bottom sixers from the early Sid era though. I loved that Cooke-Staal-TK line and for a couple years anyways TK was my favorite player on it, chest snipes and all.

Oh god, it's me, I'm the Mike Sullivan

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Knowing them tonight will be a complete performance and good win just to twist the knife of them losing last night.

They'll hover over 500 or just below all year and somehow Sully won't get fired.
They have zero confidence, they will crumbled after the first goal...the only way would be if Jarry is somehow out of his mind and shut them out.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They have zero confidence, they will crumbled after the first goal...the only way would be if Jarry is somehow out of his mind and shut them out.

you know, I truly have decided that the only explanation that makes sense for Geno falling off the face of the earth is that he knows this team has no chance…injury, illness, age etc…I’ve discounted all of them…the core must know this team has zero chance to win anything lol

Reactions: vodeni

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
you know, I truly have decided that the only explanation that makes sense for Geno falling off the face of the earth is that he knows this team has no chance…injury, illness, age etc…I’ve discounted all of them…the core must know this team has zero chance to win anything lol
yes, its over, they had a chance two years ago but they chose to not offend the sacred cow

Reactions: Andy99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Xgoals would hate a player who takes a bunch of low percentage shots. I do agree with your overall point that Sully would love TK though.

...This is where I admit that TK was/is one of my favorite bottom sixers from the early Sid era though. I loved that Cooke-Staal-TK line and for a couple years anyways TK was my favorite player on it, chest snipes and all.

Oh god, it's me, I'm the Mike Sullivan

In the 2008-09 season (first Cup year), among players who actually played regularly Tyler Kennedy had the best xGF% on the entire team (Goligoski was better but only played 45 games). In terms of xGF only, he was 4th behind only Sid, Geno and Dupuis.

Kennedy was an analytics darling during his heyday.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
In the 2008-09 season (first Cup year), among players who actually played regularly Tyler Kennedy had the best xGF% on the entire team (Goligoski was better but only played 45 games). In terms of xGF only, he was 4th behind only Sid, Geno and Dupuis.

Kennedy was an analytics darling during his heyday.
Actually not terribly surprised by that. That line controlled play so well that TK probably got to take a few chest snipes from what xgoals would consider prime scoring areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad