Confirmed with Link: Pens sign Tristan Jarry : 5.375 x 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Let's just do the stats in the last 3 years, so we'll cut off Jarry's .921 save% in 2019-2020.

Jarry: .913 save% in 144 games
Husso: .904 save% in 113 games
Samsonov: .907 save% in 105 games
Andersen: .911 save% in 110 games
Hart: .900 save% in 127 games (granted his .877 save% in 27 games in 2020-2021 really hurts him)
Vanecek: .909 save% in 131 games

So Jarry has played in more games and has a better save% than every other goalie listed, but somehow all of those other guys are better than Jarry? Fabulous logic.

It's even funnier to say that New Jersey wouldn't take Jarry over Vanecek. You want to go look at Vanecek's playoff track record? Here you go:

View attachment 733768

Or how about we post Samsonov's playoff track record instead:

View attachment 733769

Even the reigning Vezina winner that I really wanted this off-season in Ullmark has performance issues in the playoffs:

View attachment 733771

Look, Jarry has his problems for sure. He has been a playoff failure dating back to juniors and he has shown a serious issue with his body and game falling apart the deeper into the season the games get. But have some freaking perspective on what other goalies are doing in the NHL instead of acting like Jarry is cancer on ice. Even with his flaws, Jarry is an above average starting goalie. That's a fact. Want to say they should have gone another direction? Want to criticize Jarry for his seeming inability to shoulder blame for his play while he has regularly struggled down the stretch? That is all fair game. But at least try to base the discussion in reality, for the sake of this website.

Unless your team has a goalie named Sorokin, Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy or Saros, you goalie has some sort of problem.
You have to look at goals saved above expected or the stats are meaningless …because goalies can get achieve better save %s in blowout games…you have to look at the saves in context…last season Jarry was 76th in the league in goals saved above expected, and CDS and Tokarski outperformed him…in 2021-22 he was great, 11th in the league…in 2020-21 he was 88th and again outperformed by CDS and Legace…I mean he’s really not that good and is wildly inconsistent, not just season to season but game to game…

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Let's just do the stats in the last 3 years, so we'll cut off Jarry's .921 save% in 2019-2020.

Jarry: .913 save% in 144 games
Husso: .904 save% in 113 games
Samsonov: .907 save% in 105 games
Andersen: .911 save% in 110 games
Hart: .900 save% in 127 games (granted his .877 save% in 27 games in 2020-2021 really hurts him)
Vanecek: .909 save% in 131 games

You have to look at goals saved above expected or the stats are meaningless …because goalies can get achieve better save %s in blowout games…you have to look at the saves in context…last season Jarry was 76th in the league in goals saved above expected, and CDS and Tokarski outperformed him…in 2021-22 he was great, 11th in the league…in 2020-21 he was 88th and again outperformed by CDS and Legace…I mean he’s really not that good and is wildly inconsistent, not just season to season but game to game…

Leaving aside that I just read a piece of stats tracking that confirms the big flaw in expected goals and leaves me even more skeptical about it, using NST for the last three years...

Jarry: -0.07
Husso: -0.1
Samsonov: -0.03
Andersen: +0.11
Hart: -0.18
Vanacek: +0.04

Although let's not forget the position has a certain amount of volatility. 20-22 gets you +0.05 for Jarry, flat as expected for Andersen, -0.35 for Hart, - 0.17 for Samsonov... I can't be f***ed to go get the others, we're probably past starter workloads anyway. But, well, one injury hit season behind a rancid defence, who knew that might tank his numbers.

And if we want to talk consistency, then I believe Jarry is behind only Samsonov and Vanacek for quality start percentage the last season, none of them in 22 (only Shesterkin/Sorokin/Saros out of 50 start guys), and none again in 21.

And while you can point at holes in that, they're the best stats we have, and there comes a point stat hole poking where it saves everyone time to just admit there's nothing you'll believe.

Which is the case of a lot of people here, because I swear to god most people have PTSD about how goaltending played out over the last two playoff series.

Also talking about looking at stats properly and bringing up one game players (frankly comparing backups and starters is dicey at the best of time, but one game samples, come on now) or a poll on HF where only 22 people voted or a trade thread where people constantly overrate their own guys... if it didn't sound so egotistical, I'd swear to Odin you people want to give me an aneurysm.

Why the f*** I went to all this f***ing effort* over a guy who's basically just mushy middle, who really f***ing cares about f***ing sorting them, is a mystery in its self

*five minutes or so tbf

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
The same site - the same logic - the same argument...whatever the case:

...can bash to hell certain players - and prop up legitimate ones (like Crosby) for their elite level of play and SUSTAINED level of play 'when it matters'. BUT, when it's convenient to the argument, can shift the narrative to make a case for games played in October.

So which is it? Jarry is great because he gets a .930 in October and November - and .880s in March and playoffs....therefore he's a good option to go with? I can't make a worse argument for a position like goalie. Like, I can almost be convinced to not be harsh on expensive players like Panarin or certain Leafs' who don't show up 'when it matters'....but goalies who have zero clutch are literally pointless additions to your team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bloke had a serious lingering injury that the medical staff and coaching staff deemed ok enough to have him play almost 50 games.

The real issue isn't the player you f***ing wankbuckets.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Bloke had a serious lingering injury that the medical staff and coaching staff deemed ok enough to have him play almost 50 games.

The real issue isn't the player you f***ing wankbuckets.
Does this mean the Pens got into the playoffs.. Or nah?

It was obviously an issue. He admitted it himself. They're all irresponsible at best.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Does this mean the Pens got into the playoffs.. Or nah?

It was obviously an issue. He admitted it himself. They're all irresponsible at best.
Nah. Goalie has injury, team and coach still play him like he isn't. Meanwhile Zucker tried to play through his as well his entire tenure as a Penguin and Sid gets a boo boo and it's omg we gotta make excuses!!!

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
it’s probably not reasonable to expect a goalie playing on a bad team to have even average playoff stats in the (very) limited sample size. Jarry falling off later in the season is concerning, but it’s also a smaller sample size and there is an injury context there (the onus is on the coach to shut him down when his mechanics start to look like late career T-Vo).

My main issue with this deal is the term given his repeated injuries. And it also doesn’t show a lot of faith in our goalie prospects to be ready in even 2 or 3 years - which is depressing. The Pens invested rather heavily (relatively speaking) in some higher draft picks on goalies over the past 4 years. And let’s not forget they traded away possibly their best goalie prospect in the last 20 years as a throw-in piece for the Derick Brassard experience (my new band name, fyi).

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so *I* was hoping that our number one thing to address was goal tending during the off season. but... I did not expect to get EK for basically all of our bad players. so i'm giving dubas a pass here. Still.. here's hoping his body/brain stay in the game through out the season. my biggest beef is if jarry plays poorly this contract will be hard to get out of.

Reactions: Andy99

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Sort of restarting a dead thread...
I was thinking about the last game against Chicago last year. We had a lot of fails that night with enough blame to go around, however, if any, this was a perfect time for a goalie to take the lead and win a meaningful game.

Then I was thinking about game 7 against the Rangers, sure Jarry was injured, but that's another meaningful game which he didn't win.

So my question...
Has Jarry ever won a game that meant anything (ie. something important on the line)?
Has Jarry every stolen a game that meant anything?

My brain says no. Which makes me wonder if he can actually handle the pressure. Maybe they should make sure he's already seeing the psych Fleury was seeing near the end of his tenure here.

Makes me hope that either that changes this year, or we get lucky with Neveldokovich/Blonmqvist (whatever spelling).

Reactions: Human and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sort of restarting a dead thread...
I was thinking about the last game against Chicago last year. We had a lot of fails that night with enough blame to go around, however, if any, this was a perfect time for a goalie to take the lead and win a meaningful game.

Then I was thinking about game 7 against the Rangers, sure Jarry was injured, but that's another meaningful game which he didn't win.

So my question...
Has Jarry ever won a game that meant anything (ie. something important on the line)?
Has Jarry every stolen a game that meant anything?

My brain says no. Which makes me wonder if he can actually handle the pressure. Maybe they should make sure he's already seeing the psych Fleury was seeing near the end of his tenure here.

Makes me hope that either that changes this year, or we get lucky with Neveldokovich/Blonmqvist (whatever spelling).
He hasn’t won an important game, just random games in early to mid-season lol…don’t trust him either…if we’re going to do anything this season, from getting into the POs to winning a round or two, one of our other goalies is going to have to come out of nowhere and give us tremendous play…I’m glad Jarry is a pre-January all star lol, but he can’t be counted on post January

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Trade Karlsson for a goalie. I'm half kidding.. But they better give up something to get a quality goalie back.
You mean trade EK for Hellebuyck? ;)

First of all I don't think EK would go for it, but let's say he did...
It would come down to the combination of:
G:Jarry + D:EK
vs
G:Hellebuyck + D:??

So depends on who we could get for the ??. I don't think trading Jarry for a D would get us much. I guess we could ask for a D back for EK, but anyhow...going down into muddy water here.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Mannn… I think there is enough years to have a very good sample size on TJ and his game. He is just wildly inconsistent where one game he will all-world and the next look like an over-the-hill beer league dude.

It is beyond frustrating given the cap hit, term, and years of pro experience under his belt. At this stage of the franchise I wish they would have traded with a team like the Jets for Hellebuyck. Although the assets & things might not have been there and does a move like that not get you EK65? Dunno, and think KD could have still made it work, but here we are.

I do get the idea behind re-upping TJ (they def took a gamble doing so) but other than a trade there weren’t a lot of real options to improve in net. And while he is still young and could improve the Pens don’t have the years to burn in order for him to solidify in net to not cost this team precious points in the regular season or if they get in completely meltdown in the first round of the playoffs.

I hope he can figure it out fast and not hide behind more “I’ve been chasing being healthy” excuses again, but mannnn is this guy ever a rollercoaster in net.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Mannn… I think there is enough years to have a very good sample size on TJ and his game. He is just wildly inconsistent where one game he will all-world and the next look like an over-the-hill beer league dude.

It is beyond frustrating given the cap hit, term, and years of pro experience under his belt. At this stage of the franchise I wish they would have traded with a team like the Jets for Hellebuyck. Although the assets & things might not have been there and does a move like that not get you EK65? Dunno, and think KD could have still made it work, but here we are.

I do get the idea behind re-upping TJ (they def took a gamble doing so) but other than a trade there weren’t a lot of real options to improve in net. And while he is still young and could improve the Pens don’t have the years to burn in order for him to solidify in net to not cost this team precious points in the regular season or if they get in completely meltdown in the first round of the playoffs.

I hope he can figure it out fast and not hide behind more “I’ve been chasing being healthy” excuses again, but mannnn is this guy ever a rollercoaster in net.
I know people laugh when I try to read into their interviews, but he doea not strike me as a guy who acknowledges his flaws and gives me warm and fuzzy feeling that he will get better (he is not bad to begin with). Just last night if you listen to his press you'd think he had a great night...Anyways I think he is who he is, he is OK, won't get better ever (in average), just hope that he may hit lucky stretch in the playoffs)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know people laugh when I try to read into their interviews, but he doea not strike me as a guy who acknowledges his flaws and gives me warm and fuzzy feeling that he will get better (he is not bad to begin with). Just last night if you listen to his press you'd think he had a great night...Anyways I think he is who he is, he is OK, won't get better ever (in average), just hope that he may hit lucky stretch in the playoffs)
He needs a good defensive team in front of him and that’s not the Pens so I don’t get resigning him for 5 years lol

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
OH GOODY we are blaming Jarry for The Core Sleeping for 2 Periods & DUHwedel & Joseph blowing goats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad