Confirmed with Link: Pens Sign Forward Oskar Sundqvist to a 3 year ELC

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If he were in the NCAA, he'd only be a junior.

He's in a good situation and he's not going to realistically compete for an NHL job so he can stay in Sweden.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Its not like the SEL is a scrub league either, its right up there with the AHL, he'll be in familiar territory so to speak, and getting a much larger role next season. No reason to uproot him unless they think he could fill a role throughout the season on the NHL roster - which I don't see personally.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The SEL is the second best league in Europe, it's not like he's playing in the DEL.

He's not going to compete for a job in the NHL next year, let him learn in the great situation he's in...it also comes with the bonus of the ELC rolling over until next year.

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
The SEL is the second best league in Europe, it's not like he's playing in the DEL.

He's not going to compete for a job in the NHL next year, let him learn in the great situation he's in...it also comes with the bonus of the ELC rolling over until next year.

Yeah, he Will probably get 1st and 2nd-line duties next season, and step up to fill out Skellefteås losses. It Will be good.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Good. Now all the drama queens on here can stop flipping out about him not getting signed. :laugh:

Who...Me?
4trq4gk.png

:laugh:

There was no way this guy was going to go unsigned.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
He should stay in the SEL and continue developing his skills, until we get a better system in place in WBS and Pittsburgh that allows him to continue growing. No need to bring him (at 182 lbs) up to "Grind Central". He needs to put a good 20 lbs of muscle on before he'd get a whif of the NHL anyway. Otherwise he's going to get knocked down like a 6'3" Manchuk.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It would be hilarious if Sundqvist flamed out and Seymour went on to become a star defenseman elsewhere.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Its not like the SEL is a scrub league either, its right up there with the AHL, he'll be in familiar territory so to speak, and getting a much larger role next season. No reason to uproot him unless they think he could fill a role throughout the season on the NHL roster - which I don't see personally.

I only want to see him in WBS so he can adjust to the NHL size rink and the style of play here, yeah the SHL is a damn solid league in its own right, but I think having closer eyes on him here and have him with with the conditioning staff with WBS and the Pens would benefit him more for his future as a potential NHL'er.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd be more concerned about Sundqvist staying in Sweden if he were stuck behind vets and getting little playing time, but by all accounts he's taken on a pretty big role with the best team in Sweden.

Might be advantageous to have him spend another year there as a go-to guy on a league champion.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
And the lighter schedule will help him spend more time in the gym to add more muscle.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
6'3", 182lbs? lol. Hope he holds his stick tight, or else he's liable to float away.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd be more concerned about Sundqvist staying in Sweden if he were stuck behind vets and getting little playing time, but by all accounts he's taken on a pretty big role with the best team in Sweden.

Might be advantageous to have him spend another year there as a go-to guy on a league champion.

Inclined to agree.

* rinses out mouth with soap :laugh:

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I only want to see him in WBS so he can adjust to the NHL size rink and the style of play here, yeah the SHL is a damn solid league in its own right, but I think having closer eyes on him here and have him with with the conditioning staff with WBS and the Pens would benefit him more for his future as a potential NHL'er.

Its not like his SEL team doesn't have a conditioning coach or anything like that, and the Pens supposedly keep close tabs on their guys, and we know they offer food nutrition and conditioning programs to their prospects at and following prospect development camp.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Its not like his SEL team doesn't have a conditioning coach or anything like that, and the Pens supposedly keep close tabs on their guys, and we know they offer food nutrition and conditioning programs to their prospects at and following prospect development camp.

It doesn't matter what his team there does for him, he's still over seas and given the current scouts/etc for the team...

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Why would we have to leave him in Sweden for him to get quality ice time? Isn't it time for him to learn the North American game? Isn't he the type of player who's probably even better in smaller rinks?

Isn't he exactly the type of prospect who should be playing in the AHL next season for us? He's 20 years old. If he were coming from the CHL, that's exactly where he'd be in 2014-15.

If we're going to start making significant changes and positive strides in important areas...

In Sweden he can develop his offensive game better than he could do in NA as a 20 year old rookie IMO. An extra year in Sweden did wonders to players like Silfverberg, Järnkrok, William Karlsson etc. Now granted they aren't similar players as Sundqvist and haven't really broken out in NHL yet but all took steps forward with the extra year in Sweden. We can hope Sundqvist does the same and develops his offensive game more. He can become more complete player that way too.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Sundqvist's ELC will start ticking if he plays in the AHL, but slides if he stays in Sweden.

I'm not sure any potential benefit of AHL development vs. SHL development next season is worth burning a year of Sundqvist's contract.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
The more I think about it, the more I think that Sundqvist is our best forward prospect (if we don't count Bennett as a prospect, which I don't). And this is not an "oh, a Euro, cool!!!" thing; I see more NHL qualities in Sundqvist than I do in the Pens' other forward prospects.

Pro size- needs to add some muscle, of course, but he has the frame to get pretty big.

He plays big- He stood out to me in the WJC with his ability to work the boards, and with his ability to shield the puck with his body. A good net-front presence, as well. And he will lay some pretty good hits

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
The more I think about it, the more I think that Sundqvist is our best forward prospect (if we don't count Bennett as a prospect, which I don't). And this is not an "oh, a Euro, cool!!!" thing; I see more NHL qualities in Sundqvist than I do in the Pens' other forward prospects.

Pro size- needs to add some muscle, of course, but he has the frame to get pretty big.

He plays big- He stood out to me in the WJC with his ability to work the boards, and with his ability to shield the puck with his body. A good net-front presence, as well. And he will lay some pretty good hits.

Scoring ability

Really, the only big black mark on him is his skating, but it looked a ton better when I watched the WJCs than when I saw some clips of him (in Sweden) the previous year. I don't ever think he will be a great skater, but I think Sundqvist can bring his skating up to what is needed to be a 3C.

I really think he can be the Pens' 3C in a couple years (one more in Sweden, then one in the AHL).

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
And correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Sundqvist's ELC will start ticking if he plays in the AHL, but slides if he stays in Sweden.

I'm not sure any potential benefit of AHL development vs. SHL development next season is worth burning a year of Sundqvist's contract.

The contract will begin starting next season whether he plays in NHL, AHL or in Sweden.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Read on Inside Pittsburgh Sports (however reliable that site is) that he "had been strongly considering not signing with the Penguins."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad