Confirmed with Link: Pens sign F Nick Spaling to 2-year, $4.4M contract (2.2AAV)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That is kind of my problem generally with the whole 'step up' thing.

There aren't a ton of guys who you can count on to always score that big goal. Fortunately we have several.

But the Jussi Jokinen's of the world? You can count on them to score consistently in an inconsistent fashion. Over a period of time they will get you the goals, but they are secondary scoring. You count on them to score at a particular time at your peril. And Neal you have to put closer to that category than in the step up category.

Which is fine if you do not expect him to be the former rather than the latter. He is not paid as such either. Instead of $5 million he would be closer to $10 million if he were. As long as that is the case, I think that the criticism is more unreasonable expectations rather than fault.

It is water under the bridge, but I do want to emphasize the general point that most players are not the step up variety, and you need those on your roster to win as well as the step up kind like Crosby and Malkin, and even Letang. Just do not put them in that category and you will not be disappointed.

I honestly hope PH is as good as I think he'll be here, and we don't discuss Neal anymore b/c it's just a fundamental difference of opinion when it comes to expectations for a player. I think our highest paid winger should have produced more than he did in big games. And gave a more consistent effort in moving his feet and going to the net. Like Kunitz.

Seeing as this is a Spaling thread, I'll just shut up.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
True, but you want players that contribute even when they aren’t scoring. Good defensively, physical, wins faceoffs, keep possession by working the boards. Something. When Neal wasn’t scoring, he didn’t do much.

If he gets you 40 goals a year those can be forgiven. Especially at $5 million per year.

Again, if he was the player you describe and scored 40 goals a year he would be making double what he does.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I honestly hope PH is as good as I think he'll be here, and we don't discuss Neal anymore b/c it's just a fundamental difference of opinion when it comes to expectations for a player. I think our highest paid winger should have produced more than he did in big games. And gave a more consistent effort in moving his feet and going to the net. Like Kunitz.

Seeing as this is a Spaling thread, I'll just shut up.

Agreed, we got off on a tangent, albeit an interesting one.

I will do the same.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If he gets you 40 goals a year those can be forgiven. Especially at $5 million per year.

Again, if he was the player you describe and scored 40 goals a year he would be making double what he does.

I disagree because he was nowhere near a 40-goal scorer in the playoffs. If he scored at that pace during the playoffs, fine, but he didn’t. He was closer to a 20-goal scorer in the playoffs who brought little else. That’s not worth the $5M/year in my opinion.

And the only reason he was at $5M/year was because he was still a RFA when he signed that deal. He took money upfront to give the Pens a break on the backend.

Agreed, we got off on a tangent, albeit an interesting one.

I will do the same.

I guess I will, too.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I disagree because he was nowhere near a 40-goal scorer in the playoffs. If he scored at that pace during the playoffs, fine, but he didn’t. He was closer to a 20-goal scorer in the playoffs who brought little else. That’s not worth the $5M/year in my opinion.

Any poor skating sniper is going to suffer when the 3rd wheel on his line is another poor skating sniper who isn't particularly strong on the forecheck or at driving the net.

And the only reason he was at $5M/year was because he was still a RFA when he signed that deal. He took money upfront to give the Pens a break on the backend.

$5m was a a really strong deal for the Pens at the time and has only increased so as the cap has done the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad