Confirmed with Link: Pens sign F Nick Spaling to 2-year, $4.4M contract (2.2AAV)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well... Kunitz seems to think that he's a silky-handed sniper, these days. So you wouldn't have to worry much about him battling in front of the net.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I've got no problem with Sid getting Kunitz and PH. Keeps Dupuis away from Sid. Geno gets Beau, our most naturally talented winger and whomever wins a top 6 spot out of the rest. Downie could be a nice third wheel. Two wingers who are natural playmakers with a former 50 and 47 goal scorer sounds good to me.

KCH is KCD on steroids. Hornqvist scores his goals coming in late on the play burying rebounds. And just posting up around the net. As well as working harder than anyone on the ice in all three zones. He could work well there.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really didn't know that it was a point of contention that Kunitz has moved to a more perimeter game in recent years. Whether it's of his doing or the system the team was running is another subject entirely. I don't blame him for it, or anything... it's not like he hasn't found some success playing that way (and it saves his body). But it seemed like it was pretty evident.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I really didn't know that it was a point of contention that Kunitz has moved to a more perimeter game in recent years. Whether it's of his doing or the system the team was running is another subject entirely. I don't blame him for it, or anything... it's not like he hasn't found some success playing that way (and it saves his body). But it seemed like it was pretty evident.

saying he plays like james neal is a point of contention. He still spends most of him time in the slot.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He plays more like James Neal than old Chris Kunitz. But I agree that it's an awkward comparison. Kunitz isn't as good a player, first of all.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He plays more like James Neal than old Chris Kunitz. But I agree that it's an awkward comparison. Kunitz isn't as good a player, first of all.

He doesn't have the shot Neal does. He works harder and is no worse in any other aspect of the game.

Kunitz has been the clear best winger on his line for a couple years. And he's turning 35. He's not going to be the same player he was in 09. But saying he's a perimeter player is BS.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's been the clear best winger on Crosby's line? That's damned impressive.

I'm not saying he's an outright perimeter player. I'm saying he's transitioned over to a more perimeter-based game the last few years. I didn't realize that was some sort of grievous insult. He's getting up there... a lot of it is likely a natural tendency to want to try minimize wear and tear.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I'm not saying he's an outright perimeter player. I'm saying he's transitioned over to a more perimeter-based game the last few years. I didn't realize that was some sort of grievous insult. He's getting up there... a lot of it is likely a natural tendency to want to try minimize wear and tear.

this is it right here.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Being the clear cut best winger on his line is going to result in the type of game Kunitz has transitioned into. Along with his age.

James Neal is a lazy hockey player. Kunitz isn't.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Ugh. I just don't recall these James Neal = Lazy conversations happening nearly as much in the last 2 off seasons.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What is wrong, per se, of a player being only a perimeter player, as long as he produces?

It is like calling Ovechkin a one trick pony.

If it is a particularly good trick, one trick is enough. Do you wish for more, as you can see more could be there? Sure. But sometimes you take what you can get.

I still am not entirely sold on the Neal trade.

He had a very very good trick, especially when teamed with Malkin.

I could give a **** if he produces less and Hornqvist produces more next year, that is meaningless. Malkin to Neal was deadly. As will Hornqvist be on that PP with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Ehrhoff I belive. But in the end I predict that we lose in the trade-off. But the loss will be minimal, especially next year. I am not so sure going down the road when Ehrhoff and his canon of a shot are likely gone.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Ugh. I just don't recall these James Neal = Lazy conversations happening nearly as much in the last 2 off seasons.

Of course not.

It's really quite amazing to watch how a guy can go from being this team's top winger (AINEC!!!) to being a lazy, overrated, bad-tempered, locker room cancer in the span of one trade, huh? I mean... I honestly wasn't the guy's biggest fan (mostly because of his cringe-worthy suspensions) but it's starting to get a little thick around here when it comes to James Neal.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What is wrong, per se, of a player being only a perimeter player, as long as he produces?

It is like calling Ovechkin a one trick pony.

If it is a particularly good trick, one trick is enough. Do you wish for more, as you can see more could be there? Sure. But sometimes you take what you can get.

I still am not entirely sold on the Neal trade.

He had a very very good trick, especially when teamed with Malkin.

I could give a **** if he produces less and Hornqvist produces more next year, that is meaningless. Malkin to Neal was deadly. As will Hornqvist be on that PP with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Ehrhoff I belive. But in the end I predict that we lose in the trade-off. But the loss will be minimal, especially next year. I am not so sure going down the road when Ehrhoff and his canon of a shot are likely gone.

If it works in the playoffs, nothing. If it doesn't, which it hasn't, then a lot.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If it works in the playoffs, nothing. If it doesn't, which it hasn't, then a lot.

I am not sure that playoff part was Neal's fault, but systemic, unless the rest of the stars lack of scoring in the playoffs applies too, but point taken.

My points only are relevant (as was the case with Ovechkin as well) IF the player actually produces. And I have been very clear of my lack of respect for the regular season which I see as virtually meaningless, assuming you are not a borderline playoff team.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I am not sure that playoff part was Neal's fault, but systemic, unless the rest of the stars lack of scoring in the playoffs applies too, but point taken.

My points only are relevant (as was the case with Ovechkin as well) IF the player actually produces. And I have been very clear of my lack of respect for the regular season which I see as virtually meaningless, assuming you are not a borderline playoff team.

The stars failing in the playoffs is all Dupuis' fault. Everyone knows that.:sarcasm:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Ok? I've been on his case for awhile. You're more than welcome to question whether I'm right. But Id appreciate not being told what I believe and when.

He disappeared for large stretches in the Philly series while Malkin was getting shadowed. I called him out after that series. And that we needed to fix our top 6 even after that high scoring fiasco.

Seeing Neal struggle without Kunitz on the other wing during the lockout only reinforced it for me. And then coming up a zero in the Boston series when Sid and Geno were struggling.

Last straw for me was seeing him being nothing short of pathetic against NYR live.

Saying Kunitz is his level of perimeter or lazy? I disagree.

Neal would have been on our top unit PP if he was willing to go to the net like Koon. And he would have been playing with Geno throughout the playoffs if he constantly moved his feet and won battles.

I have no problem having a different opinion on this subject. I'm not hating on the guy b/c he was traded. I've been calling him out for awhile.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Ok? I've been on his case for awhile. You're more than welcome to question whether I'm right. But Id appreciate not being told what I believe and when.

He disappeared for large stretches in the Philly series while Malkin was getting shadowed. I called him out after that series. And that we needed to fix our top 6 even after that high scoring fiasco.

Seeing Neal struggle without Kunitz on the other wing during the lockout only reinforced it for me. And then coming up a zero in the Boston series when Sid and Geno were struggling.

Nobody came up in the Boston series. Nobody. Also, only on HFboards is 36 points in 40 games struggling.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Nobody came up in the Boston series.

Sutter and Kunitz scored. We needed another big goal at some point in the first 3 games to have a chance in that series. Especially in game 3. Neal didn't step up. Sid and Geno are going to get shut down at times especially against good teams. From what I've seen, I wouldn't trust Neal to be a guy to step up in those situations. And that's why I have no problem that he's gone.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That is kind of my problem generally with the whole 'step up' thing.

There aren't a ton of guys who you can count on to always score that big goal. Fortunately we have several.

But the Jussi Jokinen's of the world? You can count on them to score consistently in an inconsistent fashion. Over a period of time they will get you the goals, but they are secondary scoring. You count on them to score at a particular time at your peril. And Neal you have to put closer to that category than in the step up category.

Which is fine if you do not expect him to be the former rather than the latter. He is not paid as such either. Instead of $5 million he would be closer to $10 million if he were. As long as that is the case, I think that the criticism is more unreasonable expectations rather than fault.

It is water under the bridge, but I do want to emphasize the general point that most players are not the step up variety, and you need those on your roster to win as well as the step up kind like Crosby and Malkin, and even Letang. Just do not put them in that category and you will not be disappointed.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That is kind of my problem generally with the whole 'step up' thing.

There aren't a ton of guys who you can count on to always score that big goal. Fortunately we have several.

But the Jussi Jokinen's of the world? You can count on them to score consistently in an inconsistent fashion. Over a period of time they will get you the goals, but they are secondary scoring. You count on them to score at a particular time at your peril. And Neal you have to put closer to that category than in the step up category.

Which is fine if you do not expect him to be the former rather than the latter. He is not paid as such either. Instead of $5 million he would be closer to $10 million if he were. As long as that is the case, I think that the criticism is more unreasonable expectations rather than fault.

It is water under the bridge, but I do want to emphasize the general point that most players are not the step up variety, and you need those on your roster to win as well as the step up kind like Crosby and Malkin, and even Letang. Just do not put them in that category and you will not be disappointed.

True, but you want players that contribute even when they aren’t scoring. Good defensively, physical, wins faceoffs, keep possession by working the boards. Something. When Neal wasn’t scoring, he didn’t do much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad