Confirmed with Link: Pens sign D Niclas Andersén out of Sweden

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
About time we get our diamond-in-the-rough Swedish defenseman. Could have been 1989, but noooo...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah I guess he is a Chorney replacement if anything. Him or Harry will be first call up from the sounds of it. I was hoping this would signal the end of Scuderi, but this signing may not be related to that. Either way, I can't complain. We have been asking for them to sign a Euro free agent and they did. I'll reserve judgment until I see him play a few games.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
He had 31 hits in 54 games. There was like 50 more defencemen in SHL that hit more this season.

Hitting isn't the only thing that makes you physical though. Boxing players out, being strong along the boards, winning puck battles, those are all things that make a player physical.

Fantenberg is a good example for Frölunda because I watch them more than Brynäs. He has 52 hits in 50 games, but I don't consider him overly physical just because he has hits, he will step up on guys but he gets over powered quite easily. A lot of his hits come when he is slightly out of position and hitting is the best option rather than letting people get around him. If he was better positionally then I don't think he would have made all of those hits.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Hitting isn't the only thing that makes you physical though. Boxing players out, being strong along the boards, winning puck battles, those are all things that make a player physical.

Fantenberg is a good example for Frölunda because I watch them more than Brynäs. He has 52 hits in 50 games, but I don't consider him overly physical just because he has hits, he will step up on guys but he gets over powered quite easily. A lot of his hits come when he is slightly out of position and hitting is the best option rather than letting people get around him. If he was better positionally then I don't think he would have made all of those hits.

Exactly. How often did Nicklas Lidstrom throw a hit? The game moves to fast for you to be throwing hits and putting yourself out of position, especially as a defenceman. Any defence coach isn't going to teach hitting, it's all about positioning, stick work and, knowing not to engage physically when your opponent has clear body positioning so that your stick is free and you can find your spot to jump in between him and the puck.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Exactly. How often did Nicklas Lidstrom throw a hit? The game moves to fast for you to be throwing hits and putting yourself out of position, especially as a defenceman. Any defence coach isn't going to teach hitting, it's all about positioning, stick work and, knowing not to engage physically when your opponent has clear body positioning so that your stick is free and you can find your spot to jump in between him and the puck.

And this mentality is why we've been stuck with the paul martins of the world for so long.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Are you implying that Paul Martin, as a defender specifically, isn't that good?

No, but if you have a corps with only Paul Martin types, then you get...

...well then you get the Penguins defense of the last five seasons.

Somehow, some way we need to bring back the snarl.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
No, but if you have a corps with only Paul Martin types, then you get...

...well then you get the Penguins defense of the last five seasons.

Somehow, some way we need to bring back the snarl.

What kind of defenders does Chicago have exactly? Can somebody remind me.

There is nothing wrong with being positionally sound and physical when necessary, but not chasing hits.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Any defence coach isn't going to teach hitting, it's all about positioning, stick work and, knowing not to engage physically when your opponent has clear body positioning so that your stick is free and you can find your spot to jump in between him and the puck.

sounds good, but it's not true.....it may work for a few, but hitting or at least a threat of being hit is a must. more lost/stolen pucks occur one on one, when a player is trying to avoid a hit than at any other time.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

There is nothing wrong with being positionally sound and physical when necessary, but not chasing hits.

Not only does that describe the Blackhawks D, that pretty much describes the Lightning & Blackhawks entire roster.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
To be fair to MTLPens though, this team IS gonna struggle if they go full youth movement on D. More growing pains than anything. The guy taking PMarts minutes is gonna look really good on some nights and really bad on others. Especially, if they keep 1 or 2 of Scuds/LJ around with them.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
To be fair to MTLPens though, this team IS gonna struggle if they go full youth movement(more growing pains than anything. the guy taking PMarts minutes is gonna look really good on some nights and really bad on others) on D. Especially if they keep 1 or 2 of Scuds/LJ around with them.

Yes, that is true. I don't think they have much of a choice other than to deal with it though.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yes, that is true. I don't think they have much of a choice other than to deal with it though.

I agree. Really, for me, it's Sekera @ 5.5-6M or go full youth. Sekera's the only bonafide top 4 defender FA. You can slot Franson in there but he has no where near the defending abilities of Sekera.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It isn't like we're going to have 6 rookies on D. If Maatta can regain his form, he's at least a bonafide 2nd pairing d-man. Letang is a legit #1. Lovejoy is a solid 3rd pairing guy. Dumoulin has had 3 full seasons in the AHL, Pouliot is a top-10 draft pick with 3 years of seasoning. Cole is 26. Even Harrington would probably slot into most NHL bluelines.

I guess what I'm seeing is that, youth movement or not, there's nobody unqualified to be in the NHL. Even if Dumoulin (for example) proves he just can't cut it, certainly one of Andersen or Harrington can step in in his place.

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Whether or not this pans out, i like that they're looking at European leagues for possible talent. A welcome change.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh

They may not chase hits but they don't let the opposition live rent free 24/7 in the crease like the pens do to fleury.

Big difference between chasing hits and not getting outmuscled constantly. If only the pens had a young guy with some size... hmmmm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad