Confirmed with Link: Pens sign D Niclas Andersén out of Sweden

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
So the Penguins have signed Swedish defenseman Niclas Andersén to a 1 year ELC.

bb140418pa063.jpg

Size: 6'1", 218 lbs
Shoots: Left

Andersén was originally drafted by L.A. back in 2006 (114th overall) but never crossed the pond. He became an SHL regular at age 19 and spent six seasons with Brynäs, winning the league title in 2012. Played for Cherepovets in the KHL from 2012 to 2014. Returned to Brynäs last season, captaining the club and putting up a career high 5-17-22 in 54 games. Has represented Sweden at the 2008 WJC (winning Silver) and the 2014 World Championships (winning Bronze).

From what I've found in his early 20s he was being compared style-wise to former Kings captain Matthias Norström. A dependable defensive defenseman with physicality and leadership skills. Apparently he didn't develop as well as hoped. But now with his recent success he wants to give it a real shot.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Unfortunately we have a logjam of bottom pairing guys but maybe he steps in as a top 4 guy. How come he has to sign an ELC?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm not doing cartwheels over this signing or anything, but I like that he brings a physical game and is more of a defensive guy instead of another blah puck mover.

If he makes it, great, if he doesn't they didn't lose anything.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
JR said today that he expects him to start in WBS. Unless he has a crazy good camp, I don't see him having a chance at being in the top 4.

We needed a physical dman after trading both the ones we had at the deadline, so he definitely fills an organizational need in that aspect. Could be a solid bottom pairing guy, could be nothing. No risk involved though.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm surprised he's willing to play in WBS, honestly. From Sweden to PA at 27 is a long way to go to ride buses to Binghamton and Hersey, especially when you're captain of your team back home.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm surprised he's willing to play in WBS, honestly. From Sweden to PA at 27 is a long way to go to ride buses to Binghamton and Hersey, especially when you're captain of your team back home.

I imagine him and his agent seen an oppurtunity to step into a situation where he could move up the depth chart quickly. This is only a 1yr deal of course so no biggie.

The people in Brynas seemed to love him:

When he played in KHL he improved his skating alot and now he is a very good 2-way defenceman. He is a real teamplayer, he is the kind of guy who block shots with his face! He was our captain the last season and he our best d-man! We will really miss him and we will have to find another top 2 defenceman! :(

Last edited:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I imagine him and his agent seen an oppurtunity to step into a situation where he could move up the depth chart quickly. This is only a 1yr deal of course so no biggie.

True, it's worth a shot to get his foot in the door I guess. I'm sure he'd be welcome back home next year if things don't pan out for him here.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
BlackLabel knows him quite well. From the roster thread:

He's a decent defensive defenseman. Not many mistakes, rarely out of place, better in transition than Scuderi (not saying much). He doesn't have huge offensive upside, but he isn't a blackhole like Scuds.

He's definitely one of the more physical defensemen in the SHL. He's not Kronwall, but he will clear the crease better than all of our current defensemen (now that Despres is gone).

One from RealityIs:
Originally Posted by realityis
Speaking from first hand experience here and as a Pens fan. This is a good signing. He's pretty physical and has good mobility. I can see him anchoring the 3rd pairing no problem.

Caphit at NHL level/2-way contract:

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He is not physical at all. I have seen him in 50+ games. He uses stick on stick and cover with the body, but he does not use his body or stick to punish others. However himself says that he is physical player lol. Not sure what his view is on physical play, must be diffrent from mine.

IMO, he is decent for 3rd pairing.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
He's definitely one of the more physical defensemen in the SHL. He's not Kronwall, but he will clear the crease better than all of our current defensemen (now that Despres is gone).

He had 31 hits in 54 games. There was like 50 more defencemen in SHL that hit more this season.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Everberg? Melker? Söderberg? Lehterä? Komarov? Bellemare? Raffl? Rafalski? Thomas? Giordano? Zuccarello? Bartley? Emelin? Brunner? Raanta? Zidlicky?

I'll just use Emelin here for comparison purpose, Anderson is paid a LOT less than that hitting has been cone.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He had 31 hits in 54 games. There was like 50 more defencemen in SHL that hit more this season.

Maybe he hits really, really hard? Heh.
I dunno, i haven't watched him. Was just quoting people who have.
Thanks for the heads up though.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
218 pounds, AND he can play a physical game? Defensive defenseman?

If he's even 1/3 of what Mattias Norstrom was in the NHL he'll make an impact on this team.

Too bad he's not a righty but hopefully he has some experience playing right defense.

Good signing...words I had almost forgotten how to spell on this board.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
He is not physical at all. I have seen him in 50+ games. He uses stick on stick and cover with the body, but he does not use his body or stick to punish others. However himself says that he is physical player lol. Not sure what his view is on physical play, must be diffrent from mine.

IMO, he is decent for 3rd pairing.

Never saw him lay a massive hit, but he is more physical in front of the net than all of our current defensemen (except maybe Letang). Which is probably more of an indictment of our current defense more than it is about him being physical.

People in the other thread were comparing him to Bortuzzo or Murray, which I don't see at all. He's really not that much more physical than Scuderi, but that makes him one of our best in that category because Despres is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad