Pre-Game Talk: Pens @ Sens(Monday 7:30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
*sigh* Don't these guys get flu shots, eat the best foods, have the best doctors, have the best routines to maximize their health, etc?

It's so crazy how easily the flu ravages the dressing rooms of NHL teams.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
*sigh* Don't these guys get flu shots, eat the best foods, have the best doctors, have the best routines to maximize their health, etc?

Yeah, it was a pretty ****** time to have the flu go through the team.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007

I thought the same thing, but then was told that there is a difference between influenza (what the flu shot is for), and the 'stomach flu', which is gastroenteritis.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/flu-shot/AN01778

These guys travel all over the continent and eat out a lot more than the average person.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'm not one of those "I got a source" guys, but I do know that a LOT of guys have the stomach flu right now that got Methot earlier. He was agent zero....

Confirmed now by the media - Ryan, Turris, Lehner and I believe Zbad as well.

Perfect time to get sick...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I thought the same thing, but then was told that there is a difference between influenza (what the flu shot is for), and the 'stomach flu', which is gastroenteritis.

These guys travel all over the continent and eat out a lot more than the average person.

Don't some of the teams have their own chefs? Iirc, some Canucks program earlier this year showed their cooks traveling with the team. Been a few behind the scenes shows featuring the Rangers and Red Wings the past few years showing team chefs there, as well. And even without team chefs, under the CBA they will always stay at the top of the line hotels.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm not one of those "I got a source" guys, but I do know that a LOT of guys have the stomach flu right now that got Methot earlier. He was agent zero....

It's confirmed, then. The Ottawa Senators are turning into zombies. They'll eat the brains of their opponents to win. :D

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The nhl should really look into banning the flue. It is really hurting our team currently.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Don't some of the teams have their own chefs? Iirc, some Canucks program earlier this year showed their cooks traveling with the team. Been a few behind the scenes shows featuring the Rangers and Red Wings the past few years showing team chefs there, as well. And even without team chefs, under the CBA they will always stay at the top of the line hotels.

You come home and give your partner a hug. You are now diseased. It's as easy as that.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
We may have a chance and we may not.

Pittsburgh is missing their entire defensemen core and Malkin/Bennett. That said, their young guys have played really well.

If the team comes out to play, we might be okay. I'm just worried about Crosby vs. our defense.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
The flu?

BOO- HOO

nolan.jpg

Senafan

May 17, 2013

Ugh.

Had the gastro flu once, absolutely murders your body.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You come home and give your partner a hug. You are now diseased. It's as easy as that.

Well, for us regular out of shape folks. These guys are supposed to be fitness and health fanatics. Better bodies, better immune systems, yadda yadda yadda, and all that.

They seem to come down with the flu faster than me, and my lungs are garbage. I have virtually zero immunity to any of the airborne nasties going around.

Seems to happen every year with so many NHL teams going splat with a flubug of some sort. But, I'm not a doctor, so what do I know. :dunno:

WhiteLight*

Well, for us regular out of shape folks. These guys are supposed to be fitness and health fanatics. Better bodies, better immune systems, yadda yadda yadda, and all that.

They seem to come down with the flu faster than me, and my lungs are garbage. I have virtually zero immunity to any of the airborne nasties going around.

Seems to happen every year with so many NHL teams going splat with a flubug of some sort. But, I'm not a doctor, so what do I know. :dunno:

Being a pro athlete doesn't make you immune/a superhero

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I work at a Hospital and never get the Flu Shot / never have gotten the Flu.

Unfortunately, passing the Flu on from person to person on a Hockey team is inevitable. Even someone like me, who doesn't get the flu, can spread it.

You add in the fact that a good chunk of our team has kids, and they're pretty much screwed this time of year.

Last edited:

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
You add in the fact that a good chunk of our team has kids, and their pretty much screwed this time of year.

I went years and years without anything worse than the sniffles... and then I had kids.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I work at a Hospital and never get the Flu Shot / never have gotten the Flu.

Unfortunately, passing the Flu on from person to person on a Hockey team is inevitable. Even someone like me, who doesn't get the flu, can spread it.

You add in the fact that a good chunk of our team has kids, and their pretty much screwed this time of year.

Isn't it required for hospital and healthcare workers to get the flu shot nowadays? Or did the union/powers that be strike that down?

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010

Yeah, I just wanted to take this time to remind people that if you hold the opinion that the flu shot is useless because, "I got a flu shot x years ago and I still got the flu that year," that seasonal influenza is pretty devastating and not your run of the mill "stay-home-and-eat-chicken-soup" type of flu. There's a small chance you'll end up hospitalized or dead.

Obviously not saying you guys are suggesting this, but it's one of the most common reasons people don't get vaccinated. They assume every case of food-poisoning or cold is the flu, and that somehow the shot should protect you against every type of illness you could possibly get during the winter. It protects you against one strain of the virus which is especially harsh. And now you can really skip all the lines: go to the pharmacy, get the shot, and you can continue shopping for hot pockets.

Please, please just get vaccinated.

/rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad