Pre-Game Talk: Pens seek to douse the Flames | Sat 3.00 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
As news filtering through on twitter

seems appropriate to get this thread up and running.

So safe to assume Murray goes against the Devils? and using the similar approach when they played the Coyotes and Capitals?

There will be no Porter in the lineup either

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Almost started another thread for this. I'll be somewhere in the Strip or Downtown watching the game. Excited to see either Schultz or Archibald.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Is Zatkoff even still active at this point? I guess we'll carry 12F and 3 Goalies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
As a hockey fan I always like to see guys like Porter work hard and make it. As a Penguins fan I want the coach to realize he has better options.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As a hockey fan I always like to see guys like Porter work hard and make it. As a Penguins fan I want the coach to realize he has better options.

Really though. Losing Porter's a "tough setback for us"?

Uh, no.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Is Zatkoff even still active at this point? I guess we'll carry 12F and 3 Goalies.

I assume Zats will be waived once Fehr/Bennett come back.
And Archibald sent down.

That puts the roster @ 23:
13F 8D 2G

And according to CapFriendly, under the cap easily.

ETA: Wait. LJ is on LTIR or IR so they can keep Zats if they wanted.
13/7/3

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I believe JR described Schultz as a long-term project. So he's probably a guy they want as insurance short-term and plan to keep as a project with upside long-term.

I guess we'll see though. It certainly would be a waste if he doesn't play that much and then they let him walk this summer.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Still no clue why he was acquired. If he's just injury insurance / in case Cole still sucks, someone from WBS would have been just fine.

I think it's more, the offensive D that can skate and join a rush kinda depth if a Letang or Daley or Pouliot get injured.

Take last year, for example when the playoffs hit, there was barely anyone on the roster who could join the rush.
I think thats why they acquired him.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Only a 3rd. If we can get shultz some games see how he does. I think he can be a #4 or #5 for us. Or just a did

Not a bad deal in a vaccuum, I'm just not sure MS can/will make room for him.

I believe JR described Schultz as a long-term project. So he's probably a guy they want as insurance short-term and plan to keep as a project with upside long-term.

I guess we'll see though. It certainly would be a waste if he doesn't play that much and then they let him walk this summer.

I have no issue with him as a project and potential for next year, but I'm not convinced they'll even re-sign him since I think his QO would be pretty high. Either way, I hope he gets a few games in but MS does not seem to like rotating guys unless he's forced to by injuries. Cole has been fine, but I'm hoping to see him within the next few games.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Happy to see the Pens moving north through the neutral zone but I would like to see them adjust to collapsing defenses better.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
You can not qualify a player and then resign him right after. We did that with bearmanpig. Nobodies going to offer Schultz anything close too 3.9 mil.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Still no clue why he was acquired. If he's just injury insurance / in case Cole still sucks, someone from WBS would have been just fine.

No. Not really.

The Pens didn't have enough depth to go into the playoffs with Lovejoy not being injured. Unless you expect bottom pairing D-men to play up again. Schultz alleviates that. Schultz, though this season was down for him is a offensive D-man who could come in and fill a top 4 slot if Letang, Daley, Maatta or Dumoulin go down.

Here's your top 4 selections.

Letang
Maatta
Daley
Dumoulin
Pouliot
Schultz

Bottom pairing

Lovejoy
Cole

There is your 6 regulars with two spares you can at least count on. This isn't early in the season, they are moving into the playoffs.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You can not qualify a player and then resign him right after. We did that with bearmanpig. Nobodies going to offer Schultz anything close too 3.9 mil.
Yeah, but they could offer him more than the Pens or he could view somewhere else as a better fit or want to play somewhere else for personal reasons. There's no guarantee that he's going to cut the Pens a break because they gave a 3rd up for him...especially if they never play him.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Yeah, but they could offer him more than the Pens or he could view somewhere else as a better fit or want to play somewhere else for personal reasons. There's no guarantee that he's going to cut the Pens a break because they gave a 3rd up for him...especially if they never play him.

Yeah thats true. Theres no guarantee. I dont know what he will think but he ran after the money before and look where it got him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah thats true. Theres no guarantee. I dont know what he will think but he ran after the money before and look where it got him.
Well, it got him a lot of money :laugh:

But I hope you're right. If he didn't learn anything about only chasing the money, then maybe he's not a guy you want on your team anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad