Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Dr Strangedubas "Tankination" is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don’t understand this. He’s been pretty active.

Smith, Acciari, Graves, Eller, Karlsson, Bemstrom, Ruhwedel out, Guentzel out, Bunting in. That’s a ton of moves for less than 12 months without even counting the Jarry contract.
Don't forget the prospects and draft pick(s) we picked up.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don’t understand this. He’s been pretty active.

Smith, Acciari, Graves, Eller, Karlsson, Bemstrom, Ruhwedel out, Guentzel out, Bunting in. That’s a ton of moves for less than 12 months without even counting the Jarry contract.
Most GMs see a ton of turnover in the bottom 6 and role players. I guess more to the point of what I'm getting at is, it's not like the results are much different than Hextall, so at the end of the day, if there isn't an improvement in the team's prospect pool or its place in the standings, then it doesn't matter how many "good" things Dubas wants to do or claims to want to do. He's been making some smaller moves, sure. The Jake trade is too soon to tell, so who knows how it'll end up in the end. He could quite easily be better than Hextall-- it'd be hard not to be-- but he'll have to actually do something to do that.

Even if FSG is holding him back, at the end of the day, you can't evaluate the team based on a hypothetical; you have to go with the actual results.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Realistically, this team is only 4 or 5 moves away from being a legitimate contender if we can get the same play from Sid as we’ve had over the last 2 seasons. Not even big moves either. Just letting some dead weight go, (JC,Harkins,Acciari etc) and getting youngsters to fight for those spots, finding better fits than Graves and Smith for around the same money, swapping TJ for someone of equal or better value, and getting a coach who recognizes what he has. A free agent who can pot 30 would be gravy.

easy peasy

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Realistically, this team is only 4 or 5 moves away from being a legitimate contender if we can get the same play from Sid as we’ve had over the last 2 seasons. Not even big moves either. Just letting some dead weight go, (JC,Harkins,Acciari etc) and getting youngsters to fight for those spots, finding better fits than Graves and Smith for around the same money, swapping TJ for someone of equal or better value, and getting a coach who recognizes what he has. A free agent who can pot 30 would be gravy.

easy peasy
You mean like Guentzel? ;)

Reactions: Pens x

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The tenure of Dubas will be the transition from the all in for the core to what the next Pens roster and more traditional roster building. Next year is iffy unless Jarry plays up to his ability/talent. Graves is much better. Acciari gives the Pens solid 4th line jam. ST Ivany keeps improving. Pens get into the play them and they get better mode as Sullivan gets on board that this is the way it has to go. I hope the Pens get some lottery luck here and draft a good prospect or two to add to the system. Dubas will have to make changes this off season and next to move past the expected decline and as he said get younger, faster, bigger and then better. Pens have enough parts here to be good with smart moves.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Looking at the incoming crop of free agent forwards who might be able to slot into the Pens' top 6...here are the 40+ point scorers age 30 or younger (not in any particular order):

Sam Reinhart
Jake Guentzel
Sean Monahan
Jonathan Drouin
Teuvo Teravainen
Anthony Mantha
Tyler Bertuzzi
Chandler Stephenson
Jake Debrusk
Warren Foegle
Anthony Duclair
Max Domi
Daniel Sprong

Anyone have an inkling which guys from that list the Pens might be interested in going after? I assume Florida will make Reinhart an offer he can't refuse, and I doubt Guentzel will be back. One of the "lesser" guys on a shorter deal makes more sense.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Looking at the incoming crop of free agent forwards who might be able to slot into the Pens' top 6...here are the 40+ point scorers age 30 or younger (not in any particular order):

Sam Reinhart
Jake Guentzel
Sean Monahan
Jonathan Drouin
Teuvo Teravainen
Anthony Mantha
Tyler Bertuzzi
Chandler Stephenson
Jake Debrusk
Warren Foegle
Anthony Duclair
Max Domi
Daniel Sprong

Anyone have an inkling which guys from that list the Pens might be interested in going after? I assume Florida will make Reinhart an offer he can't refuse, and I doubt Guentzel will be back. One of the "lesser" guys on a shorter deal makes more sense.
Throwing Sprong’s name out there like that isn’t throwing red meat to some people on this board lol

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Sam Reinhart
Jake Guentzel
Sean Monahan
Jonathan Drouin
Teuvo Teravainen
Anthony Mantha
Tyler Bertuzzi
Chandler Stephenson
Jake Debrusk
Warren Foegle
Anthony Duclair
Max Domi
Daniel Sprong

Sprong won't happen bc Sully hates him

It's gotta be Bertuzzi, but I don't think he's a smart enough player to hang with Sid. I'd prefer Debrusk.

But Duclair and Geno would be sweet magic...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Most GMs see a ton of turnover in the bottom 6 and role players. I guess more to the point of what I'm getting at is, it's not like the results are much different than Hextall, so at the end of the day, if there isn't an improvement in the team's prospect pool or its place in the standings, then it doesn't matter how many "good" things Dubas wants to do or claims to want to do. He's been making some smaller moves, sure. The Jake trade is too soon to tell, so who knows how it'll end up in the end. He could quite easily be better than Hextall-- it'd be hard not to be-- but he'll have to actually do something to do that.

Even if FSG is holding him back, at the end of the day, you can't evaluate the team based on a hypothetical; you have to go with the actual results.

Most GMs don’t turnover 40% of the opening day roster and add the Norris winner. Then trade maybe the 2nd-3rd best player on the team in a sell move. All within 12 months.

I’m not arguing everything was good, it’s 100% been a mixed bag, but this idea Dubas hasn’t been active is crazy to me. He’s made a ton of changes and his fingerprints are all over this roster.

Yes they need a new coach but the bottom 6 sucking is on him.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

Sam Reinhart
Jake Guentzel
Sean Monahan
Jonathan Drouin
Teuvo Teravainen
Anthony Mantha
Tyler Bertuzzi
Chandler Stephenson
Jake Debrusk
Warren Foegle
Anthony Duclair
Max Domi
Daniel Sprong

I'd be happy with any of these...
Reinhart
Stephenson
Foegle
Debrusk

Reactions: Darren McCord

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Most GMs don’t turnover 40% of the opening day roster and add the Norris winner. Then trade maybe the 2nd-3rd best player on the team in a sell move. All within 12 months.

I’m not arguing everything was good, it’s 100% been a mixed bag, but this idea Dubas hasn’t been active is crazy to me. He’s made a ton of changes and his fingerprints are all over this roster.

Yes they need a new coach but the bottom 6 sucking is on him.
I shouldn't have implied that he wasn't active, so you're right that's on me. What I'm getting at is still the fundamental disconnect between what Dubas is preaching (get younger!) and what we do (stay older! keep grinding vets into dust). And I still disagree that it's Dubas' fingerprints on this roster-- if anything, we have Sullivan's fingerprints here, and whether or not that's by FSG's design, I think it should impact how you rate Dubas as a GM.

But regarding activity, I see him slightly better than Hextall, but not really proactive/reactive like GMJR. None of the 3 are great, but we've never really had a "great" GM in my lifetime (Patrick was arguably the best, maybe.) For the most part, even the moves are the same moves (sans trading Jake or trading for EK65 which might be great in hindsight or not, we'll just have to wait and see on the Jake trade, the EK65 trade is not looking so amazing) that we saw with Hextall, that's what I'm mostly confused at. It's not like Hextall wasn't an active GM-- he was decently active, he just made moves that didn't move the needle at all. I see the same pattern with Dubas thus far, and again, not surprising since the moves have all seemingly been made with Sullivan's input.

Again, at the end of the day, I don't think Dubas has done anything one way or the other. He's not been an utter liability-- this roster as is could easily be much more functional with some bench tweaks and working on the PP-- but he hasn't been helpful in improving our position-- if anything, we're back in the exact same position we were last season. That is, letting everything hinge on game 82 before we figure out if we're golfing or play offing.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California

Sam Reinhart
Jake Guentzel
Sean Monahan
Jonathan Drouin
Teuvo Teravainen
Anthony Mantha
Tyler Bertuzzi
Chandler Stephenson
Jake Debrusk
Warren Foegle
Anthony Duclair
Max Domi
Daniel Sprong

I’ve always liked Max Domi

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I'd be happy with any of these...
Reinhart
Stephenson
Foegle
Debrusk

I want Stephenson. Shouldn't cost a ton. Can PK and be a number 2 center. You could run a 2A to 2B.

DOC - Sid - Rust
Bunting - Geno - XXX
XXX - Stephenson - Rakell
XXX - Eller - XXX

Send Smith and Accari out. Bring in another top 6. Let Puustinen, Poulin, Yager and the guys from the Jake trade battle out for the bottom 6 spots in camp. Just get younger where you can.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
After seeing how Bunting has transformed Malkin's line, I would love to get someone similar for Sid in FA if they can't convince Jake to come back. Maybe Bertuzzi could be an option?
Bunting feeds on the bones and souls of his fallen enemies.
Bunting can kill 2 stones with 1 bird.
Bunting can believe it's not butter.
Bunting's wife once gave birth to a 16 oz. steak, the afterbirth was sautéed onions and fries.
Bunting once punched a hole through a cow to see what was on the otherside.
Legands say Stan Lee and Jack Kirby came up with all the famous Marvel characters by listening to Bunting talk in his sleep.

• Haha
Reactions: LiffLaff

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I want Stephenson. Shouldn't cost a ton. Can PK and be a number 2 center. You could run a 2A to 2B.

DOC - Sid - Rust
Bunting - Geno - XXX
XXX - Stephenson - Rakell
XXX - Eller - XXX

Send Smith and Accari out. Bring in another top 6. Let Puustinen, Poulin, Yager and the guys from the Jake trade battle out for the bottom 6 spots in camp. Just get younger where you can.

Probably costs 6+

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I’d prefer someone with a little more bite to their game.
GCR was pretty dominant as a line. I would prefer keeping what works, and then find a better (more fitting) Smith replacement for Geno.

Nobody loves 30 year old, ~50pt players making $5M+ quite like the Pens and their fans. :laugh:
Because it's almost impossible to get a sub-28 year old RFA that's any good without trading draft picks for them.

I do believe Dubas will target teams with cap issues, so we may be able to squeeze out a Necas or something, but that's the exception not the norm. If we get Jake, we're not getting Necas from them.
BTW...Necas will also be a 50pt player making $5M+, but just won't be 30 years old :D.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Probably costs 6+

I think short term sure. Long term no. Depends what the pens want.

He has 89 career goals and only hit 20 once.

O'Reilly got 4.5 mill last year and is only 2 years older.

Nobody loves 30 year old, ~50pt players making $5M+ quite like the Pens and their fans. :laugh:

If you move out Carter, Accairi, Smith to bring in Stephenson and let Poulin or others fill in you still get drastically younger. You don't get young players in FA.

They need a better 3rd line / 2nd line fill in center than Eller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad