Pre-Game Talk: Pens Ride Into Vancouver Wed Nov 4, 2015 10:00pm - Root, SN at Rogers Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The 2 Vancouver games last year were awful games for the pens, 2 of the worst games of the year, hopefully they have a better performance this year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Doesn't Sid give post-game interviews anymore, as of a few weeks ago? Can't find any on the Pen's page. Not that I mind, not even Jack Bauer could get anything useful or interesting out of him in those interviews.

That's actually a pretty good point. He seems to give interviews after nearly every game. I wonder if the PR team told him to stop so he doesn't have to keep answering questions about his scoring woes.

Either way, it doesn't bother me. Sid has been faithful giving interviews so many times through the years while Malkin does it when he feels like it. I don't mind Sid deciding to take a back seat there for a while.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
The problem with the pens playing the nucks is that the twins won't be touched. They will have an all-skate and do whatever they want, especially on the PP.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Meh, I've almost lost the will to care lol

I've watched periodic snippets of the last few games and its such boring uninspired hockey. We have a star studded line up but they are playing a brand of hockey so dull, it almost defies belief.

I mean, yay for winning. Yay for having the best gaa in the league. Yay for MAF being one of the top 3 goalies in the league right now. But a team that boasts Sid, Geno, Kessel, Horns, Perron and Letang to be: a) in the bottom 10 in the league in scoring and b) bottom 3 in pp% .. well, its sickening to watch.

So meh. Until things get a little more exciting (which as long as HCMJ is still around, I wont be holding my breath), I'll do other stuff and read the boards. You guys n gals are far more entertaining than the on ice product right now :)

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Say what you will about the Toronto media (and most of it bad), but they and the fans hold the team's feet to the fire a lot more than in Pittsburgh. I feel like it's going to take a significant slump (again) or a lot of fan pressure before the front office thinks about the coaching situation.

Or maybe they're just waiting for January 1st when they repeal that dumb rule about coach poaching. (Which is fun to say. Coach poaching. Coooooach, pooooooaching!)

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Or maybe they're just waiting for January 1st when they repeal that dumb rule about coach poaching. (Which is fun to say. Coach poaching. Coooooach, pooooooaching!)

I think this is the most logical assumption there can be, considering the summer media criticism for not requesting pick compensation for shero. I doubt they'll be too gung-ho about departing with an even more valuable pick if they're just two months away from not having to. That's if they even mean to in the first place, considering the factors you highlighted.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Please **** them up this time, i'm sick of losing to this team and keep hearing about it every year.

I feel your pain...

The 2010 game when Fluery AND Johnson were hurt, and John Curry gave up like 5 goals in 5 minutes being particularly annoying. I was at a bar in my Malkin jersey and the jeering was incessant. Apparently Canucks fans have no sympathy for beating up on a 3rd and 4th string goalie.

I recall getting super drunk and cheering loudly every time Pechurski made a save. :laugh:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Say what you will about the Toronto media (and most of it bad), but they and the fans hold the team's feet to the fire a lot more than in Pittsburgh. I feel like it's going to take a significant slump (again) or a lot of fan pressure before the front office thinks about the coaching situation.

I can't help but hear this in my head as a B-52s style chorus.

"It's cooooaaach poaching (coach coach poaching!)"

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I feel your pain...

The 2010 game when Fluery AND Johnson were hurt, and John Curry gave up like 5 goals in 5 minutes being particularly annoying. I was at a bar in my Malkin jersey and the jeering was incessant. Apparently Canucks fans have no sympathy for beating up on a 3rd and 4th string goalie.

I recall getting super drunk and cheering loudly every time Pechurski made a save. :laugh:

That was my first Pens game, i was sitting in the booth like usual. A chick there was wearing a team Canada Lemieux jersey.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
That was my first Pens game, i was sitting in the booth like usual. A chick there was wearing a team Canada Lemieux jersey.

I went to the 2011 home opener against the Pens, and I was surprised by the number of Pens fans I saw. Same Malkin jersey also got some jeers on the way out after Malkin scored the game winning shootout goal. :nod:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel your pain...

I mean, be them for a second, all 50 of their hardcore fans must be choked that every time they sniff the finals they embarrass themselves some how and choke harder than a Jenna Jameson classic.

I remember that game, I find it sad that they would be such dicks about it. I bet if the Pens win, they'd pull some BS excuse about something.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I went to the 2011 home opener against the Pens, and I was surprised by the number of Pens fans I saw. Same Malkin jersey also got some jeers on the way out after Malkin scored the game winning shootout goal. :nod:

Living out here for a bit now, it's nice to see so many Pens fans at the game, I will be attending the game (I have family down visiting and managed to get my hands on 6 additional tickets, so there will be 8 of us Pens fans at the game, please don't let me down team).

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I love talking to Canucks fans about him, I'd like to be on whatever it is they are on because according to them, he's been a stud.

I don't know which Canucks fans you are speaking to, because it's a very 50/50 split on hating him entirely, or thinking he's been okay. Anyone calling him a 'stud' is in a certain minority. They may just be the most vocal?

EDIT: Oh, you must be referring to non HFBoards fans. Yep. They're not as educated in analyzing hockey. I facepalm all day when talking to most Canucks fans. They literally just repeat lines they read from the Metro.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't know which Canucks fans you are speaking to, because it's a very 50/50 split on hating him entirely, or thinking he's been okay. Anyone calling him a 'stud' is in a certain minority. They may just be the most vocal?

EDIT: Oh, you must be referring to non HFBoards fans. Yep. They're not as educated in analyzing hockey. I facepalm all day when talking to most Canucks fans. They literally just repeat lines they read from the Metro.

Both really.

It's a fan base that lives in a bubble, they have no idea about the rest of the league.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I love talking to Canucks fans about him, I'd like to be on whatever it is they are on because according to them, he's been a stud.

He's not a stud. Majority of the numb nuts in our fanbase feel to the need to sugar coat and justify every move made so it looks to be in the Canucks favour. ex) See Virtanen pick.

He is a solid third liner, just not paid like one. Sutter's basically rolling in it just to be a good locker room guy for four years (thanks JB). Personally, I don't mind it because we're going to need to suck in order to replace the likes of the Sedin's with legitimate talent anyway.

On the flipside, what's going on with Plotnikov? He was supposed to form the dynamic Russian duo with Malkin. Was he just overrated?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
He's not a stud. Majority of the numb nuts in our fanbase feel to the need to sugar coat and justify every move made so it looks to be in the Canucks favour. ex) See Virtanen pick.

He is a solid third liner, just not paid like one. Sutter's basically rolling in it just to be a good locker room guy for four years (thanks JB). Personally, I don't mind it because we're going to need to suck in order to replace the likes of the Sedin's with legitimate talent anyway.

On the flipside, what's going on with Plotnikov? He was supposed to form the dynamic Russian duo with Malkin. Was he just overrated?

He keeps getting pulled out of the lineup at random so it's a bit harsh to judge him yet. Hasn't had enough of a chance to see really. His defensive game is on point and he has made some real heads up plays offensively but yeah, hasn't come together yet.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I have a feeling we'll lose. We've been riding too high (either just winning by the seat of our pants offensively or from Fleury being insanely lucky and making key saves right now) so what comes up...always comes down.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I have a feeling we'll lose. We've been riding too high (either just winning by the seat of our pants offensively or from Fleury being insanely lucky and making key saves right now) so what comes up...always comes down.

"Wooooo, we just beat two lottery teams. We be hustlin'."

I kid ... mostly. Yes, Im well aware they beat the Preds and Caps.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Both really.

It's a fan base that lives in a bubble, they have no idea about the rest of the league.

I don't think it's fair to make generalizations about an entire fanbase like that (Other than Philly haha). I've been following their board to read about Sutter and it is pretty split. You must know a lot of non HFBoards Canucks fans.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Anyone that thought he would form a dynamic Russian duo with Malkin was clearly overrating him. He can be a top 6 forward but only as a role player (dig in the corners, get the puck to Malkin, and get to the net). I could see Plots-Malkin-Kessel working out, but Plots needs to get used to the NA game and gain some confidence. He shouldn't be a regular healthy scratch, but our coach makes dumb decisions.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm still trying to understand what Kunitz does that Plotnikov can't. Aside from be Kunitz and make Steiggy squeal with joy when making routine plays.

They better get Plotnikov going b/c this forward depth will start to disappear as soon as next season.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm still trying to understand what Kunitz does that Plotnikov can't. Aside from be Kunitz and make Steiggy squeal with joy when making routine plays.

They better get Plotnikov going b/c this forward depth will start to disappear as soon as next season.

It's not quite that dire. Plotnikov is an RFA, though he'll probably go back to KHL if he has no chance to play next year.

Bennett, Perron, and Cullen are the UFAs, but we have a fair shot at re-signing the former two.

We have Fehr, Kessel, and Bonino locked up already. Even if we somehow lost Bennett and Perron our forward depth would still be fairly good next year. Fehr/Bones, Malkin/Kessel, Sid/Horny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad