Pre-Game Talk: Pens Ride Into Vancouver Wed Nov 4, 2015 10:00pm - Root, SN at Rogers Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Please sit Kunitz. Please sit Kunitz. Please sit Kunitz. Please sit Kunitz. Please sit Kunitz.

Sprong - Crosby - Hornqvist
Fehr - Malkin - Kessel
Perron - Bonino - Bennett
Plotnikov - Cullen - Dupuis

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
J Bomb wrote that Kunitz is on a maintenance day, but he's also become a "cornerstone of the bottom 6 and they probably don't want to shake that up."

I like trying Sprong on the Left side. Sid's future gunner

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Anyone have any stats on how Sutter has produced when he isn't with the Twins?

Curious. As those two will do everything, all you need to be is a competent shooter (which for as much as Sutter sucks, he is a competent shooter for the most part).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Since when do bottom-6 forwards fetch top-4 d-men?

Unless it was a team so deep that a 3rd line forward that could be a top 6 player is only there because of the depth, it'd have to be the kind of incompetence that saw us land Lovejoy for Despres.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Anyone have any stats on how Sutter has produced when he isn't with the Twins?

Curious. As those two will do everything, all you need to be is a competent shooter (which for as much as Sutter sucks, he is a competent shooter for the most part).

http://www.puckalytics.com/superwowy.html

I can't link the results, but I can summarize

5 on 5 (only has stats for 5 on 5), the line has played 49 minutes and produced 3 total goals in that time (1 from Sutter), while giving up none. Rate-wise, 3.6 GF/60 is really, really good. Their corsi % is not good, but that doesn't particularly matter when your GF% is 100 and your GF/60 is north of 3.

Without them, in ~100 minutes of 5 on 5, Sutter's been on the ice for 3 goals (none by him), and 4 goals from the other team, which is roughly half the line scoring rate, for a 42% GF%, which is sort of awful. His corsi is also awful.

5 on 5, he's actually scoring goals at half the rate he did with us last year, though his assists per minute is way up (100% of which are second assists). The one place he's killing it is in the dot, where he's at close to 55%.

TL; DR version of all this is that Sutter's been a little worse for the Canucks than he was for us last year (even including his time on the twins' line) and a decent amount better than he was for us two years ago. If he keeps scoring on special teams, he's set to more or less match his goal total from last year and his assist total, while at career best rates (and nearly twice as high as what he averages), looks like something of a fluke (4 second assists and zero primaries).

Fordy

May 28, 2008
only kunitz has the power to become a cornerstone of anything within 2 games. they really lay it on thick

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Im so sour on Sid these days. If he doesn't turn it around I have no problem trading him.

Let's not get nutty here. Don't go Full Rossi.

Sid deserves the criticism of late and maybe he's not Joe Leadership (also known as Joe Victory), but unless the return is unbelievable I don't think that's, how you say.... smart. Perspective.

Sid is still a great player he's just not doing the things that have made him successful in the past. Some of that is on the coach not pushing him in the right direction, some of it is Sid just being Sid. Domo arigato Mr. Roboto.

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
Beau_Injury_Counter3.jpg

I like trying Sprong on the Left side. Sid's future gunner
This. Even if Kunitz sitting was just a maintenance day, having Sprong practice as a LW is huge as it opens up the possibility of maybe eventually sliding him up to L1. At least I'm going to try to force myself to believe that MJ would really consider doing that.
(Maybe should wait to see a picture...make sure they didn't just flip Bennett on that line to practice with Sprong as RW.)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
http://www.puckalytics.com/superwowy.html

I can't link the results, but I can summarize

5 on 5 (only has stats for 5 on 5), the line has played 49 minutes and produced 3 total goals in that time (1 from Sutter), while giving up none. Rate-wise, 3.6 GF/60 is really, really good. Their corsi % is not good, but that doesn't particularly matter when your GF% is 100 and your GF/60 is north of 3.

Without them, in ~100 minutes of 5 on 5, Sutter's been on the ice for 3 goals (none by him), and 4 goals from the other team, which is roughly half the line scoring rate, for a 42% GF%, which is sort of awful. His corsi is also awful.

5 on 5, he's actually scoring goals at half the rate he did with us last year, though his assists per minute is way up (100% of which are second assists). The one place he's killing it is in the dot, where he's at close to 55%.

TL; DR version of all this is that Sutter's been a little worse for the Canucks than he was for us last year (even including his time on the twins' line) and a decent amount better than he was for us two years ago. If he keeps scoring on special teams, he's set to more or less match his goal total from last year and his assist total, while at career best rates (and nearly twice as high as what he averages), looks like something of a fluke (4 second assists and zero primaries).

I love talking to Canucks fans about him, I'd like to be on whatever it is they are on because according to them, he's been a stud.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You guys know better.

They won't bench Kunitz.
It's between Sprong and Plots.
Scratching Plots means a righty needs to play LW though.
Sprong, Bennett or Fehr.

penspenspens

Feb 2, 2014
Doesn't Sid give post-game interviews anymore, as of a few weeks ago? Can't find any on the Pen's page. Not that I mind, not even Jack Bauer could get anything useful or interesting out of him in those interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad