Confirmed with Link: Pens re-sign Kevin Porter (1-year, $575,000, two-way)

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Come on man... that's enough. You know it's a bad signing. Hopefully there won't be any young players blocked by Porter and we can all forget about him.

But if he does weasel his way on to the roster and starts playing meaningful minutes, then the Pens didn't learn squat from 2016.

No, it's not a bad signing. It's a bad signing if you assume he plays the majority of the season in the NHL with a healthy lineup.

I reject that assumption, so I'm evaluating the signing for what I believe it is. Bringing back an AHL veteran to help a pretty young WBS team on a 2 way deal is fine.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Just kind of annoying cuz it will be him up over the Sundqvist's, Guentzel's, Simon's, Rowney's and so on.
Would rather the young guys get the NHL experience and see what they can do.
But no biggie, it should only be for one yr.

JR said "we think Sundqvist is really close" and if Cullen is brought back that gives "Sundqvist a little more time in WBS or he can switch to RW" (paraphrases).

That doesn't sound to me like a situation where Porter plays over a healthy Sundqvist for any significant length of time.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This is clearly the worst thing to happen to the Penguins organization ever.

Erm...they've already pointed to Sundqvist as Cullen's replacement if Cullen doesn't return, which means Porter's one reason for playing as much as he did (him being a center who could play on the fourth line and not embarrass himself on the PK) is going to require at least one injury to happen as both roles have seen youth pass him up (Sundqvist as a center and Kühnhackl as a PKer), meaning he's likely either a spare forward or in the AHL...which is exactly the kind of caliber of player he is.

Yawn. I know everyone wants to find something to be angry about, but...yawn.

Porter wasn't even that bad, he's just your standard veteran AHL fill-in.

I simply don't understand why you would ever sign a player to your organization that brings nothing to the roster. Face/offs? PK? LOL

Why not take a flier on young kid with speed, grit or skill that flamed out with an organization??? At least there would be the hope of an upside with a change of scenery. Porter brings nothing except comfort to Sully. It's not the worst thing to ever happen to the Pens. I just don't get it. It's the easy move, it's a lazy decision.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I simply don't understand why you would ever sign a player to your organization that brings nothing to the roster. Face/offs? PK? LOL

Why not take a flier on young kid with speed, grit or skill that flamed out with an organization??? At least there would be the hope of an upside with a change of scenery. Porter brings nothing except comfort to Sully. It's not the worst thing to ever happen to the Pens. I just don't get it. It's the easy move, it's a lazy decision.

Because signing Porter now doesn't preclude you from signing those players later, but it's not July 1 and there's no guarantee you will get any of those players and Porter is good for the AHL and passable as depth for the 4th line in worst case scenario situations. He's a useful person to have in an organization and signing him doesn't mean you can't acquire better players.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

HE WAS SIGNED TO A 2 WAY DEAL AND WILL SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THE FREAKING MINORS!!!

I don't know why you can't grasp that. You do know that a lot of AHL vets are signed to 2 way NHL deals, right?

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
HE WAS SIGNED TO A 2 WAY DEAL AND WILL SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THE FREAKING MINORS!!!

I don't know why you can't grasp that. You do know that a lot of AHL vets are signed to 2 way NHL deals, right?

Again, you are upset because you assume the bolded statement, I'm assuming the opposite.

I have to say in my defense. I had very similar discussions with a bunch of regulars here when I argued against the signing of Craig Adams. People were saying the same thing..... minor deal, 4th line part time player.....

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Again, you are upset because you assume the bolded statement, I'm assuming the opposite.

I have to say in my defense. I had very similar discussions with a bunch of regulars here when I argued against the signing of Craig Adams. People were saying the same thing..... minor deal, 4th line part time player.....

That's weird. I didn't realize Craig Adams signed a 2 way deal with the Pens.

As for the Craig Adams discussions you had, I'd like to see some evidence if you want to use it as a defense.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I see 40 page potential in this thread.

I hope so... I have so much vitriol for this guy I could go on for days:laugh::laugh:

ClG5bG1WIAA1RwB.jpg:large

And if you go back to the preseason threads from last year, you will note that I haven't changed my tune. I believe I stated after watching him in one game that he may be among the worst players I have ever watched in a Pens jersey.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
then i'd rather give guentzel a game. i'd rather throw archibald on the right wing. i'd rather see simon on the left. i really don't understand the notion of "we need a guy that won't lose us the game" and i have no idea what players would be considered a "nuisance or distraction" when they aren't playing. i don't think 8 minutes of any of these guys loses you a game, and really, i don't give a **** about losing a regular season game, especially after last season. i'd rather give a kid some seasoning, the porter's of the world are just a waste of time to entertain

it's not really of any consequence, he's not gonna be adams, hopefully, but it's just annoying

and of course there's the off-chance he plays 41 games again. why risk it?

You also would want Sidney Crosby to be flanked by Megna and Bennett, so you'll forgive me if I trust Sullivan's wisdom over yours.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I see 40 page potential in this thread.

I was wondering why it's on Page 3. Porter being signed for WBS and potential NHL depth if injuries occur? Okay. I don't care either way as many of us do not.

I can't believe the very small minority are actually wasting effort on this. :laugh: It's ridiculous.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Literally every organization has at least 3, usually 5+ of these kind of veteran AHL guys. When you have 50 contract spots and 30 (soon to be 31) teams...how much free young talent do you really think is out there?

And if you go back to the preseason threads from last year, you will note that I haven't changed my tune. I believe I stated after watching him in one game that he may be among the worst players I have ever watched in a Pens jersey.

I just don't see it. At all. Porter brings nothing to the table, but he also doesn't hurt you in any way. I can think of at least a dozen players who wore the Penguins jersey in the X-Generation era alone that were worse and I know you've seen more bad Penguins teams than I have. You can do much worse when you're talking about a guy who is going to sit around 15th or 16th on the forward depth chart.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Literally every organization has at least 3, usually 5+ of these kind of veteran AHL guys. When you have 50 contract spots and 30 (soon to be 31) teams...how much free young talent do you really think is out there?

I just don't see it. At all. Porter brings nothing to the table, but he also doesn't hurt you in any way. I can think of at least a dozen players who wore the Penguins jersey in the X-Generation era alone that were worse and I know you've seen more bad Penguins teams than I have.

Different categories for terrible players. I have always had a soft spot for players who were terrible at hockey but played like a spaz, mainly because they remind me of myself:laugh:

But players like Porter just make my blood boil. It's almost like they are entitled to a roster spot, they almost ooze it out of their being.

I will once again state, I would much rather a guy like Setisto on the roster than Porter. Setisto would make me laugh... Porter makes me get angry. :rant:

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Guys, the main reason we won the cup is because Porter got hurt. It wasn't the coaching change, it wasn't the Hagelin deal, it wasn't the Daley deal, it wasn't the emergence of the HBK line, it wasn't Crosby coming to life and ripping the league apart... It was that Kevin Porter's nondescript-ness stopped weighing the team down. TWO-WAY LEAGUE MINIMUM SIGNINGS ARE DYNASTY KILLERS.

This is a dark day in the franchise's history.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm almost beginning to hope there's injuries and he plays a whole lot just for the lulz here ;)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait, are people mad that the Pens signed a guy that is going to be in the AHL unless injuries hit? What? Porter is probably like the 4th or 5th guy to be recalled :laugh:

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Hey if Geno isnt ready for the start of the season, since im sure he will rather play in the fake Olympics then get surgery, does that mean Porter will center a line?
Kunitz-Porter- Rust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad