Post-Game Talk: Pens @ Preds - Rinne is Back!!!

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Would of been nice to see Weber put Neal's head through the glass though. :sarcasm:

While it would HAVE, it also would have required Weber actually sacking up in the defensive zone... something he seems emotionally unable to do 99% of the time. It's all well and good to say things to the ref and to have enough fire to shoot the puck down the ice after a goal allowed, but how about channeling that fury into something more tangible like a fierce body check once in a while. Blind passes to Josi hardly count as taking charge of your team physically, emotionally or spiritually.

twig

Dec 8, 2013
While it would HAVE, it also would have required Weber actually sacking up in the defensive zone... something he seems emotionally unable to do 99% of the time. It's all well and good to say things to the ref and to have enough fire to shoot the puck down the ice after a goal allowed, but how about channeling that fury into something more tangible like a fierce body check once in a while. Blind passes to Josi hardly count as taking charge of your team physically, emotionally or spiritually.

Trotz plays European hockey, checking is not allowed .

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD

All he does is take charge of the teams scoring :laugh:

Seems like you're looking for those highlight reel hits. He's second on the team in hits, that seems sufficient.

But good thing there's more to playing defense than hitting. He's quite capable in other areas too.

Hopefully Barry can get him some Drew Doughty game film so he can really step up his game appropriately :sarcasm:

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site

Weber is the absolute least of our problems. It is easy to blame the high paid guy wearing the 'C' but when you actually watch the game you realize that he does so much all over the ice that he isn't the problem with this team. Sure, he's is no Clune on the ice, but he shows more than most on this team in all areas of the ice.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
All he does is take charge of the teams scoring :laugh:

Seems like you're looking for those highlight reel hits. He's second on the team in hits, that seems sufficient.

But good thing there's more to playing defense than hitting. He's quite capable in other areas too.

Hopefully Barry can get him some Drew Doughty game film so he can really step up his game appropriately :sarcasm:

When he scores, he isn't hitting enough. When he hits, he isn't scoring enough. When he doesn't take a penalty or get in a fight, he doesn't care enough. When he takes a penalty pissed off, he takes a dumb penalty and is stupid.

Perhaps people should look at coaching and the lack of offense instead of trying to blame a world class defenseman.

AEM6729

Mar 1, 2010
Nashville
Meh..we hit a few posts but so did they. Penguins are good..we're not.

Pretty much this.

Pekka looked better than I thought he would at least. And Goose and Nystrom played their ***** off. And Wilson fought…does anyone else have this vaguely embarrassed/concerned feeling whenever a non-fighter fights? I always feel like they'll totally embarrass themselves or get injured while getting their butts kicked!

This kicking motion thing annoys me. What exactly constitutes a kicking motion in the league's mind? Just a forward movement of the skate in the general direction of the goal? IMO, a distinct kicking motion should include a definite flexion and extension of the knee or hip. Not just forward movement of the skate. That is not a kick. Obviously Toronto disagrees.

Oh well. We weren't making the playoffs anyways.

You

Jul 1, 2010
Pretty much this.

Pekka looked better than I thought he would at least. And Goose and Nystrom played their ***** off. And Wilson fought…does anyone else have this vaguely embarrassed/concerned feeling whenever a non-fighter fights? I always feel like they'll totally embarrass themselves or get injured while getting their butts kicked!

This kicking motion thing annoys me. What exactly constitutes a kicking motion in the league's mind? Just a forward movement of the skate in the general direction of the goal? IMO, a distinct kicking motion should include a definite flexion and extension of the knee or hip. Not just forward movement of the skate. That is not a kick. Obviously Toronto disagrees.

Oh well. We weren't making the playoffs anyways.

Kicking motion is intentionally vague so the NHL can directly influence outcomes.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
It doesn't matter how good of a game you play hustling and back checking or how few shots you hold the other team to if you can't light the lamp.

Another dirty goal by Horny off a shot from a dman. That Smith and a few shots from dmen was about the jist of the offense. Stupid awful.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
It doesn't matter how good of a game you play hustling and back checking or how few shots you hold the other team to if you can't light the lamp.

Another dirty goal by Horny off a shot from a dman. That Smith and a few shots from dmen was about the jist of the offense. Stupid awful.

Actually the shot was off of Fisher not a dman. Fisher was the one w/ the slapshot that lead to Horny's goal. But I agree too many offensive goals this year have been made off of dman rather than offensive players.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The team plays an aggressive forechecking style to create turnovers. In doing so, checking would create guys to get hung up on the other teams players which would create gaps and holes in the forechecking system so instead of finishing a check, the players peel off and make sure they are in the right place when it comes to their assignment. That's the only thing I can figure as to why we don't play physical on most night. If anyone has any thoughts on this or something to add I'm all ears. The problem with that is teams know they will rarely get hit so there is no fear which allows them a split second more time to make their passes or run their systems.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

Yeah if only he was as elite as Doughty or Suter, then he could play as physical as them.

LOL at Weber not being physical....

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Yeah if only he was as elite as Doughty or Suter, then he could play as physical as them.

LOL at Weber not being physical....

Exactly- I am once again shaking my head in disbelief at the comments/criticism on this board about Weber- it is mind-boggling........

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
I'd like to say we were beat by a better team; the better team won, but we were beaten because of a VERY poorly officiated game. Distinct kicking motion my a$$; and even though Leggy's penalties were pretty stupid, Neal deserved a gamer for targeting the head and I won't even go into Cindy - the slewfoot was obvious, but several times he came down the wing he grabbed Josi's stick to protect from the poke check and then keep him from pursuing the puck in the corner - don't expect them to see it everytime, but there were at least 4

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
I'd like to say we were beat by a better team; the better team won, but we were beaten because of a VERY poorly officiated game. Distinct kicking motion my a$$; and even though Leggy's penalties were pretty stupid, Neal deserved a gamer for targeting the head and I won't even go into Cindy - the slewfoot was obvious, but several times he came down the wing he grabbed Josi's stick to protect from the poke check and then keep him from pursuing the puck in the corner - don't expect them to see it everytime, but there were at least 4

In other words ...

This is playoff hockey ... waits for the This is Sparta meme

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Anybody else think Legwand knew he was going to be traded and that is why he had the stupid penalties he did in this game?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Anybody else think Legwand knew he was going to be traded and that is why he had the stupid penalties he did in this game?

Depends on what you mean. Did the stress/uncertainty of the trade speculation unseat him a bit mentally? Perhaps, I'm guessing it would for a lot of players. Did he sandbag the game because he knew he was leaving? No, I doubt it.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Davids penalties Tuesday night are not the first time he has taken one at bad times. He was probably just trying to actually be physical for once. He should glimpses of that throughout the years

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Does anyone know if the Welcome Back Pekka video from this game is online anywhere? I was at the game, but my cousin who usually goes with me was sick and couldn't attend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad