Pre-Game Talk: Pens @ Preds 8pmET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They need to curb stomp the Preds for this on principle.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/7031908-74/shero-poile-penguins#axzz3HCHmHq14

Former Penguins general manager Ray Shero did not deserve to be fired in May, Nashville Predators general manager David Poile told the Tribune-Review on Saturday.

Shero was let go three days after the Penguins' second-round playoff series loss to the New York Rangers.

“I didn't think it was fair,” Poile said. “Based on what Ray and the Penguins accomplished during his tenure, I didn't think it was fair at all.”

Poile said it is a matter of time before Shero is hired as an NHL general manager.

“He's the next guy up, if you will,” Poile said. “I talk with Ray all the time. He's focused on being a manager again. I think he's in a real good place. There's no doubt in my mind that he'll be the candidate when jobs open up. It's almost automatic that he'd be the guy. There really isn't anyone else out there with his credentials.”

I actually really wonder about this, Shero's team had been an increasing disaster for years and it's now going to take time to undo what he did by the end, and that end was ugly.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Shero would probably still have his job here if he wouldn't have tied himself to Bylsma's hip like an idiot.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Organizations don't necessarily have the same definition of "disaster" that fans do. Shero accomplished a lot with the Penguins by any measure aside from the totally fantastical "Cup or bust". (Which isn't to say it wasn't time to clean house.)

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Shero's only unforgivable mistake is sticking with Bylsma. He gave us chances to win every year and attempted to address our roster issues to within his power every year. Had he not stuck with Bylsma, he'd still be here.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Shero would probably still have his job here if he wouldn't have tied himself to Bylsma's hip like an idiot.

I'd question his ability to recognize players that properly complement Crosby and Malkin. I think he had a very flawed idea of how to build an offense. It's not that far fetched considering his background in Nashville.

But I do think his legacy will be leaving us a stable of quality blue liners to build from for years to come. I think he'll be remembered in a much more positive light than Dan Bylsma. If we get to the conference final and make a battle out of it this season, Bylsma looks like a freaking idiot.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
When you put your faith in Bylsma after the Flyers series... you basically gave a timestamp to your own job terminating. That was his BIGGEST mistake.

Shero would have been a ****ing hero around here if he would have fired DB.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If David Poile wants to hire his coffee boy back, he can go right ahead. Then they can keep drafting defensemen and keep playing scrubs at forward. We all know when it comes to drafting defensemen, Shero likes them, he loves them, he wants some more of them.

EDIT: And who the **** cares what Poile thinks anyways? That guy might be the most overrated GM in the league.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Shero's biggest miss-step as our General Manager, even bigger than hitching his wagon to Bylsma, was building the team around our spazz of a goaltender, instead of arguably the two best players in the league.

Based on that, I'd question EVERYTHING about him if I were searching for my next GM.

If you're a grinding team, lacking a little in some talent, I think he's a good choice. Otherwise, no.

That said, I could totally see Shero and Bylsma replacing Wilson and McLellan in San Jose.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I have so much respect for Euro fans who watch the games Live and work the day after. It's so hard man ... :handclap: :yo:

Weekend games are a blessing. No excuse to miss the games! I've been 6/6 on games so far this season, but work's been picking up lately, so it's only a matter of time before I miss a game...

In Portugal though I'm an hour closer to EST than the Swedes for example. Hats off to that kind of dedication. Do we have anyone from Finland on this board? That's a brutal 7 hour difference from Pittsburgh...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Shero's biggest miss-step as our General Manager, even bigger than hitching his wagon to Bylsma, was building the team around our spazz of a goaltender, instead of arguably the two best players in the league.

Based on that, I'd question EVERYTHING about him if I were searching for my next GM.

If you're a grinding team, lacking a little in some talent, I think he's a good choice. Otherwise, no.

That said, I could totally see Shero and Bylsma replacing Wilson and McLellan in San Jose.

I would love for the Pens to have McLellan as our coach. Not his fault the team sucks under pressure, they are the same way with the other coaches too.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Wait guyz, I thought Neal wasn't going to score 30 goals with Nashville. :sarcasm:

Dude already has 5..

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Wait guyz, I thought Neal wasn't going to score 30 goals with Nashville. :sarcasm:

Dude already has 5..

I said he was this whole time, that shot cannot be denied. I also said 25, because maybe he gets injured, but 30 if healthy for sure. If E.Staal goes to Nashville, expect more 40 goal seasons.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Neal will bag 30 in Nashville easily,.. anyone who thinks otherwise is probably just a hater

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Neal will bag 30 in Nashville easily,.. anyone who thinks otherwise is probably just a hater

Still think Hornqvist will reach 25 goals for us (30 MAYBE), probably 35 assists aswell. Brings more of what we need then Neal does though, but i'll miss Neals shot. Think Hornqvist is going to have a monster game for us, Spalings game will go unnoticed but be a solid effort.

penguins2946*

Still think Hornqvist will reach 25 goals for us (30 MAYBE), probably 35 assists aswell. Brings more of what we need then Neal does though, but i'll miss Neals shot. Think Hornqvist is going to have a monster game for us, Spalings game will go unnoticed but be a solid effort.

Hornqvist had a 30 and a 27 goal season with Nashville, along with having a 24 goal pace last year. I would be extremely disappointed for him not to hit 30 goals this year.

Also, has HF been acting weird for anyone else recently? It keeps saying the most recent posts were 40 minutes ago.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I thought and still think Neal will get right around 30 or just under that at worst. I'd be stunned if he hits the 40 goal mark like he did here though. He's a good player. I probably leaned against making the deal at the time but I understood the reasoning behind making the move too. The Pens just wanted a different type of player and some depth. Seems to be working out for both sides.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hornqvist had a 30 and a 27 goal season with Nashville, along with having a 24 goal pace last year. I would be extremely disappointed for him not to hit 30 goals this year.

Also, has HF been acting weird for anyone else recently? It keeps saying the most recent posts were 40 minutes ago.

We will see. Yes HF has been acting up.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
As much as Scuds doesn't need a spot, Despres didn't do his best to take it from him. Unfortunately.

No, but it wouldn't have made a difference if he had.

See Adams, Craig for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad