Pre-Game Talk: Pens @ Preds 8pmET

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think Adams sucks as much as anyone else but he's only getting less than 7 mins of even strength ice time. I don't think he's doing anything lately that is losing us games. We have much bigger problems with the performance of our core players that need resolved before we worry about Adams.

Oddly he's the LEAST of my worries. So I agree.

My biggest worry is d-zone and transition defense. It's miserable right now. It's on pace w/ DB's system if not worse because of the PK. But then again - the PK was terrible in the postseason w/ DB for the exact reasons we'd all ***** about all season long.

But as I keep saying... Johnston talks the talk on adjusting. I want to see him walk the walk.

Side note- i'm starting to realize that when other fans come into our boards and warn us of things - they are typically dead on. Fans came in to warn us about how ****-tastic Glass was from Vancouver. They were SPOT on. We were warned by Portland fans that the defense was quite an issue w/ Johnston - and it's looking like they are spot on.

Just a fun side note ;)

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
they both have NTC, and they both have recent injury history.

Yet, at this point they are nothing alike.
What's Weiss NTC then? I'm reading NMC, Scuderi can still be traded to 21 teams.

Scuderi's injury (broken ankle) that may have altered his game a little, or not, is absolutely nothing compared to a guy that may be lost to hockey due to them.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Scuderi had a broken ancle, Weiss' career as an effective player is over thanks to a long string of injuries. They're not comparable at all in that sense.

Scuderi's NTC is also far easier to get around than Weiss' NMC. Until they can figure out a way to LTIR him, the Wings are stuck with Weiss' dead weight contract. The only way anyone takes that on is a cap floor team gets a 1st round pick in return for taking that deal...and Weiss waives his NMC.

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
If the Pens can't keep the Preds to under 2 goals, i say open it completely and go for a sick 7-6 game with Hornqvist and Neal getting hat-tricks and stuff. :yo:

zhenyas most fly rep

May 3, 2009
breizh
Scuderi had a broken ancle, Weiss' career as an effective player is over thanks to a long string of injuries. They're not comparable at all in that sense.

Scuderi's NTC is also far easier to get around than Weiss' NMC. Until they can figure out a way to LTIR him, the Wings are stuck with Weiss' dead weight contract. The only way anyone takes that on is a cap floor team gets a 1st round pick in return for taking that deal...and Weiss waives his NMC.

Maybe they can persuade him to retire, he would have about 20 million reasons not to, but that's worth a try..:laugh:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Oddly he's the LEAST of my worries. So I agree.

Yeah. I'd personally upgrade him with a bigger, nastier player the second I could, but the truth is Adams has been irrelevant this year. Irrelevant is a big step up from the catastrophe he was before this year.

For me, I don't care about the confusion in the defensive zone. Not yet. It took the Rangers until January last year to sort out the same exact thing. That'll sort itself out or it won't, but it may be months before we see it happen.

What I want is to see Geno's positioning away from the puck improve substantially. He's out there going where ever he feels like whenever he feels like. I definitely don't want to see Sid unplug like he did last game again.

Letang being a little smarter, like he was in games 1-4, wouldn't hurt, either.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah. I'd personally upgrade him with a bigger, nastier player the second I could, but the truth is Adams has been irrelevant this year. Irrelevant is a big step up from the catastrophe he was before this year.

For me, I don't care about the confusion in the defensive zone. Not yet. It took the Rangers until January last year to sort out the same exact thing. That'll sort itself out or it won't, but it may be months before we see it happen.

What I want is to see Geno's positioning away from the puck improve substantially. He's out there going where ever he feels like whenever he feels like. I definitely don't want to see Sid unplug like he did last game again.

Letang being a little smarter, like he was in games 1-4, wouldn't hurt, either.

Letang being smarter is an oxymoron. He has zero chance. He never learns his lesson and I could give you like 200 examples. Probably one of the most naturally gifted athletes in the entire NHL and his strength/speed is unlike anyone. But this team needs a steady-as-he-goes defender. Someone like a Kronwall or Suter. Those two are worth double everything Letang can give us.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Letang being smarter is an oxymoron. He has zero chance. He never learns his lesson and I could give you like 200 examples. Probably one of the most naturally gifted athletes in the entire NHL and his strength/speed is unlike anyone. But this team needs a steady-as-he-goes defender. Someone like a Kronwall or Suter. Those two are worth double everything Letang can give us.

We have one in the making in Maatta, and we have another on the way in Harrington. We need to be patient with the young defensemen, and weed out the old.

I think we'll be better once Bortuzzo returns, and I think we need to give Despres increased responsibilities. He'll make mistakes, but his potential is still quite high.

Martin has to be dealt, and soon. Every day, he gets closer to Minnesota and we get closer to losing another asset for bupkis.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Letang has been this way from day 1. Totally agree with your last sentence.

He actually could use that guy as his partner and it might help his final result.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We have one in the making in Maatta, and we have another on the way in Harrington. We need to be patient with the young defensemen, and weed out the old.

I think we'll be better once Bortuzzo returns, and I think we need to give Despres increased responsibilities. He'll make mistakes, but his potential is still quite high.

Martin has to be dealt, and soon. Every day, he gets closer to Minnesota and we get closer to losing another asset for bupkis.

You will not get what your looking for out of those two, and if either is to be, that would be, Harrington. Maatta doesn't look to be more than a great positional player with great vision and stick work. I don't see him as being a very intimidating punisher or physical D-man. Maatta is a young version of Martin.

Bortuzzo isn't even in that stratosphere of a top 4 D-man, and Despres has a long way to go. This forum can't handle the wait it will take for Despres to be a trusted contributor. We don't have 'that guy' in our system. They went the way of the puck mover with the top D-selections. One could arise from the group but none stand out the likes of Kronwall or Suter.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
No need to panic. Six games into a new system, and if you ask me, this team could use some regular season struggles to build some guile.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You will not get what your looking for out of those two, and if either is to be, that would be, Harrington. Maatta doesn't look to be more than a great positional player with great vision and stick work. I don't see him as being a very intimidating punisher or physical D-man. Maatta is a young version of Martin.

Bortuzzo isn't even in that stratosphere of a top 4 D-man, and Despres has a long way to go. This forum can't handle the wait it will take for Despres to be a trusted contributor. We don't have 'that guy' in our system. They went the way of the puck mover with the top D-selections. One could arise from the group but none stand out the likes of Kronwall or Suter.

Maatta has already shown a higher offensive ceiling than Martin. But yeah, we're pretty much locked into Letang being a key component of our defense. No one else is coming that will knock him off anytime soon.

With Martin and Ehrhoff being UFAs, Maatta being 20, Despres needing to just get playing time, DP and Harrington haven't yet played an NHL game, I think we're better off rooting for Letang to settle into a leadership role on the blue line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad