Speculation: Pens Offseason

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You need a legitimate backup goaltender.

This is far, far, far down on the list of needs. Jarry and DeSmith are fine in a backup role.

The Pens need to trim some of the fat. That means moving some of the same type of player, such as Simon and Sheary, who are both offensively decent players who are bad defensively. You can't carry two guys who produce 30+ points, but who will be defensively liabilities when they're not scoring.

The Pens also need to re-tool their blueline. Whether that means Letang, Maatta, or just bringing in a good FA and unloading Hunwick to add depth, I don't know.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Letang to Edm with retention or with a cap dump going back ie Russel Sekera or Lucic.

Why would Pittsburgh do this? They would want somewhat of a competent piece back. Russell is garbage; Sekera doesn't help and Lucic - lol. I would think one of the pieces coming back is a good young Dman. This wouldn't be a totally salary dump.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Dumo is easily worth more than his contract.

Trade Sheary and Hunwick.

Dangle Letang and Brassard to see what's available.

I don't see JR dangling Brassard. That would be admitting a failed trade in which he gave up the 22nd pick of a deep draft; a stud goalie prospect; a very dependable third pair Dman that could have helped in the washington series and Reaves who would have kept Wilson honest. You make dealing 58 a priority.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
This is far, far, far down on the list of needs. Jarry and DeSmith are fine in a backup role.

The Pens need to trim some of the fat. That means moving some of the same type of player, such as Simon and Sheary, who are both offensively decent players who are bad defensively. You can't carry two guys who produce 30+ points, but who will be defensively liabilities when they're not scoring.

The Pens also need to re-tool their blueline. Whether that means Letang, Maatta, or just bringing in a good FA and unloading Hunwick to add depth, I don't know.

Trading Simon doesn't bring back anything. He is the type of guy you have to keep with this salary capped team that is right up tight every year. Sheary is someone that needs to be moved. I keep laughing at those who think Maatta needs to go. He is the least of our problems. 58 is the guy that needs to be moved to not only clear cap, but get picks/prospects or a good young kid ready to step in. Hunwick will be hard to move. Have you seen the list of free agents on D. Carlson and then a severe drop off. Ian cole isn't coming back. Mike Green isn't an answer.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Letang needs off this ****ing hockey team forever. He's done as a Penguin. Single handily almost destroyed the Pens season. A selfish buffoon. One of the least intelligent hockey players in the league.

Just get rid of him. Hell, I'd trade him for a second rounder just to relieve cap space. We need two or three guys with grit and moxy. Two grinding dmen and a big winger who ca nforcheck.

Sounds like you could use some truculence... Milan Lucic and Kris Russell are your guys. :sarcasm:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
What a dumb comment, DeSmith has better NHL stats than Markstrom ever put up. Laughable Canucks fans trying to get in the goal controversy talk again. Thats why goaltending was the Canucks biggest issue this season... Great Markstrom with 2.70+.... are canucks fans really hoping this guy breaks out ala Rick Nash. Ive got news for ya hes a career AHL goalie.. Thanks for the laugh.

DeSmith's numbers wouldnt be as good on the Cannucks.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
4th straight year without a first rounder. At some point that will sting.

Meh... 2 cups was worth it.

4 late first werent gonna save us once Sid and Geno hang it up.

Itll be a multi year rebuild just like any other team.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Would Sprong straight up for Rasmus Andersson or Fox work? I might make a thread about this, but calgary has a ton of high end D prospects, and i'm pretty high on sprong, especially since he is a RHS RW. I don't think Flames are willing to trade Gio though, he is the heart and soul of our team

I'd have to defer to my fellow pens fans who've seen them play.

But it just feels like Sprong will never get an extended look with the Big club. Even when we arent producing points and got nothing to lose.

So if we arent gonna play him might as well trade him.

Reactions: Owen Doty

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You need a legitimate backup goaltender.

Why? Murray, despite not being great wasn't the issue. Holtby out playing him wasn't even the issue. Only 4 forwards scored a goal in the Washington series. When Connolly outscores every forward on your team other than Crosby (3), Hornqvist (3) and Guentzel (4), there's an issue. The depth that carried Pittsburgh to a cup in 2016 and the crazy good goaltending that carried them in 2017 wasn't there. But to point to just one player is asinine.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I think it's obvious what needs to be done. It's time to rebuild. Use malkin, kessel, letang. See if you can get several firsts and 2nds this year and next with good prospects as well. Do a quick retool. Still have crosby for 8 more seasons so reload be back at being great in 2-3years. Murry, guentzal and others will still be young

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Why? Murray, despite not being great wasn't the issue. Holtby out playing him wasn't even the issue. Only 4 forwards scored a goal in the Washington series. When Connolly outscores every forward on your team other than Crosby (3), Hornqvist (3) and Guentzel (4), there's an issue. The depth that carried Pittsburgh to a cup in 2016 and the crazy good goaltending that carried them in 2017 wasn't there. But to point to just one player is asinine.

You're missing the point. Every time Murray won the Cup with the Penguins, he has had assistance from his backup goaltender, Fleury. Look when he became the full starter. He had his weakness revealed and lost to the Capitals, who were predicted to be nowhere than a first round exit. Asinine? Bro.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
What's the interest level in Bryan Rust?

I've nothing bad to say about his game, but he'll be an RFA with arb rights and the Pens have Guentzel to re-sign.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't see JR dangling Brassard. That would be admitting a failed trade in which he gave up the 22nd pick of a deep draft; a stud goalie prospect; a very dependable third pair Dman that could have helped in the washington series and Reaves who would have kept Wilson honest. You make dealing 58 a priority.

JR doesn't have any hesitation to admit mistakes (and rectify them), but I don't think he should move Brassard this summer. Possibly during the year, if things continue to not work out.

Since we already have him and he's got a long track record of being good in the past, probably makes sense to give him the Paul Martin treatment and just tell him what we want from him next season. Let him work on it over the summer. If there's no improvement, Perron redux.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
You're missing the point. Every time Murray won the Cup with the Penguins, he has had assistance from his backup goaltender, Fleury. Look when he became the full starter. He had his weakness revealed and lost to the Capitals, who were predicted to be nowhere than a first round exit. Asinine? Bro.

Murray's weakness has always been high glove side and we saw that on the first cup run as well.

21 games, 2.08 GAA .923 SV%
11 games, 1.70 GAA .937 SV% (he was injured in the first game of the palyoffs)

Tell me again how much help did he get from his backup?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Murray's weakness has always been high glove side and we saw that on the first cup run as well.

21 games, 2.08 GAA .923 SV%
11 games, 1.70 GAA .937 SV% (he was injured in the first game of the palyoffs)

Tell me again how much help did he get from his backup?

From Marc-Andre Fleury in Round 1 and 2. Tell me how Flower is doing right now?

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
From Marc-Andre Fleury in Round 1 and 2. Tell me how Flower is doing right now?

I’m as big of a MAF shill as you’ll find, but this is a stupid argument. Fleury played 1 game in the 2016 run, and it didn’t go great. Would Murray have been able to play as well as Fleury against the Caps last year to beat them? Who knows, but he played great the rest of the way.

Murray was fine this year. He had a couple softies, but made up for it by stopping quite a few that he had no business stopping. D left him high and dry on countless occasions and he bailed them out more often than not.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I’m as big of a MAF shill as you’ll find, but this is a stupid argument. Fleury played 1 game in the 2016 run, and it didn’t go great. Would Murray have been able to play as well as Fleury against the Caps last year to beat them? Who knows, but he played great the rest of the way.

Murray was fine this year. He had a couple softies, but made up for it by stopping quite a few that he had no business stopping. D left him high and dry on countless occasions and he bailed them out more often than not.

Murray could've lost in that series against Washington in 2017. Also, the Penguins need a backup more for the next season and beyond, because, during the season, he sometimes falters, ending up allowing many goals and getting pulled.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Murray could've lost in that series against Washington in 2017. Also, the Penguins need a backup more for the next season and beyond, because, during the season, he sometimes falters, ending up allowing many goals and getting pulled.

As already stated, Pens have 2 capable backups already. A true back-up in DeSmith and a young, future starter in Jarry. The goalie situation is the most secure part of the organization.

Also, "during the regular season he sometimes falters, ending up allowing many goals and getting pulled." Congrats, you just described every goalie to ever play in the NHL. You are, in fact, the Vancouver Canucks of HFboards.

Bonesy9

Feb 13, 2018
I do not think they need to do anything, they looked gassed this series.

It would be nice if they could improve the D and focus on some Pk'ers.

I expect to see a big year out of Brassard as it is a contract year, so our offense will be firing next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad