Speculation: Pens Offseason

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Most teams that wanted Letang, questioned his durability in December when teams did call and JR was listening.

Since then, he's played 79 games, put up 51pts, put up 11pts in 12 playoff games and has produced very well and is very much back to that production before his injury. His play, has more to do with Sullivan not playing him less like he should, a different team that would covet a player like him would see it differently and it will change for him. But the time has come to part ways and the idiocy behind "no one wants him!" is at full speed.

Should be a fun off season.

Reactions: hockey07278771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Would Sprong straight up for Rasmus Andersson or Fox work? I might make a thread about this, but calgary has a ton of high end D prospects, and i'm pretty high on sprong, especially since he is a RHS RW. I don't think Flames are willing to trade Gio though, he is the heart and soul of our team

My trade idea was combining Sprong for Andersson and Maatta and Sheary for Giordano, I'd be fine with just Sprong for Andersson.

Letang is definitely tradeable. If nothing else, he's an elite OFD who can handle 25 minutes a night, but he struggles defensively. Gambling on Letang being your #1D is a much better gamble for a lot of teams than their next best option. The question is if there's a team that would be willing to pay top dollar for Letang, but I guarantee that there would be teams interested in him. Do you really think Edmonton would say no to adding a defenseman with Letang's puck moving talent and skating?

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
My trade idea was combining Sprong for Andersson and Maatta and Sheary for Giordano, I'd be fine with just Sprong for Andersson.

Letang is definitely tradeable. If nothing else, he's an elite OFD who can handle 25 minutes a night, but he struggles defensively. Gambling on Letang being your #1D is a much better gamble for a lot of teams than their next best option. The question is if there's a team that would be willing to pay top dollar for Letang, but I guarantee that there would be teams interested in him. Do you really think Edmonton would say no to adding a defenseman with Letang's puck moving talent and skating?
Letang is certainly tradeable, never implied he wasn't. Edmonton would certainly be interested in him despite his defensive shortcomings, but can't see a trade happening because Edmonton is already in cap hell. Only way it would really work is if Klefbom or Russell were going back the other way as a basis, and I dont see pittsburgh taking a lesser offensive option in klefbom who was equally horrid defensively, and Russell is just not that good

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Letang is certainly tradeable, never implied he wasn't. Edmonton would certainly be interested in him despite his defensive shortcomings, but can't see a trade happening because Edmonton is already in cap hell. Only way it would really work is if Klefbom or Russell were going back the other way as a basis, and I dont see pittsburgh taking a lesser offensive option in klefbom who was equally horrid defensively, and Russell is just not that good

I should have clarified, that wasn't a response to you. The first part was responding to your post, the rest was just a comment on where the thread was at.

Reactions: Owen Doty

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne
Pittsburgh is not going to trade Sprong! Sheary is on his way out and Hunwick as well. Get a Hagelin type of player in return for Sheary and go for two D-men to get better and deeper. If you trade Letang you have to get two Top 4 D-men back, which is doable.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
find legit 3rd line players. Bonino and Cullen were awesome grinders for the Pens. Sheahan and Brassard are not bad, but their bottom 6 was just not the same.

They had a better bottom six this year on paper. Just didn't get the goals, stuff happens...Brassard,Rust and Kessel all were not 100%. Sheahan was fantastic in the Cullen role.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
There is another thread about Hamilton maybe being available out of Calgary, but it’s too long to look for this idea— what about Kessel for Hamilton?

Flames get a top line RW and pens get a upgrade on D which we sorely need after watching the caps series.

Then maybe trade Letang to EDM or really anyone who needs RHD.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They need to upgrade their defense.

Don't know how they'll do that.

stouves

Dec 19, 2015
Letang was solid 2016 but honestly nothing more. I think that the Pens could have won without him in 2016 and we all know what happend 2017.

What really grinds my gear about Letang is that he is a great skater, strong and explosive. At the same time he has a terrible hockey IQ and no idea what to do in the defensive zone 90% of the time. The Pens/Wash series was decided by him. I have no idea what was going on in his head on some of the plays. I don't think Letang is good enough to stay in Pittsburgh, he makes to many mistakes and his contract is awful.

The biggest problem however, is what the Pens can get in a trade. I would really like a good stay home d-man who plays the body and takes responsibility on the back end. Or a winger for Sid and G. I don't think Pens need another backup goalie or a new C.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
What a dumb comment Markstrom did as good if not better than DeSmith considering the state of the team infront of him.
What a dumb comment, DeSmith has better NHL stats than Markstrom ever put up. Laughable Canucks fans trying to get in the goal controversy talk again. Thats why goaltending was the Canucks biggest issue this season... Great Markstrom with 2.70+.... are canucks fans really hoping this guy breaks out ala Rick Nash. Ive got news for ya hes a career AHL goalie.. Thanks for the laugh.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
I'm going to assume the Penguins won't trade Letang, that's probably too extreme to think they'll do. I think the Penguins need:

1. A #2 or #3 LD, with using Maatta as a trade chip for that. I think a package starting with Maatta and Sheary for an expensive #3 makes some sense.
2. A good RD prospect, with using Sprong as a trade chip for that.
3. Another top-9 winger, either a RWer for Crosby or a winger for Malkin.

I'm not sure who exactly they should be targeting, but that would be my general plan. I wonder if you can do a deal around:

Penguins trade Maatta, Sprong and Sheary
Flames trade Giordano and Andersson

Just tossing up an idea I had.
Except Maatta plays the left side, which wasnt the issue. It was all the breaks coming down the right side, which letang plays. Sure Murray has a terrible glove hand, but if you watched the series you'd of see Maatta doing his job. Same as Dumo. Pens don't need letang thats why he will get traded, hes a good player, but the pens need balance and sound defenders, not sporadic idiots who pinch when they shouldn't give up on check etc... Letang is a good defender but hes lost an edge in his own end and isn't the same passing wiz he once was. Down season sure, but with all his health issues this looks more like a decline. Trade Letang while you can. Maatta + Spring > Gio and Andersson... So adding Sheary is pointless

Bongsong

May 5, 2018
Except Maatta plays the left side, which wasnt the issue. It was all the breaks coming down the right side, which letang plays. Sure Murray has a terrible glove hand, but if you watched the series you'd of see Maatta doing his job. Same as Dumo. Pens don't need letang thats why he will get traded, hes a good player, but the pens need balance and sound defenders, not sporadic idiots who pinch when they shouldn't give up on check etc... Letang is a good defender but hes lost an edge in his own end and isn't the same passing wiz he once was. Down season sure, but with all his health issues this looks more like a decline. Trade Letang while you can. Maatta + Spring > Gio and Andersson... So adding Sheary is pointless

Maatta + Sprong isn't even close to enough for just Gio

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Letang needs off this f***ing hockey team forever. He's done as a Penguin. Single handily almost destroyed the Pens season. A selfish buffoon. One of the least intelligent hockey players in the league.

Just get rid of him. Hell, I'd trade him for a second rounder just to relieve cap space. We need two or three guys with grit and moxy. Two grinding dmen and a big winger who ca nforcheck.

Bongsong

May 5, 2018
Letang needs off this ****ing hockey team forever. He's done as a Penguin. Single handily almost destroyed the Pens season. A selfish buffoon. One of the least intelligent hockey players in the league.

Just get rid of him. Hell, I'd trade him for a second rounder just to relieve cap space. We need two or three guys with grit and moxy. Two grinding dmen and a big winger who ca nforcheck.

That's what I offered just above

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Letang needs off this ****ing hockey team forever. He's done as a Penguin. Single handily almost destroyed the Pens season. A selfish buffoon. One of the least intelligent hockey players in the league.

Yes we need more Dmen who can't pass the puck. Great idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad