Post-Game Talk: Pens Lose 3-1: I Hate Saying We Told You So But Not Really

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Last nights game was pretty even. They got a 5 on 3... and capitalized; thats the difference. Both teams dominated for stretches.

That's the difference between a good team and a mediocre one, The Capitals had a 5 on 3 and capitalized. The Penguins had a 6 on 4 and looked completely lost. Shot the puck wide and cleared it themselves, turned the puck over in the neutral zone and allowed the Caps to score a SH EN goal. Last night's game was not even. Like I said, the play of MAF made it look even but the Caps outplayed the Penguins in all facets of the hockey game.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
That's the difference between a good team and a mediocre one, The Capitals had a 5 on 3 and capitalized. The Penguins had a 6 on 4 and looked completely lost. Shot the puck wide and cleared it themselves, turned the puck over in the neutral zone and allowed the Caps to score a SH EN goal. Last night's game was not even. Like I said, the play of MAF made it look even but the Caps outplayed the Penguins in all facets of the hockey game.

No they really didn't at all. Holtby played out of his mind as well. The pens 'scored' on the first shift of the game.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Not really, the Capitals don't turn the puck over as much as the Penguins do and they had way more quality scoring chances than we did. 0-3 against Holtby being outscored 10-1 is pretty telling as to why the Penguins lost those games, highly doubt it was Holtby being Holtby.

The other 2 games are irrelevant to this game. Holtby played great yesterday, stopping some very good chances. Not to mention the goal coming off on the first shift that would have been a goal.

There only glaring issue is the PP, if they can fix the PP the will be as dangerous a team as there is.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
I feel like the Pens do a good job of keeping control of the puck but are never remotely dangerous with it. The rare times we get a cycle going it usually just results in the puck staying on the perimeter until the other team clears the zone with no real scoring threat resulting from the long possession.

It also seems like guys rather make an extra pass than take a crack at the net and see if someone can bang in a rebound. Almost every game it seems like we have long stretches of passing up quality shots. The more I think about it the more it seems like a total lack of belief in the system. They just seem to have no confidence out there.

Last edited:

crawz87

Mar 18, 2010
Is there a service available where fans can suggest line combinations for MJ? lol. Seriously, its so obvious, first line should be Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist. At least give it a try. And no, Sid shouldn't be choosing his line mates. Do whats best for the team.

Last edited:

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
The biggest mistake anyone can make in life is to go out of their way worrying about what other people think of them. Most people learn that in like highschool. So why anyone on an internet message board would go apologizing to some other 'fan' is absolutely mind-boggling to me, especially when you're apologizing on behalf of somebody you don't, and will never know. Why any Penguin fan would care if some teenage geek in Ontario thinks we're 'dirty' is astonishing.

As bad as it is for fans to do that, it's even worse for an owner, coach, or player to do it. I'm so sick of the Penguins trying to be the moral authority of the league. You think Bob Kraft in New England gives a **** if other teams like the Patriots? All he cares about is money and Super Bowl trophies, and he has lots of both.

Point is, I could give two ***** if this organization is dragged through the mud. Winning is what matters. This isn't a popularity contest.

Terrapin, you are my spirit animal.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
That's classy. :laugh:

No, but seriously. That is pathetic. I mean, pathetic on a level that is sad. To wish someone gets seriously injured. Get a grasp of the reality.

Edit:

Ahh....Never mind. You are way too out there to understand anything:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=95971075&postcount=308
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=95970775&postcount=294
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=95965047&postcount=964

You can say what you want about classy or not, so be it. However, trying to be "the better team" or "the bigger man" is why this team gets physically abused to begin with. Teams know that we "take the high road" and let our stars get abused, and that is why it continues to happen. I wish the league would be the ones who step in and do something about it, but they have proven time and time again that they won't.

So you can have your I'm classy and better than you attitude, that is fine. You will continue to be the type of person who gets pushed around and taken advantage of. I on the other hand refused to get taken advantage of, so I put a stop to ******** when it happened, and that included in ways that you may consider classless. However if the proper authorities wouldn't handle it properly and put and end to it, you had 2 options....either become a doormat, or take care of it yourself.....I was raised to take care of it and not be the doormat. So sorry if my classless posts offend you. Your name calling of me affects me very little.

Have a nice day.

Michael8771*

Getting bigger and heavier would obviously help. Provided of course the players being brought in can actually play at a high and consistent level AND our willing to use their size. This was one of the reasons I coveted E Kane so much. We need aggressive big bodies out there to help neutralize teams like the Caps and their advantage in size. That's not our only issue, but it is an issue nonetheless.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Also off the top of my head, Letang stuck someone pretty good in the first and LaPierre popped one of their defenseman behind the net leading to a loose puck.

Yeah that Letang hit was a beauty. Used his speed to zero in on the oncoming puck carrier, forced him to the boards, cutting of his lane, snuffed him out with a big check, collected the puck and gained possession.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Be the predator, not the prey.

With his tree trunk legs, speed and upper body, he could **** guys up. He has his reasons for what he does, but I saw him let at least 6 Caps off the hook when he could have blown them up. Instead he peeled off or slowed down and gave them a nudge.

The first few times I was like oh ****, he's gonna put their chalk line on the boards... By the end of the game I was rolling my eyes and wondering if he was going to give them a slap on the ass.

Do the right thing JR.

I remember when Sid ****ed up Alfie against the Sens. He could do that more often if he wanted to.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
The biggest mistake anyone can make in life is to go out of their way worrying about what other people think of them. Most people learn that in like highschool. So why anyone on an internet message board would go apologizing to some other 'fan' is absolutely mind-boggling to me, especially when you're apologizing on behalf of somebody you don't, and will never know. Why any Penguin fan would care if some teenage geek in Ontario thinks we're 'dirty' is astonishing.

As bad as it is for fans to do that, it's even worse for an owner, coach, or player to do it. I'm so sick of the Penguins trying to be the moral authority of the league. You think Bob Kraft in New England gives a **** if other teams like the Patriots? All he cares about is money and Super Bowl trophies, and he has lots of both.

Point is, I could give two ***** if this organization is dragged through the mud. Winning is what matters. This isn't a popularity contest.

You win the thread! Absolutely this. **** morality, and being "pathelic and classless" as I was called earlier. It's about winning and protecting your own...who cares what others think of this organization. Glad some people get it.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
You win the thread! Absolutely this. **** morality, and being "pathelic and classless" as I was called earlier. It's about winning and protecting your own...who cares what others think of this organization. Glad some people get it.

Thanks, but it really is confusing to me, and I wish someone would give me a legitimate answer. Perhaps it's because of my 'advanced' age that I typically don't care what others think of me (save for my family, employer, etc). But I just can't comprehend when posters would say 'we have to get rid of Matt Cooke/Downie/Goon/etc. The posters on the main board really hate us. They think we're dirty.' Who cares? Is there some kind of HF Board meet & greet high tea being planned somewhere?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Something that wasn't mentioned that really needs to be pointed out, is that the Pens finally took away AO from that left circle on the PP. Big props to MJ on that.

It's something not only the old regime never did, but I see many other units around the league coinciding that spot to him. I always thought it was borderline insanity...

You could clearly see that whomever was closest to him as the diamond rotated, had the responsibility to stay in that shooting lane he loves. I'll never quite understand why this strategy hasn't been used every time agt the Caps until they adjust.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Something that wasn't mentioned that really needs to be pointed out, is that the Pens finally took away AO from that left circle on the PP. Big props to MJ on that.

It's something not only the old regime never did, but I see many other units around the league coinciding that spot to him. I always thought it was borderline insanity...

You could clearly see that whomever was closest to him as the diamond rotated, had the responsibility to stay in that shooting lane he loves. I'll never quite understand why this strategy hasn't been used every time agt the Caps until they adjust.

And notice, Adams seemed to barely be on the PK.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks, but it really is confusing to me, and I wish someone would give me a legitimate answer. Perhaps it's because of my 'advanced' age that I typically don't care what others think of me (save for my family, employer, etc). But I just can't comprehend when posters would say 'we have to get rid of Matt Cooke/Downie/Goon/etc. The posters on the main board really hate us. They think we're dirty.' Who cares? Is there some kind of HF Board meet & greet high tea being planned somewhere?

Yes, maybe it is an advanced age thing, as I, along with you, are in the very few to be old enough to have been Pens fans before Mario arrived, let alone Sid and Geno ;)

As I tried explainingbefore, you have to look at the world you live in, and the powers to be in the NHL Dont seem to care about fairness or morality, so as an organization, the Pens shouldn't either.... That's why I've always said that if others try to hurt your players, you need to return fire. If it takes hurting a few guys on other teams, to protect your own, then so be it. If people here think that makes me a classless *******, oh well. I doesn't make my statements any less true.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Yes, maybe it is an advanced age thing, as I, along with you, are in the very few to be old enough to have been Pens fans before Mario arrived, let alone Sid and Geno ;)

As I tried explainingbefore, you have to look at the world you live in, and the powers to be in the NHL Dont seem to care about fairness or morality, so as an organization, the Pens shouldn't either.... That's why I've always said that if others try to hurt your players, you need to return fire. If it takes hurting a few guys on other teams, to protect your own, then so be it. If people here think that makes me a classless *******, oh well. I doesn't make my statements any less true.

I would also like to point out it's fun to root for a team that stands up for itself and can hammer the opposition. It's not just that the Pens have been average lately or not scoring much. It's also the fact that they look bullied. The Caps were literally laughing :naughty: at the Pens last night. Laughing in there faces. I know that's ok to some here, "it's about winning the game". But for me, it takes away further enjoyment from a sport that is already lacking in entertainment value.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

After Ovy hit Letang, (to his credit) Ovy's line stayed on the ice the next shift. We sent out our top line so Kunitz could blow him a kiss (then proceeded to get pounded into the boards a few seconds later). Why not put out the 4th line? Downie or Lapierre should have made it 30 seconds of complete hell for not only Ovy, but Backstrom too.

Your statements aren't classless, they're the truth. They need to have the mindset that each game is a war, not an exhibition of synchronized ice dancing. Scratch, fight, claw, and do whatever it takes to win, because in the end that's all that matters and all anyone remembers. In 20 years nobody is going to say 'sure the Sid and Geno teams only won 1 cup, but look at how many Lady Byng candidates they had, and how progressive they were in trying (in vain) to change the league'.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I would also like to point out it's fun to root for a team that stands up for itself and can hammer the opposition. It's not just that the Pens have been average lately or not scoring much. It's also the fact that they look bullied. The Caps were literally laughing :naughty: at the Pens last night. Laughing in there faces. I know that's ok to some here, "it's about winning the game". But for me, it takes away further enjoyment from a sport that is already lacking in entertainment value.

I actually thought they responded ok after the hit. But that is the problem. Responding 'after the hit'. I'd like to go back and watch the game again and count how many times there was a scrum with 4 or 5 Caps and 1 or 2 Pens. After a few seconds someone else would eventually skate in as it was breaking up. All we've heard is we don't need 'tough guys', we just need a pack mentality. Well, we have neither and it's downright embarrassing.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

And I'm sure the same people that are critics of us are not going to feel sorry for us next time we play Philly and Ronaldo wants to send Crosby to a season ending injury and then get suspended only for 5 games.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
After Ovy hit Letang, (to his credit) Ovy's line stayed on the ice the next shift. We sent out our top line so Kunitz could blow him a kiss (then proceeded to get pounded into the boards a few seconds later). Why not put out the 4th line? Downie or Lapierre should have made it 30 seconds of complete hell for not only Ovy, but Backstrom too.

Your statements aren't classless, they're the truth. They need to have the mindset that each game is a war, not an exhibition of synchronized ice dancing. [/B] Scratch, fight, claw, and do whatever it takes to win, because in the end that's all that matters and all anyone remembers. In 20 years nobody is going to say 'sure the Sid and Geno teams only won 1 cup, but look at how many Lady Byng candidates they had, and how progressive they were in trying (in vain) to change the league'.

:laugh::laugh:A good nickname for this team is Disney on ice. But when they try to fight back they look like the munchkins when someone takes out a member of the lollipop gill.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
:handclap:

Tocchet should print that out and hang it in the locker room

He was apparently working with Letang and pounding it in his mind to shoot more. I doubt he or the prior regime said to play patty cake with the puck.

Coaches can only do so much, and if Letang and Crosby want to pass all around the perimeter looking for the perfect play, what can you do? Bench them I guess. But that prob won't happen. The problem is, those two control the puck more than anyone on the PP.

With DP, Perron and Hornqvist at their disposal, this PP should be hitting at a 22-25% clip. They have their PP QB in DP, their righty trigger in Perron (who can also run the PP from the LHW) and one of the best net front presences in the league in Hornqvist who is also a righty to boot.

Throw in the two best pivots in the world.... what's the problem?

I mean, seriously, other teams would kill for that type of talent on their PP. Just stop being dumb ***** and get pucks on net. It's what always has worked and always will.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
As bad as our PP has been it's not *this* bad. Just like it wasn't as good as it was at the start of the season.

I think regardless of what they do it will start to improve. It certainly can't get any worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad