Post-Game Talk: Pens Lose 3-1: I Hate Saying We Told You So But Not Really

Michael8771*

This is more than an issue with the pp, we're generating very little 5 on 5 also.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I'll be positive, I thought Sutter's line played well (especially 13 and 16). I feel sorry for MAF, played well enough to earn a "W." 51 and 58 are really going to be a force to reckoned with eventually.

We do, though, seem smaller and slower than just about everyone. That's not good.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Crosby did nothing again, he is useless in these type of games and everyone knows that he´s no threat. Same goes for Malkin, he is probably even worse lately. Sid is not shooting at all (has no support obviously) and Malkin is so uneffective. Taking low-percentage shots on the powerplay and misses them so often too. In that last minute, Malkin had a chance to catch the clearance at the boards but he was like he didn´t even care to try.. like it was practice or something. Crosby did absolutely nothing all game long except of that one drawn penalty. What a pathetic display by our so called superstars, now compare it to Backs + OV..

That said, if Malkin & Sid were awful, the refs were even worse. Absolutely brutal. Caps are an ultimate powerhouse lately because they are not only legitimately good but the refs are like their 6th player everytime I watch them. It´s a brute force really. Congrats to their organization.

penguins2946*

Just wanted to repost this:

The Pens PP in their first 13 games of the season was 21 for 56, an astonishing 37.5% rate of success. The Pens PP since has gone 15 for 121 in the 44 games since. Not only are the Pens getting significantly less power plays (dropped from 4.3 PPs per game to 2.75 PPs per game), it has dropped drastically in effectiveness, going from a 37.5% clip to a 12.4% rate. Yes, the Pens PP scored 40% more goals in the first 13 games than it has since.

Also, another bad stat, Crosby has 16 points in 18 games since he started playing with Perron. That's unacceptable. He's playing with the best linemates he has ever had and he can't even break a PPG.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I honestly don't want to believe this, but the more we see how the organization has been run since '93. It really speaks levels.

Still, at least we aren't Florida or Toronto?

Florida is a pretty entertaining team I think. We're not.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Pens will get buried, but good luck winning when the standard is that the other club can take baseball swings, but you're not allowed to check a puck carrier in the chest.

Only Pen, to me, worth singling out as a negative is 87, and only for his work with the man advantage.

I don't want to see one cross ice pass through the box from him at this point; six in a row is just...it's just inexcusable.

And it's him, not "the coaches." 71 immediately shot any time he got the puck in that spot. Correctly.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just wanted to repost this:

The Pens PP in their first 13 games of the season was 21 for 56, an astonishing 37.5% rate of success. The Pens PP since has gone 15 for 121 in the 44 games since. Not only are the Pens getting significantly less power plays (dropped from 4.3 PPs per game to 2.75 PPs per game), it has dropped drastically in effectiveness, going from a 37.5% clip to a 12.4% rate. Yes, the Pens PP scored 40% more goals in the first 13 games than it has since.

That is a stat worth mentioning. I typically hate stats... but that is a big time view stat, as my old coach would put it.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Mike Johnston needs to go. I don't like him and I don't think the players do either.

If the Pens get the gift 5 on 3 and score (LOL, I know right...) then we're talking about how great a team win that was tonight. How we played great, how HCMJ got 87 and 71 out on the PK, how Fleury was really good, how Sutter actually had a good game. But since we lose, it's the end of the world. Yowza...

How about that, though, Sid and Geno both getting PK time...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pens will get buried, but good luck winning when the standard is that the other club can take baseball swings, but you're not allowed to check a puck carrier in the chest.

Only Pen, to me, worth singling out as a negative is 87, and only for his work with the man advantage.

I don't want to see one cross ice pass through the box from him at this point; six in a row is just...it's just inexcusable.

And it's him, not "the coaches." 71 immediately shot any time he got the puck in that spot. Correctly.

The main issue with the Pens is their play in the third period.

I wonder if this goes along with building our roster out of one year contracts and young players. The first two periods the Pens looked good, the last period they looked good for two minutes after the Letang / Ovechkin incident and then completely fell apart after the Downie penalty.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Guys.....we lack the talent.

We aren't fast enough,main enough, or stout enough.

How clean were the Caps entry into our zone?
How hard was it for us to get rushes into the Caps zone?
Do we have ANYBODY TO CRASH THE NET ON THE PP?

No.

My god we miss Staal.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
this is a bad team/organization that has been propped up by two generational players for years.

You're simply wrong, and this is a pretty consistent trend.

We played a good game and we stuck up for each other. It's February with a group that has been oft-injured and has seen 50% of the roster change from last year.

The effort is now there. The chemistry, and goals, will come.

Everyone needs to relax.

Michael8771*

just wanted to repost this:

The pens pp in their first 13 games of the season was 21 for 56, an astonishing 37.5% rate of success. The pens pp since has gone 15 for 121 in the 44 games since. Not only are the pens getting significantly less power plays (dropped from 4.3 pps per game to 2.75 pps per game), it has dropped drastically in effectiveness, going from a 37.5% clip to a 12.4% rate. Yes, the pens pp scored 40% more goals in the first 13 games than it has since.

Also, another bad stat, crosby has 16 points in 18 games since he started playing with perron. That's unacceptable. He's playing with the best linemates he has ever had and he can't even break a ppg.
Geno has one point in his last six games. He's not getting the job done either.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Crosby did nothing again, he is useless in these type of games and everyone knows that he´s no threat. Same goes for Malkin, he is probably even worse lately. Sid is not shooting at all (has no support obviously) and Malkin is so uneffective. Taking low-percentage shots on the powerplay and misses them so often too. In that last minute, Malkin had a chance to catch the clearance at the boards but he was like he didn´t even care to try.. like it was practice or something. Crosby did absolutely nothing all game long except of that one drawn penalty. What a pathetic display by our so called superstars, now compare it to Backs + OV..

That said, if Malkin & Sid were awful, the refs were even worse. Absolutely brutal. Caps are an ultimate powerhouse lately because they are not only legitimately good but the refs are like their 6th player everytime I watch them. It´s a brute force really. Congrats to their organization.

Yeah, that was awful, but I'm not going to blame him if his attitude was "Oh, with 1 minute left in the game, NOW you need me?"

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I mean, if they even call a 2 minutes there on OV, the game would continue normally but after that BS, the Pens undersandably lost their minds and the refs were still very cruel on them. I kinda understand that mindset by the Pens, they are humans after all and when something like that happens, it´s gonna affect you.

penguins2946*

That is a stat worth mentioning. I typically hate stats... but that is a big time view stat, as my old coach would put it.

It's just damning, and it does nothing to suggest that our PP issues from 3 of the last 4 playoffs will be any different this year. People underrate how big of an issue our PP has been in the playoffs since Gonchar left. And in all honesty, I know this will rustle jimmies here, but Crosby's hurting the PP more than he's helping it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad