Post-Game Talk: Pens Lose 3-1: I Hate Saying We Told You So But Not Really

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Something that wasn't mentioned that really needs to be pointed out, is that the Pens finally took away AO from that left circle on the PP. Big props to MJ on that.

It's something not only the old regime never did, but I see many other units around the league coinciding that spot to him. I always thought it was borderline insanity...

You could clearly see that whomever was closest to him as the diamond rotated, had the responsibility to stay in that shooting lane he loves. I'll never quite understand why this strategy hasn't been used every time agt the Caps until they adjust.

Yep, but give it to the Pens for giving OV a whole new lane to travel.

We'll just call it the H-OV Lane.

I wonder if he had enough time to look at the scenery.(Board advertisements)

:laugh:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yep, but give it to the Pens for giving OV a whole new lane to travel.

We'll just call it the H-OV Lane.

I wonder if he had enough time to look at the scenery.(Board advertisements)

:laugh:

Can't say I'm too worried about them giving AO breakaways on the PP too often.

And you need two people for those restricted lanes, so that's another penalty the refs missed...

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
so how is this working?

the coach is pointing out the PP, the GM, the fans, the aliens, everybody in the universe, and the PP still looks the same it has for the last 2-3 months... this is like The Twilight Zone. is Crosby this stubborn that he became toxic for the success of the team? (not for making it money)...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I laugh because people here dislike Johston as a coach and Canucks fans dislike Desjardins as their coach.

The two options, two fan bases that don't understand patience.

Let's all get drunk.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
And I'm sure the same people that are critics of us are not going to feel sorry for us next time we play Philly and Ronaldo wants to send Crosby to a season ending injury and then get suspended only for 5 games.

At some point after enough frustration you realize caring about the feelings of anonymous nobodies on the internet is the definition of wasting your time.

The one absolute truth I've realized after years of futility exposing hypocrisy regarding the concept of dirty on these boards is this. No one, no matter how morally righteous they try to fool you into believing they are, care about dirty acts. Only, and I mean only the logo and nameplate committing it is what matters to people.

If a player you like commits a dirty act, you will gloss over it and forget it as if it never happened because you're not emotionally invested enough in that player to care. If a player you don't like commits the same exact act, you will care, will remember it, and will recall and reference it even years down the line, because it confirms what you already want to believe. It's psychology 101, textbook confirmation bias. No amount of facts, opposing examples, relevant comparisons will change someones mind when its not a rational thought process, but purely emotional.

Crosby pushing an empty glove away is referenced to this day as reasoning for people to despise him, saying to the media something as benign as "I don't like anyone on that team" gets certain fans blood in a boil, but these same fans love Giroux, the captain of the team, who not 2 weeks after these incidents they so fiercely despise Crosby for, was suspended for intentionally headshotting Zubrus, away from the puck, seconds after openly yelling at a referee for a perceived slight. Hits every box on the checklist of what your typical fan hates about crosby all in one singular act. Not only is this blantantly hypocritical, but the severity of the emotional response in contrast to the dirtyness of the acts is without compare. There is no way to rationally justify these beliefs, thus there is no way to rationally convince people against their preconceived bias. You see what you choose to see.

In the Ovechkin thread on the main board right now someone posed the question of how so many could unjustly hate a player of his calibur. This is how deluded bias can be, these people grossly mistake critcism for underperforming statistically what is expected of you as hatred (certain Pitt fans are guilty of this falacy as well recently). I dare anyone to attempt to make the case the majority opinion on these boards and in hockey fandom in general during the height of the so called Crosby/Ovechkin rivalry, was slanted in favor of Crosby, because I could use the entertainment. Yet even today after the reactions to last night, there are those deluding themselves into believing had that been Crosby slashing Carlson the reaction would be comparitively nonexistant. No, hatred is rationalizing why you despise a player for something as harmless as pushing an empty glove laying on the ice years after the fact, but rejoice and justify when he is crosschecked in the head mere months ago.

Accept that these boards, especially the main one, are primarily filled with the opinion that nothing Pitt does can be viewed in a positive light, regardless of how similar whatever the topic at hand happens to be to acts of other teams and players, even if its one on the other side of the topic at hand, because their minds are already made up before the issue even happened.

Exposing hypocrites can be fun, but if you're emotionally investing yourself in the opinions of literal nobodies who couldn't effect anything beyond their computer screen if they tried, you're just setting yourself up for dissapointment.

Perhaps it would benefit Pitt to be as dirty in retaliation as everyone chooses to believe them to be.

Last edited:

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
“I know they're from Washington, but I didn't realize they used the same spin that the politicians use,†general manager Jim Rutherford said.

bwahaha. oh ol' man rutherford. you sassy geriatric. :laugh:

Michael8771*

They're 3-0 against us outscoring us 10-1 and you want to laugh at that? If I'm JR, I don't say a word. As my team has given me little room to crow about anything.

Remember when Kunitz challenged AO and AO made him look silly? I do.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
They're 3-0 against us outscoring us 10-1 and you want to laugh at that? If I'm JR, I don't say a word. As my team has given me little room to crow about anything.

oh come on. that quote wasn't in any shape or form 'crowing', it was sarcastic funny.

plus rutherford went on to damn the pens pp for being its own worst enemy and that its metro division issue is a huge problem in the same scrum. so it isn't like he doesn't see that the team has some major flaws.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
He was apparently working with Letang and pounding it in his mind to shoot more. I doubt he or the prior regime said to play patty cake with the puck.

Coaches can only do so much, and if Letang and Crosby want to pass all around the perimeter looking for the perfect play, what can you do? Bench them I guess. But that prob won't happen. The problem is, those two control the puck more than anyone on the PP.

With DP, Perron and Hornqvist at their disposal, this PP should be hitting at a 22-25% clip. They have their PP QB in DP, their righty trigger in Perron (who can also run the PP from the LHW) and one of the best net front presences in the league in Hornqvist who is also a righty to boot.

Throw in the two best pivots in the world.... what's the problem?

I mean, seriously, other teams would kill for that type of talent on their PP. Just stop being dumb ***** and get pucks on net. It's what always has worked and always will.
I'm with you. We can complain about coaching decisions all that we want but the fact is that the players just aren't playing the way they are being coached to play. And that problem starts at the top.

Rutherford unleashed! :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

My goodness man...seriously?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like a GM like Rutherford that doesn't sit back and give the dance around the topic answers the way Shero used to.

Tell it like it is, JR, good on ya.

Michael8771*

oh come on. that quote wasn't in any shape or form 'crowing', it was sarcastic funny.

plus rutherford went on to damn the pens pp for being its own worst enemy and that its metro division issue is a huge problem in the same scrum. so it isn't like he doesn't see that the team has some major flaws.
A blind man can see we have some serious flaws, big deal. He should keep his mouth shut. His team is becoming the laughing stock of the division.

My goodness man...seriously?
Yeah, seriously.

I like a GM like Rutherford that doesn't sit back and give the dance around the topic answers the way Shero used to.

Tell it like it is, JR, good on ya.
Actually, not good on him. Makes him look like a sore loser. Apparently this team hasn't been humbled enough. But, then again the Caps have a crack at us next week. Maybe if they beat us 5-1 JR won't feel the need to chirp about such matters.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
A blind man can see we have some serious flaws, big deal. He should keep his mouth shut. His team is becoming the laughing stock of the division.

Yeah, seriously.

Actually, not good on him. Makes him look like a sore loser. Apparently this team hasn't been humbled enough. But, then again the Caps have a crack at us next week. Maybe if they beat us 5-1 JR won't feel the need to chirp about such matters.

You're way off here.

For 5 years, no matter how obvious the team's flaws were and how foolishly the team was playing, the organization always painted a rosy picture. Don't think some of that stuff didn't affect the players in a way that made them feel they could do no wrong. In fact, I bet a lot of the complacency we see comes from exactly that.

About time they get called out by someone who matters. Maybe they'll stop believing they **** roses.

Michael8771*

You're way off here.

For 5 years, no matter how obvious the team's flaws were and how foolishly the team was playing, the organization always painted a rosy picture. Don't think some of that stuff didn't affect the players in a way that made them feel they could do no wrong. In fact, I bet a lot of the complacency we see comes from exactly that.

About time they get called out by someone who matters. Maybe they'll stop believing they **** roses.
Hold the phone chief, I have no issue with JR calling out OUR team. That's not what I am taking issue with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad