Post-Game Talk: Pens/Leafs - They won it for Miro (and Sully)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I'd like this team to lock their way into actually being able to play in those games that "truly matter" before I push aside Jarry to bring in a goalie who will be good when the games "truly matter".

Putting the cart before the horse and such.

It is impossible to know who will be good when it really matters until a guy shows that he is. Jarry could have a great run some day, but he has been there a number of times without having that, to put it mildly.
I'd rather have two Ned's on the cheap and wait for us to develop our next promising tender ourselves and not be locked into a 5.3 million dollar contract for a guy who has given us what Jarry has in the playoffs.

It is not at all to make it all about Jarry though, and his cap hit is normal for his resume. Just a passing comment. I'd say the same for Guentzel, that I'd rather trade him when he looks hot than commit to the money he has earned,

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dubas beat his former team, so that earned Sullivan the rest of the season for sure.

Also, holy hell the PP is pathetic. Like, you couldn't draw up a worse unit if you intentionally tried to run a bad PP.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
They're 2 points behind while those teams have 1-3 games in hand on the Penguins. This team is 10-10, they're at a .500 record. That's not good.

I'm not all doom and gloom but I'm not going to act like everything is fine, either.
By point percentage they're 6th in the division.
I'm not suggesting all is well, but that the panic meter could probably be dialed down a notch.

I've wanted to fire Reirden into the sun for a while and would be fine with that. But I'm not sure Dubas is at the stage some fans are where he's going to fire Sullivan.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It is impossible to know who will be good when it really matters until a guy shows that he is. Jarry could have a great run some day, but he has been there a number of times without having that, to put it mildly.
I'd rather have two Ned's on the cheap and wait for us to develop our next promising tender ourselves and not be locked into a 5.3 million dollar contract for a guy who has given us what Jarry has in the playoffs.

It is not at all to make it all about Jarry though, and his cap hit is normal for his resume. Just a passing comment. I'd say the same for Guentzel, that I'd rather trade him when he looks hot than commit to the money he has earned,

I keep on coming back to trading Jake this season for a 1st, NHL ready prospect and cap dump.. something like 1st, Bourque, and Marchment from Dallas and then getting Calgary to pay us to take Huberdeau at full cost.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I'll take the win on the second of a b2b and a Saturday night. I was glad to see they didn't bleed goals against in the third, a baby step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I cannot replicate the array of circumstances that took place before and during the game, unless it's the involvement of Mariokart.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't disagree with any of this at all, I was just making the point that I don't think this team is in a position yet where they can make moves based on assuming they make the playoffs.

I'm not suggesting all is well, but that the panic meter could probably be dialed down a notch.

I've wanted to fire Reirden into the sun for a while and would be fine with that. But I'm not sure Dubas is at the stage some fans are where he's going to fire Sullivan.

Again, they're at .500 on the year so far. If they were 10-7-3 instead of 10-10, I'd agree with your point, but they're not really sitting in a great position right now.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Jarry can be excellent for stretches. This is known.
Personally I would like to trade him while he is hot, as I don't believe (don't see how he has given reason to) that he will ever be excellent when it truly matters.

Not watching any, so no weight to the opinion, but I would say that I've been arguing for DOC with Sid as an attempt to get the former going/develop, as in theory at least some of what DOC does is meaningful on that line.... and of course it would allow some "spreading the wealth" when we are healthy.

When Rust is back I agree with several here that it would be very nice to see him with Geno, but not counting on it. With how GCR looked just before Rust's injury, it likely isn't something to really hold against Sully either that he won't, but whether because of sickness, injury or just Geno being in a lull, numbers clearly tell us that Geno needs help. With how he started the season, the drop seems to big not to have some sort of reason, and without that line being effective consecutive wins will be sparse.

How this team can be bottom 5 (and falling) on the PP and top 7 (and rising) on the PK I will never understand.

Win, yay.
I imagine we're glued to Jars for better or worse, but I like the idea of selling high.

When prompted in the postgame presser, Sid spoke positively about DOC. Likes his speed and puck awareness if I remember correctly? Seems like he has a long tether to have a chance to prove he's a real NHL player.

I realize firing Reirden isn't the end-all solution to our problems, but our PP is unwatchable. 5-3 was atrocious as well, be glad you missed it, for the brief time we "enjoyed" a 2 man advantage. I'd like to see a coach in Reirden's role who actually can structure a PP, and perhaps get Sully a little less comfortable he is always right. I was in the minority with this opinion, but I think Toch was a critical element to our team's success.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I imagine we're glued to Jars for better or worse, but I like the idea of selling high.

When prompted in the postgame presser, Sid spoke positively about DOC. Likes his speed and puck awareness if I remember correctly? Seems like he has a long tether to have a chance to prove he's a real NHL player.

I realize firing Reirden isn't the end-all solution to our problems, but our PP is unwatchable. 5-3 was atrocious as well, be glad you missed it, for the brief time we "enjoyed" a 2 man advantage. I'd like to see a coach in Reirden's role who actually can structure a PP, and perhaps get Sully a little less comfortable he is always right. I was in the minority with this opinion, but I think Toch was a critical element to our team's success.
DOC and awareness? They are like mortal enemies.
No idea what Sid is talking about.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm sure Huberdeau would be a fine addition to a team that already chronically overpasses the puck

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I get the convo of whether Jake is worth another contract but if he does eventually go elsewhere the Pens are a team with finishing issues losing a guy who scores 35-40 goals every time he plays a full season.

He would not be easy to replace.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Genetic

Oct 21, 2009
Why did we scratch hino for Harkins? Why aren't we trying hino instead of doc on sids line? Sully is poop

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Another positive of the Karlsson acquisition is we finally have a defenseman who is consistently dangerous to score. If only Letang could end up being a double digit goal scorer ...

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad