Pre-Game Talk: Pens @ Leafs 11/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
And that is, in fact, on Geno. If we want to see him back to being a goal scorer, which he may never be like he was in 2011-12 again if you look at how he was scoring then, then he needs to begin taking the shots available to him.

PH is quite a bit better at everything than Dupuis, a wise man on here once said, but he also has skills Dupuis never had, passing, working the boards, and tipping shots. Geno knows to shoot at PH, it simplifies the game for him. I think MJ expects to see that same PP chemistry 5v5, and so do I.

Hornqvist really struggled getting the puck to Crosby in the neutral zone. He is a very different player than Dupuis, but neither have great hands.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Assuming Dupuis has somehow earned a lifetime pass in the top six for reasons unexplained...

I wouldn't touch the third line. They are playing great hockey.

Kunitz Crosby Dupuis
BB Malkin Hornqvist

This is what I want to see as well. Our second line would be set for the rest of the year, if BB stays healthy. And then a trade that upgrades our RW and sends Dupuis packing to the third line with Sutter, where he belongs.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why are we breaking up the top line? it's one of the best lines in the NHL? Johnston is being an idiot right now.

Because Malkin looked like an anchor out there dragging Dupuis and Comeau.

Sid and Horny look good together, but at the same time they really look best on the power play.

I don't understand why Bennett isn't with Malkin though. Seems like they should at least give him the shot.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I don't understand why Bennett isn't with Malkin though. Seems like they should at least give him the shot.

Well, what is being discussed is what, the second practice after Bennett's return from injury? And in November? Seems to me like there's plenty of time for him to get a shot there.

penguins2946*

Why are we breaking up the top line? it's one of the best lines in the NHL? Johnston is being an idiot right now.

While the top line had 12 ES goals in 14 games, Malkin's line had 6 ES goals in 14 games (and Malkin only had 1). We needed to split up that top line so the 2nd line wouldn't be a complete black hole.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
I still wish they would have tried
Dupuis Crosby hornqvist
Kunitz Malkin Bennett/spaling/...

All I know is if kcd is together going into the playoffs I'm done watching this team.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Johnston is trying some stuff out. If anything, this is good in November. He controls the team. Not Sid or geno. It's November.

To me, this is a test to see what type of player to pick up. Dupuis isn't not working in the top six.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Johnston is trying some stuff out. If anything, this is good in November. He controls the team. Not Sid or geno. It's November.

To me, this is a test to see what type of player to pick up. Dupuis isn't not working in the top six.

If the coaching staff learns only one thing in the early going this year, that should be it. Even Scuderi/Despres doesn't irk me as much as Dupuis in the top 6.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The second line clearly needed help but I would have looked at other options before promoting Dupuis. Who has been horrible. I'm also not so convinced that Spaling has done enough to deserve getting bumped up.

Also... I must be watching other games because I'm not seeing any of these clear shooting lanes that Malkin is passing on. There has been nothing available to him in the offensive end 5 V 5. He barely even gets the puck much of the time. And now the guy that is primarily responsible for that is playing on the top line. Which is terrific.

I get the feeling many people think the second line issues are pretty much on Malkin. Which I have a hard time agreeing with.

I'm watching the same games. The difference between this year and say 2011-2012 isn't that Malkin is passing on more shots. It's how much less he's seen the puck. Now, if he's playing with Horny, a guy who's going to go into corners (allowing Malkin to join the 2 on 2 battle and come out with the puck with some time and space) and who's going to the net (giving Malkin chances to take wrist shots) and who, while not a guy with the greatest vision, knows how to work a give and go AND Malkin STILL isn't shooting, THEN I'll agree that there's a big problem.

I'm not going to excuse the few he shots he does pass on, but I know with some of them, he sees a goalie who already is square (not moving side to side into position but already is square) on a tough angle shot where there's no screen, and I suspect that Malkin thinks there's a higher percentage play using his linemates (a late trailer, for example). As I said, not excusing it, but this 'why doesn't Malkin shoot as much as 2011-2012' clap trap reminds me of people asking why Malkin doesn't shoot as much when he's in the right circle on the PP as he did from 2006-2008 with Gonchar on the point and Malone screening the goalie. It's that vapid a question.

Now, THAT SAID, seeing KCD makes me want to puke. I would've tried Spaling-Malkin-Bennett for a game (or any other number of things), if only just to TRY something different, but KCD being together again PROVES why this team won't win another cup without a lot more changes . . . that Pascal Dupuis is entitled as a player to ANYTHING makes me want to puke even more than the sight of KCD does.

If Dupuis isn't working in the top six, then why is Dupuis still in the top six. If the aim TRULY is to experiment some, then why not Kunitz-Sid-Bennett, Spaling-Geno-Horny, and Dupuis-Sutter-Comeau/Downie.

I doubt Geno controls it. I think Sid could if so inclined. BUT, I'm beginning to think that Dupuis does. There's no other way to explain his continuing to be gifted a spot in the top six, each time as part of an 'experiment'.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007

I personally think double negatives are wonderfully elegant and drive home certain points more effectively than simply using a regular "to be" passive clause. However, just to be clear, you think that Dupuis isn't not working, as in "he is working," in the top six?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I personally think double negatives are wonderfully elegant and drive home certain points more effectively than simply using a regular "to be" passive clause. However, just to be clear, you think that Dupuis isn't not working, as in "he is working," in the top six?

Oh, I missed that. I just assumed that Cole meant that Dupuis isn't working in the top six. :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm on an iPad. The damn thing types what it wants lol. That was a typo. My apologies.

Glad to read that, because I'd called the folks who take people to padded rooms to find you. :laugh:

So, Dupuis doesn't work in the top six.

In that case, why are you complimenting Johnston for an experiment that keeps Dupuis in the top six, especially one that includes a defaulting to KCD? :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The vibe I'm getting is that they recognize geno is hurting. This trial run, to me, is to see if geno plays amazing with a guy like horny. If he does, my guess is they explore trade route. Dupers fills in for a line which beau will spot duty for, too.

Let's just hope Sid starts sucking. Lol

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
I am not sure that Hornqvist helps Malkin in shooting more. Although a better passer (receiving and giving) than Dupuis, Hornqvist is an indiscriminate high-volume shooter which means that most of the time he isn't giving the pass back to Malkin or positioned in front of the net. He's also substantially worse on defense which may explain one of the reasons why Spaling is on the 2nd line and not Downie, Bennett, or Comeau.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If Dupuis isn't working in the top six, then why is Dupuis still in the top six. If the aim TRULY is to experiment some, then why not Kunitz-Sid-Bennett, Spaling-Geno-Horny, and Dupuis-Sutter-Comeau/Downie.

I doubt Geno controls it. I think Sid could if so inclined. BUT, I'm beginning to think that Dupuis does. There's no other way to explain his continuing to be gifted a spot in the top six, each time as part of an 'experiment'.

Geno could control it, I don't doubt that. At minimum it's Crosby and Malkin, probably more like Letang and possibly others as well.

I don't even know any more, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think the stars on this team have it in them to actually be demanding, they're all too team oriented/not wanting to be that guy or whatever. 95% of the time that's great, it's just that 5% of the time that you need someone to demand something and no one does it that there's a problem. And if someone is demanding and being listened to it had better damn well be a star player, an actual star not some delusional fool's idea of one.

Dupuis being gifted a spot in the top 6 is ****ing bizarre. Last season he was **** and got removed from Crosby's wing by his biggest fan... he got put with Malkin. This season he's played like **** with Malkin and got put with Crosby, after coming off of a serious knee injury and having worse hands than ever. Yohe or whoever said Dupuis was upset about being taken away from his god given spot and there was his woe is me comment, and this team has had messed up amounts influence given to certain players for awhile now. Watch your back if any of the media hear you call him a 3rd liner, he's the soul of the team or something too. There's something odd going on there, or maybe they all really think he's a top 6 winger in which case the window is closed because you can't fix that. I still find his contract compared to Kunitz's weird as hell, tbh.

Still wishing Shero had signed Cooke over Dupuis. Maybe they need to finish culling the old regime's babies.

They should just let Maatta be in charge.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
They should leave Horny with Sid, all the second line needed was Downie or Comeay on the LW and BB on the RW until the trade and we got really good LW. simple as that

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm watching the same games. The difference between this year and say 2011-2012 isn't that Malkin is passing on more shots. It's how much less he's seen the puck. Now, if he's playing with Horny, a guy who's going to go into corners (allowing Malkin to join the 2 on 2 battle and come out with the puck with some time and space) and who's going to the net (giving Malkin chances to take wrist shots) and who, while not a guy with the greatest vision, knows how to work a give and go AND Malkin STILL isn't shooting, THEN I'll agree that there's a big problem.

I'm not going to excuse the few he shots he does pass on, but I know with some of them, he sees a goalie who already is square (not moving side to side into position but already is square) on a tough angle shot where there's no screen, and I suspect that Malkin thinks there's a higher percentage play using his linemates (a late trailer, for example). As I said, not excusing it, but this 'why doesn't Malkin shoot as much as 2011-2012' clap trap reminds me of people asking why Malkin doesn't shoot as much when he's in the right circle on the PP as he did from 2006-2008 with Gonchar on the point and Malone screening the goalie. It's that vapid a question.

Now, THAT SAID, seeing KCD makes me want to puke. I would've tried Spaling-Malkin-Bennett for a game (or any other number of things), if only just to TRY something different, but KCD being together again PROVES why this team won't win another cup without a lot more changes . . . that Pascal Dupuis is entitled as a player to ANYTHING makes me want to puke even more than the sight of KCD does.

For some reason, I think that Geno really turned the corner, he was very very good against Rangers, in any normal percentage ice tilting ways he would have had 3-4 points,

Watch him next several games he will tear it up

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
I'm on an iPad. The damn thing types what it wants lol. That was a typo. My apologies.
Autocorrect was designed by Dan Bylsma to better help HFBoards posters "get to their game."

The vibe I'm getting is that they recognize geno is hurting. This trial run, to me, is to see if geno plays amazing with a guy like horny. If he does, my guess is they explore trade route. Dupers fills in for a line which beau will spot duty for, too.

Let's just hope Sid starts sucking. Lol
The ideal outcome for this issue would be for Bennett to outperform Dupuis alongside Crosby. If Bennett can set Crosby up for some good looks and Hornqvist can give Malkin the space he needs to shoot, mission accomplished.

I am not sure that Hornqvist helps Malkin in shooting more. Although a better passer (receiving and giving) than Dupuis, Hornqvist is an indiscriminate high-volume shooter which means that most of the time he isn't giving the pass back to Malkin or positioned in front of the net. He's also substantially worse on defense which may explain one of the reasons why Spaling is on the 2nd line and not Downie, Bennett, or Comeau.
Malkin explicitly stated that he loves to shoot the puck when Hornqvist is on the ice. "Horny, good player, in front of net, I shoot."

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Autocorrect was designed by Dan Bylsma to better help HFBoards posters "get to their game."

The ideal outcome for this issue would be for Bennett to outperform Dupuis alongside Crosby. If Bennett can set Crosby up for some good looks and Hornqvist can give Malkin the space he needs to shoot, mission accomplished.

Malkin explicitly stated that he loves to shoot the puck when Hornqvist is on the ice. "Horny, good player, in front of net, I shoot."

Although only playing a limited time together, I don't think Bennett and Crosby are a good line combination especially when Kunitz is added to that line. Bennett's off-puck play doesn't mesh with Crosby-Kunitz. Such that even though Bennett is clearly the more skilled player, I don't think Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett especially with Bennett on his off-wing where he also doesn't look as good outplays Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis.

Also I have a feeling Sutter-Bennett will produce more than Sutter-Dupuis which will influence the decision about where to play Bennett and Dupuis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad