Post-Game Talk: Pens/Isles Plus/Minus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
+ Downie: Yes.. Downie gets my #1 plus because that's what this team has needed forever. Someone who will point at the other team and let them know there is no ****ing way our stars will take a beating. And then what does he do? He backs it up with a HUGE hit and a fight. We needed that culture so badly. Huge ups to Downie. I love how he cycles the puck also. He doesn't try to be anything he's not. He does a great job w/ Comeau in cycling the puck.

Downie also gets unfair treatment by Refs. It's so obvious.

+ Horny: The most tenacious player I've seen. He is relentless on the puck. You think he's out of a battle and he just works his way right back in. He also shoots everything in the world. How funny is it that he's had 14 shots in one game before? That's nuts. He's by far the most deadly Penguin and so consistent. I just love how Horny plays the game. His tenacity leads to so many turnovers or disrupts flow.

It's early, but if he stays at this level, the trade was a huge success to Pittsburgh. Huge success. Time will tell.

+ Geno: Wow way to tear it up #71. We've all missed that. He was a beast today. I don't have words for what he does when he is feeling it. It's why he is one of the best players in the world.

+ Spaling/Goc: Both guys are really elevating their game as role players. If one of them starts putting the puck int he net, we have hidden gems. I loved both players the last 2 games. Goc on faceoffs is also huge. Especially on the PK.

+ PK: Wasn't pretty at times, but it did the trick.

+ Overall forecheck: I think our forecheck does a great job at disrupting flow and causing turnovers. Much better than anything we've seen out of DB's system since 09.

+ Dupers: Even lacing them up tonight he gets a plus. That's why I love this sport. He also looked unaffected by the injury.

- Defense: Every single defender gets a minus. Ehrhoff, Martin, and Letang especially because they SHOULD be much better. Nobody clears the front of the net. They all stand around in the d-zone. Ehrhoff/Letang were out of position a bunch of times that lead to oddman rushes. They also don't cover anyone in the d-zone and their gap is overrated so far this season. Each and every defender right now needs to step their game up and our d-zone needs to get fixed. I'm giving it a lot more time than just 5 games, but it's a HUGE glaring issue.

As for Scuderi... I'll just take whatever positive I can get for the rest of the season. He's terrible. I just really want to see a lot more from our d. They need to be better. The d-zone needs to be better.

- Fleury's inability to cover the puck: It kills our d-zone. Kills it. Vokoun was so solid at just smothering the puck and getting a whistle. It's safe. Fleury is a ****ing idiot who thinks it's a hot potato. Cover the puck and save your defense from running around. He always pushes the puck into the corner when it's a slow roller. Just cover it.

- D Zone: See above. It needs fixed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I love Downie and Hornqvist. I also love Geno when he is like this. More importantly, I love that our coach recognized what was happening with him.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
also add a plus for crosby

the waaay behind the back pass out of the corner was maybe one of his best ever, in terms of vision

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
+++The PK was their best asset tonight. To hold the Islanders to 1 goal was huge.

+++Geno Got the power at the right time.

As you said, Cole, it wasn't pretty, but winning ugly counts just the same.:handclap:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
One thing I noticed . . . when the Isles weren't pressuring on the forecheck, they fell all the way back, and the few times they did it, the Pens D-man more often than not would fire the puck up ice just after leaving the defensive zone (like some shorter stretch pass). Nobody taking center ice although it was given, no forward wheeling back to take the puck with speed, nothing like that. Weird . . .

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hornqvist is awesome. Love watching someone with such dogged determination. It obviously feeds the whole team.

penguins2946*

++++Hornqvist has a 4 game point streak with 4 goals and 8 points to start his Penguins career
+++Despres and Maatta tonight, they were the only solid D
++Downie, even with the penalties
++The bottom-6 as usual
+Sid now leads the league in points and has 500 career assists
+Geno turned beast mode at the right time
+Sutter was great on the PK

-D as a whole pretty much

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
++++Fleury
++++the PK
++++++++++MALKIN
+++Spaling
+++++++Hornqvist
+++Goc
+++the PP!
+Downie
+The pressure and response after the NYI goal

=Crosby. Crongrats for the 500th assist!

-Martin
-the refs

---Boychuk

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I love Downie and Hornqvist. I also love Geno when he is like this. More importantly, I love that our coach recognized what was happening with him.

This. From that point on-- really the 4 on 4 with the backcheck-- it was 50/50 C/W. Will be interesting to see what comes next, because I don't think you can rationalize keeping him on Sutter's wing.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Gonna give a gigantic plus to MJ/Agnew changing up the PK schemes.
They looked awesome tonight on the PK.
Won them the game.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
-I thought Despres was our least bad defender tonight.

-Horny is such a good player.

-Gotta respect the results on the PK.

-Letang needs to get taken off the power play for The Hoff.

-Geno has his legs.

-Scudadams is bad.

penguins2946*

Also, we no longer have the worst PK in the league anymore and still are top on the PP

LET'S PARTY

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
+++++ the PK shutting down the isles PP
+++ Downie, despite all the penalties. His game should be huge for the room.
++ Hörny crushin' it
+ Fleury was solid

- Scuds and Martin

= everybody else

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
- First period

++++ Picking it up and playing after.
++++ GENO!
++++ Hornqvist
+++ PK