Post-Game Talk: Pens/Isles Game 1: Home Ice + Good Matchup all for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's not a 1-for-1 comparison, but this has me feeling like last year. Overall, they were probably the better team in Game 1, but there were stretches where the 'inferior' team carried the play. Price was great last year / Jarry sucked this year. Lost in OT.

If I didn't watch them lose 3 series in a row, I'd probably say no need to panic and Jarry just needs to play better, but shit, man. I don't know how any Pens fan could say they aren't nervous now.

It's really easy to be nervous for the penguins chances.

They are matched up against a slow methodical plotting and waiting team that just waits for your mistakes that are forced/self inflicted.
The problem is they penguins system leaves them open for a team built like the islanders to capitalize or get a great many HDSC... leaving the penguins struggling and eventually getting very desperate to pry the game open so they can utilize their strengths.

Thing is.... it's not really going to happen unless they net a few goals and force them into opening up. Although the isles are very patient. They will wait / maintain the same game being down by a goal or two. Pens really need to pour the goals on to open them up.

Just don't see it happening. I really want to be wrong.

Reactions: BHD

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Are posters who wanted the pens-isles matchup in full regret mode yet or we waiting til the brutal end?

Not going to lie I was hard in for the isles matchup... they were in the most disarray heading into the post season out of the four metro teams.

Kinda like........... ahhh never mind I cant think of a stupid analogy to convey what a silly idea that was in hindsight.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Are posters who wanted the pens-isles matchup in full regret mode yet or we waiting til the brutal end?

Not going to lie I was hard in for the isles matchup... they were in the most disarray heading into the post season out of the four metro teams.

Kinda like........... ahhh never mind I cant think of a stupid analogy to convey what a silly idea that was in hindsight.

I’m not sure anyone wanted this match-up.

Every team was going to be a tough out for us this year.

Reactions: BHD

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
My stress reliever is watching the caps-bruins... the more they beat themselves up and if the caps lose the happier, kinda care less about the penguins losing.

Still hate the bruins, but... not as much as the capitals or should I say just hate them both but in different ways and for different reasons.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I’m not sure anyone wanted this match-up.

Every team was going to be a tough out for us this year.

Awww man don't make me dig. Pretty sure I can recall a good number of posters hoping the bruins beat the caps (regular season to clinch 3 seed) so we have the isles round 1 (and the bruins / capitals is best for us because it eliminates hopefully the bruins because the penguins matchup best against the capitals weak back end)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think it was more not wanting the Bruins than wanting the Isles and also hoping that the Caps-Bruins beat the shit out of each other.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Awww man don't make me dig. Pretty sure I can recall a good number of posters hoping the bruins beat the caps (regular season to clinch 3 seed) so we have the isles round 1 (and the bruins / capitals is best for us because it eliminates hopefully the bruins because the penguins matchup best against the capitals weak back end)

well, yes. Boston has always had our number and Washington beats the shit out of us. If we are going to make a run you hope Boston or WAS injuries each other if we make it through the Isles.

why would we not hope for the team that is the least skilled out of the 3?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The game was a coin-toss even though Jarry was brutal but don't let this get in the way of your "Trotz is a mastermind" circlejerk. Saying the Isles were probably the least bad option is not at all as saying they would be an easy opponent. The way the Penguins have played in the playoffs since 2018, the Sabres would be a tough opponent.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
#1: Two Isles press the D... there isnt really much time. (situating dictating of course, but I watched OT a few times and they pressed basically every time unless a line change.)
#2: I agree.
#3: You saying they need to be more confident to join the rush? I wasn't paying much attention to what our D was doing in the re-watches, as in joining the rush)

I just re-watched some of the game (bits and pieces)...

For #1: Honestly, it's hard to tell if some of the hesitation is due to line changes (can't see up ice), or if they are looking for a better pass. All I remember is the regular seasons successes, we were much quicker moving pucks up the ice. The speed game. Very similar to how we played in 2017. Get it up ice a fast as possible even if it wasn't tape to tape. Sometimes dump and chase, and sometimes just chip/tap/hack away at it. You need just one fortunate bounce.

#3: It's possible Matheson coming back from injury is a factor for him. It's also possible the D don't have enough space, but playing with hesitation is a lot about a mindset. I'm really hoping it was just game 1. I just didn't see the D join any rushes, as we were heavily worried about a counter.

Positives though...
- We really kept Barzal under control.
- In 19 we kept backing up and they pretty much had their way with us. I don't see that now. We are standing up their F and closing the gap better.
- This isn't like 2019, I like our chances a lot better. We are by far more competitive. Question is will it be enough. At least we have a lot of players that didn't experience the last 2 years, so that's a benefit.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
well, yes. Boston has always had our number and Washington beats the shit out of us. If we are going to make a run you hope Boston or WAS injuries each other if we make it through the Isles.

why would we not hope for the team that is the least skilled out of the 3?

Coach / system.
2 of last 3 exits with him at the helm.
Really hope it's not going to be 3 of the last 4.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The defense was really, really passive after doing a pretty good job most of the year supporting the play. Lots of pulling up in the zone... hardly any rushing the puck, pushing the pace or, heaven forbid, taking it deep.

I know everyone will roll their eyes but it didn't look like nerves to me but planned. I don't know why this team insists on curling up into itself and dying every single year but I guess it's A strategy.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

For #1: Honestly, it's hard to tell if some of the hesitation is due to line changes (can't see up ice), or if they are looking for a better pass. All I remember is the regular seasons successes, we were much quicker moving pucks up the ice. The speed game. Very similar to how we played in 2017. Get it up ice a fast as possible even if it wasn't tape to tape. Sometimes dump and chase, and sometimes just chip/tap/hack away at it. You need just one fortunate bounce.

#3: It's possible Matheson coming back from injury is a factor for him. It's also possible the D don't have enough space, but playing with hesitation is a lot about a mindset. I'm really hoping it was just game 1. I just didn't see the D join any rushes, as we were heavily worried about a counter.

Positives though...
- In 19 we kept backing up and they pretty much had their way with us. I don't see that now. We are standing up their F and closing the gap better.
- This isn't like 2019, I like our chances a lot better. We are by far more competitive. Question is will it be enough. At least we have a lot of players that didn't experience the last 2 years, so that's a benefit.

Yeah it drives me crazy trying to really take a look into the game but only being able to see a small portion of the ice.

This is why I'm always clamoring for an option to watch the game seeing the entire ice surface.

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Positives though...

I think the big thing is they need to probably split some of the defensive responsibility to the Pageau line.

The Isles are the second most effective team in the league at dispersing the rush attack from other teams. PIT needs to be willing to dump and chase when the opportunity isn’t there. We did a great job of eliminating the Isles cycle last night.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The Penguins would be up 1-0 in the series had Jarry played competently yesterday.

Reactions: LOGiK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Thinking about the Jarry "jumping" out of the way of the puck thing again, it's kind of so out of character that it feels like something else has to be going on, like an injury that's not bad enough to sit with CDS (with his apparent crank yanking doing some damage to his groin) out, but still not pleasant to play through. If that's the case then the team defense needs to tighten the hell up. :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The Penguins would be up 1-0 in the series had Jarry played competently yesterday.

They'd also be 1-0 if we hadn't had a bunch of defensive and offensive breakdowns too.

It's one game, our team is injury city and can't seem to remember it's actually the playoffs. I'd like to pretend I'm surprised and mad but I'm not, I guess.

Reactions: Trade

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Thinking about the Jarry "jumping" out of the way of the puck thing again, it's kind of so out of character that it feels like something else has to be going on, like an injury that's not bad enough to sit with CDS (with his apparent crank yanking doing some damage to his groin) out, but still not pleasant to play through. If that's the case then the team defense needs to tighten the hell up. :laugh:

I think this actually dovetails into what I was talking about above... maybe.

If Jarry is injured and he did indeed get banged up a little not long ago... I guess it would make some sense that the defense has suddenly transitioned into turtle mode. To help insulate.

Problem is they aren't very good at that.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I agree, but if it's not one thing it's another. Still a loss.

Okay, but Boston and Washington and PIT all play shades of the Islanders system. So. We would have been facing an aggressive forecheck and trap regardless.
I don't really have a point to my post other than we knew from before what the penguins were getting in to.
Yes, you can say the penguins were pretty much the better team, but that can be depending how you look at it. Like emp said with better goal tending yesterday was most likely a penguin win... so... I donno.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They'd also be 1-0 if we hadn't had a bunch of defensive and offensive breakdowns too.

It's one game, our team is injury city and can't seem to remember it's actually the playoffs. I'd like to pretend I'm surprised and mad but I'm not, I guess.

None of the goals Jarry gave up were due to defensive breakdowns.

At absolute most, that game should have been a 3-2 regulation win with Jarry playing like he should be playing.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

At absolute most, that game should have been a 3-2 regulation win with Jarry playing like he should be playing.

Marino tripped up and fell backwards after HE initiated contact on the player with the game winning shot/goal.

Not really a defensive breakdown per say, but it was a defensive related gaff.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

That’s cool and I’m gonna pretend I care for a sec, but if Sid or Rust had capitalized on a shot or two we’d be looking at a 4-3 win too.

Like Jarry didn’t play good, but my dude, what a total oversimplification. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad