Post-Game Talk: Pens/Isles Game 1: Home Ice + Good Matchup all for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
The guys comparing the Pens and Steelers....

They are very similar. Both teams have underachieved for the last several years. They've both lost to inferior talent over and over again. And I believe that neither will ever win another championship with Tomlin and Sullivan as the coaches.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Must have been heartbreaking for you to watch Matt Murray in a Tristan Jarry jersey today.
tenor.gif

Reactions: JBose7 and KIRK

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
My son and i noticed the same thing. The weird duck/cringe thing. WTF? I don't recall seeing this before. I hope to hell this isn't a hockey version of the Steve Blass disease. Thank God this offseason will be a buyer's market for Gs....

Not sure I've ever seen that either, but it happened on both of the first two goals.

Bad goaltending, nothing from the PP, and a soft team. Story of the last 5 years

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The guys comparing the Pens and Steelers....

They are very similar. Both teams have underachieved for the last several years. They've both lost to inferior talent over and over again. And I believe that neither will ever win another championship with Tomlin and Sullivan as the coaches.

I think people underrate the Islanders. The Habs series was miserable, but like it was the bubble.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I think people underrate the Islanders. The Habs series was miserable, but like it was the bubble.

Maybe, but didn't the Isles get swept the series after they swept us? We've had the superior rosters almost every year for the last few years, and we've lost, usually in humiliating fashion.

Side note: This 'nightly sports call' with Bob Pompiani may get the dumbest people on the planet calling in.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Team played structured but below average goaltending will sink every ship. Hopefully we get above average goaltending and we should still be able to win in 5 to 6 games
...​

Last edited:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Our goal scorers were Gaudreau, Kapanen, Crosby and our "second pairing" was -5 combined.

Jarry needed to be better...

But Carter, Zucker, Guentzel and Rust need to show up in game two and Marino and Marcus Donkeyf***face needs to not be such a f***ing "female crotch."
See? It is exactly this imagery and metaphor that has been so lacking around these parts for the last month. I almost want to see them lose Tuesday to get the full faucet!

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
No it's not misleading. They just did their damage early, which is totally fine if you end up winning 2 Cups.

I mean sure, try a new coach next year and roll the dice I guess.

That new coach could end up being worse though and could break our playoff streak, being unable to overcome the slough of injuries we always deal with. Replacements always seem better when it's a fresh guy coming in, until reality sets in. Then you pine for what you had.

Wasn't Sutter supposed to save the Flames? How'd that work out?

How does that make Sully different than Bylsma? Dan usually led the team close to the top in the league standings. Hell he even got to a third round in 2013 and 2nd round in 2014 + 2010 along with the Cup in 2009.

Bylsma also never let the team be swept two years in a row. That's more than can be said about Sully.

I don't recall Pens ever being swept until 2019.

Reactions: spcastlemagic

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
How does that make Sully different than Bylsma? Dan usually led the team close to the top in the league standings. Hell he even got to a third round in 2013 and 2nd round in 2014 + 2010 along with the Cup in 2009.

Bylsma also never let the team be swept two years in a row. That's more than can be said about Sully.

The Bruins in the ECF in 2013.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
What game did you watch. Those goals they scored certainly didn't look like high danger chances to me. Those goals all looked soft. If we got average NHL goaltending this game doesn't go to OT and Pens win it easily and nobody is bitching. That was a pathetic showing by Jarry. If DeSmith was healthy he would get his shot after that effort. That might of been the worst goaltending of the year. A good highschool goalie stops most of those shots.

Being wide open in the slot is a high danger chance.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Huh?

Pens were swept in 2013 against Boston.

And what's Sullivan's second year of getting swept you're referring to? Are you talking about Montreal? The Pens won game 2 there.
Or are you already assuming we'll get swept in this round?

Reactions: dingo71

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Huh?

Pens were swept in 2013 against Boston.

And what's Sullivan's second year of getting swept you're referring to? Are you talking about Montreal? The Pens won game 2 there.
Or are you already assuming we'll get swept in this round?

I keep thinking they were swept last year. My bad.

They've never been swept in round 1 before 2019.

As for this year, if I were a betting man, I wouldn't hesitate to bet on them being swept or out in 5 after today's results.

You could feel the loss coming as the third period proceeded, especially after the tying goal by NY.

OT was nothing more than a formality for me. Just knew they were toast.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Not really a lot to examine here. They generally played pretty well outside of a couple small stretches. Sometimes the goalie just has a rough night. Happens to literally every team.

Something worth keeping in mind: During the back to back runs, they went down 0-1 in a series three different times(WSH and TB series in ‘16, OTT in ‘17). For those worked up, relax and try to keep some perspective here.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I keep thinking they were swept last year. My bad.

They've never been swept in round 1 before 2019.

As for this year, if I were a betting man, I wouldn't hesitate to bet on them being swept or out in 5 after today's results.

You could feel the loss coming as the third period proceeded, especially after the tying goal by NY.

OT was nothing more than a formality for me. Just knew they were toast.
I mean, you and half the board have been making worst case scenario predictions all year. None of those things happened. Ended up not only making the playoffs, but winning the division. The coach who everyone wanted fired should be in the Jack Adams conversation. The team who was supposedly hopeless on the PP finished 4th in the league, thanks to the new PP coach who everyone mocked. Jarry, who was supposedly supposed to sink us after January, went 25-9-3. In the off-season I remember everyone bitching about overpaying for Kapanen. Then he ended up being our best 5v5 player this year, miles ahead of Crosby. Should I even bother mentioning Matheson and Ceci, or is that too low hanging fruit?

Expecting us to lose every game and then being right when it happens is nothing to brag about. That's just pessimism. And it's not an admirable trait, even though this board seems to think so.

So I'll bet on you guys being wrong as usual and say the Penguins will not get swept based on a game where we outchanced/outplayed them and lost in OT.

If you feel confident I'm open to betting $10,000 on it. Pm me and we can arrange it.

Reactions: dingo71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad