Post-Game Talk: #Pens #Get #All #Calls Pens - 3, Refs -1 +1, Bruins -2

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The PK is much better, can't argue that. But as far as certain issues regarding puck support and consistently and safely getting the puck out of our end, we really have taken a step or two backwards. They don't pass the eye test in either of these areas. And while stats are a good gauge for some things, they don't always tell the full story. I'm seeing us getting trapped in our end way way too often. Truthfully, I haven't seen many teams worse in this regard than the Pens.

You are completely ignoring how decimated this team was the entire month of December. Look, I am not saying that this team doesnt have issues, but until half the team is not the WBS Penguins it is hard to get your panties too much in a bunch about things not being how you would wish.

Michael8771*

You are completely ignoring how decimated this team was the entire month of December. Look, I am not saying that this team doesnt have issues, but until half the team is not the WBS Penguins it is hard to get your panties too much in a bunch about things not being how you would wish.
I'm telling you and everyone else, these issues I'm speaking to are far more about lack of Structure, fundamentals and schematics and less about personnel. The injury excuse MIGHT be relevant as far as our overall offensive production. That I'll buy as that makes some sense. But injuries should not preclude us from playing sound, solid, positional hockey. And it shouldn't spill over into making poor decisions with the puck. Have you seen the last 10 or so games and how many times Crosby himself has been turning the puck over?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm telling you and everyone else, these issues I'm speaking to are far more about Structure, fundamentals and schematics and less about personnel. The injury excuse MIGHT be relevant as far as our overall offensive production. That I'll by as that makes some sense. But injuries should not preclude us from playing sound, solid, positional hockey. And it shouldn't spill over into making bad decisions with the puck.

you are on the right track but to play that structure, to get to the puck and and to move it quickly tape to tape through neutral zone requires committed and TALENTED players, we for the most part did not have those through this rough patch, so please give them some time when healthy and strong...

again don't underestimate all the games with Malkin on the wing that was a killer for our posession since Geno was stuck on the wall instead of being first on the puck...

Michael8771*

you are on the right track but to play that structure, to get to the puck and and to move it quickly tape to tape through neutral zone requires committed and TALENTED players, we for the most part did not have those through this rough patch, so please give them some time when healthy and strong...

again don't underestimate all the games with Malkin on the wing that was a killer for our posession since Geno was stuck on the wall instead of being first on the puck...
And that also is troublesome. To put him there as often as MJ did is a big red flag.

But to move the puck out of our end and make crisp tape to tape passes requires structure, knowing your assignment as where to be, hard work and paying attention to detail. It's less about skill and more about executing fundamentals. And these are areas we clearly need to shore up. The good news is it can be fixed. I'm just surprised it's taking this long to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael8771*

We can look at it a different way. IF we had better talent in our line up, these structural hiccups we have may be overcome because of our talent. But because we have a few key pieces missing we're less likely to get away with such play.

In any case we must fix these issues, because eventually and even when we get more guys back, these matters will come back to haunt us against fast, talented teams who can counterattack and forecheck us to death. The Isles for example. If we continually feed their transition game we're not gonna have a lot of success.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The last Tampa game was how you play the Isles. You trap/clog up the NZ and counter on their turnovers.

Pens are still playing too stretch pass'y for my liking. Theres a reason they've looked sloppy from just inside thier blueline to the far blue line. 2 D looking for outlets with all 3 forwards racing to the far blue line and having to stop up is gonna cause you to look sloppy. More support with MORE swooping back and attacking the NZ with speed is the way to go.
Geno's really the only one who does that well. More have to do it.

PP just had to start trending towards the better and it'll be fine. If it's getting chances, they'll start going in. Then you hope it hits a hot streak in the playoffs.

Michael8771*

The last Tampa game was how you play the Isles. You trap/clog up the NZ and counter on their turnovers.

Pens are still playing too stretch pass'y for my liking. Theres a reason they've looked sloppy from just inside thier blueline to the far blue line. 2 D looking for outlets with all 3 forwards racing to the far blue line and having to stop up is gonna cause you to look sloppy. More support with MORE swooping back and attacking the NZ with speed is the way to go.

PP just had to start trending towards the better and it'll be fine. If it's getting chances, they'll start going in. Then you hope it hits a hot streak in the playoffs.
Exactly, they're trying to force passes through the neutral zone which get picked off and result in odd man breaks or quality scoring chances far too often. Simply put We need better gap control and puck support.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

The first part can create that opening up of the neutral zone when the other team is forced to play back later in the game, provided the Pens are on point with playing a full 60. Those teams are good though and will create chances for themselves.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
You're not going to be able to convince certain posters on these boards of much of anything. Though it's admirable to try, it's more admirable and more constructive to to try to convince your house cat.

That being said, I agree with you. Nothing matters quite as little in the NHL world as what happens in January. Go look at what LA did last January.

Yea. You just read the same **** from certain people for a year and eventually you have to find out why.

Then you realize some people's cereal is just constantly getting **** in or something.

Mo Wanchuk

Embrace the Hate
Mar 16, 2009
Palm Isle
I just think that you are missing the forest for the trees to a degree.

I have been very clear that with a team like the Pens I could give a damn about the regular season record. I watch them to see how they are progressing as a team that could be effective in the playoffs. If it means losing some games, fine with me, as long as it serves that purpose.

With that in mind:

1. Lots of injuries make coming to any sort of conclusions iffy at best.
2. I love the team JR has put together as compared to Pens teams of the past few years, including the 'all in' team.
3. The Pens, despite the injuries, seem to at least have a sytematic approach to moving the puck out of their zone and up the ice. The forwards come back and support, they regroup if the pass is not there, and have vastly lessened the throw it half the length of the ice and pray approach Bylsma favored.
4. They have lowered the GAA, and supported Fleury much more. Far fewer one, two and three on none that used to be the norm for Fleury to face.
5. They have a ton of grit and sandpaper and stand up for one another.

If you actually watch this team and do not look for the flaws but look and see if they are progressing toward a more playoff ready team, they show a lot to be hopeful for.

This cannot be stated enough.

penguins2946*

Finally, that 4th line may not entirely suck ass next game. Please scratch Adams though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad