GDT: Pens @ Devils, 1:30 PM, MSG+, The Devil of Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
When Zacha fell Jack was the closest guy to the puck - but was on the wrong side of the play.
I'm convinced that if the roles were reversed, you're not blaming Zacha for not chasing when he's "the closest guy to the puck", you're blaming Jack for falling down.

Zacha literally lost 2 battles on the play, and Jack had to cover for Pav's lost man in Matheson, but somehow Jack should be blamed for that goal.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Not the worst effort. Need our two best play drivers back to have a chance against teams like this.

Yeah. I’m surprised (but not really) but the amount of venom in here. At least the team actually looked like NHLers and put forth an effort…the same cannot he said for a lot of their losses.

And as far as Gillies, I don’t know how you can complain. Sure, the Matheson goal, but he made other saves he maybe shouldn’t have. He kept the Devils in it for the whole game.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I've been told it doesn't matter because his defensive game needs work

A certain few posters just hate the guy, I don't get why, but at this point, who cares anymore.

Hope Bratt gets healthy soon and Zacha is outta here for an upgrade and we draft or trade for some forwards that can get to the front of the net that have size...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cmon Bleed I love you bud but stop with the nitpicking. You’re wayyyyyy to critical on the goaltending. The dude was wide open in front and tipped it top shelf. There’s nothing he can do about it.

We got solid goaltending today, Gillies stood on his head (for him) at times. Jarry was solid too but I didn’t see him make any real tough stops. He wasn’t under siege at all.
You're right on the third goal. That was a tip, it looked kind of bad, but I think it was a tip. You think it was a tip, so I'll say it was a tip and won't nail him on that.

But goal 1 was BAD and he wasn't screened, it went straight in. That was a BAD goal all the way around on goal 1.

From the point too. That was not a very forgivable goal. You gotta get a save on that one.

Reactions: JK3

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He was on top of the puck when it was in his own end trying to cheat and blow the zone in a 2-2 game before his team had possession.

They used to teach that in peewee.

that must have happened very early in the sequence. I saw Zacha fall and Smith get outreached on that third PIT goal. Not that Hughes is a great defensive player but I think you have lots of candidates for poor defensive play to worry about who don’t contribute offense to offset any deficiencies

Reactions: Devs3cups

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
His shot has improved dramatically as well as his ability to generate shots. 5 more today.
His shot was really never a problem...Take a look at his shot in his rookie year..here are all his goals, there are some beautiful shots. He couldn't get into position to use it prior to this season.

His 2nd ever goal against Arizona was as pure of a snipe as anyone could do.

Reactions: mdj12784

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zacha got his ankles broken, went full Bambi and slid all the way to the corner. But sure...the other players are bad defensively I guess.
He didn't like a f***in amateur on that play.

I hope we trade him soon cause if we keep showcasing him and trying to put him up against top lines, I'm gonna dislike him more than ever.

In the end, he didn't really play as many minutes as I thought he was going to, but it almost felt like he was out there every other shift.

Reactions: Devs3cups

crashline

What smells like, brother?
Feb 10, 2018
One endearing part of Gillies' game is the way he seems shocked if the puck hits his body instead of the twine behind him, as if you can hear him internally screaming "Whoahhhh this is wild!".

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
His shot was really never a problem...Take a look at his shot in his rookie year..here are all his goals, there are some beautiful shots. He couldn't get into position to use it prior to this season.

His 2nd ever goal against Arizona was as pure of a snipe as anyone could do.

His shot was a problem his first year, he hesitated, he telegraphed it, and shot at where the goalie would obviously be way too much. He was too used to scoring on teen boys and had to learn just how much better NHL goalies are. (You won’t see that on a montage of goals though for obvious reasons.)

And his shot was weak, not from closer up, but it definitely lacked umph from a distance and that was known from the draft.

Reactions: Triumph
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad