GDT: Pens @ Devils, 1:30 PM, MSG+, The Devil of Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We kind of got outgoaltended again, it was a fairly evenly played game. At some point Gillies needs to allow maybe 1 goal to a team that's not the Canadiens or not allow 3 goals. I mean, the first goal SUCKED.

It was MUCH worse than either of the goals Jarry allowed and I nailed him Jarry for the Hughes goal because it went through him, but a much more forgivable goal than a point shot to Mike f***ing Matheson.

I get what you are saying but to win today Nj would have needed the goalie to steal the game. They just didn’t creat enough offenses.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gilles gives up his usual 4 goals a game .... even when they win he gives up 4
He doesn't get credited for a goal against on that fourth one because it was an empty netter.

But the Matheson goal really just makes me forget about any other save he made today. Jarry made saves too.

It's very rare Gillies outplays the other goalie. When we win with him it's literally more about our team scoring a ton of goals than anything he did. A 3-2 (minus the empty net) game is where goaltending hurts you more than the blowout losses. I've been saying that for years.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
What specific poor defensive plays by Hughes led to a PIT goal?

He was on top of the puck when it was in his own end trying to cheat and blow the zone in a 2-2 game before his team had possession.

They used to teach that in peewee.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Im more pissed at the lack of interest in shooting the puck AT the net... Than all this perimeter back and forth and nothing (not even a shot attempt is made) .....

I get you need to move it around and create some movement....but at some point you take the damn shot (and not wide but on net...)

Look at nico goal... Case in point. You dont score any goals on shots not taken.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't care how many goalies we were using, how long Jack Hughes got injured for, how many guys got covid, how many games Dougie Hamilton missed, you can't give Ruff a season three when the team has had it's worst two points percentage seasons in the post-Lou era.

We finished with at least 70 points (or paced for it) in every year before Ruff and Recchi. They can't be here next year.

I never liked the hire from the beginning, so I'm not going to be rational or sympathetic to giving Ruff any longer here. If this were years one and two of the barebones rebuild, you could give him a third season, but these are NOT years one and two of the rebuild.

He's gotta go after the year. Recchi too. Rogalski also (I somehow doubt he's gone yet).

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Im more pissed at the lack of interest in shooting the puck AT the net... Than all this perimeter back and forth and nothing (not even a shot attempt is made) .....

I get you need to move it around and create some movement....but at some point you take the damn shot (and not wide but on net...)

Look at nico goal... Case in point. You dont score any goals on shots not taken.

They are an entire team of Zajacs in the offensive zone. They shoot when they should pass, pass when they should shoot. Shoot left if they should shoot right, pass too late, they just don't know what to do. They almost always make the wrong choice.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
He doesn't get credited for a goal against on that fourth one because it was an empty netter.

But the Matheson goal really just makes me forget about any other save he made today. Jarry made saves too.

It's very rare Gillies outplays the other goalie. When we win with him it's literally more about our team scoring a ton of goals than anything he did. A 3-2 (minus the empty net) game is where goaltending hurts you more than the blowout losses. I've been saying that for years.
He wasn't in goal? How could you tell ... lol

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I didn't really like the third goal either, but to me it looked like it was deflected and it made hard to control. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He was on top of the puck when it was in his own end trying to cheat and blow the zone in a 2-2 game before his team had possession.

They used to teach that in peewee.

What you are saying is true about not jumping gun unless set play... But Hughes guy did not affect that goal. Hughes actually did get back to man cover and the play continued onward for a few more plays. His action didnt directly harm.

It was more a combo of boyle manhandling ty.... And zacha falling towards boards (prior to that) which opened up a bit of space. But in reality... It was a dirty garbage close in goal by a guy with like half a foot on smith who could force his play.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Hughes had better goalies than Cory Schneider's cremains, Louis Domingue (and he might have actually been the worst) MacKenzie Blackwood in itty bitty chopped up pieces, Scott Wedgewood, two different 21 year old's that have barely turned pro and Jon Gillies, you wouldn't notice mistakes.

But we since we have THESE HORRIBLE goalies, you notice EVERYTHING.

Look at some of those names, that's pathetic man. Some of those names are an embarrassment to the position.

2013 Brodeur is better than MOST of those guys.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
What you are saying is true about not jumping gun unless set play... But Hughes guy did not affect that goal. Hughes actually did get back to man cover and the play continued onward for a few more plays. His action didnt directly harm.

It was more a combo of boyle manhandling ty.... And zacha falling towards boards (prior to that) which opened up a bit of space. But in reality... It was a dirty garbage close in goal by a guy with like half a foot on smith who could force his play.

When Zacha fell Jack was the closest guy to the puck - but was on the wrong side of the play.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I didn't really like the third goal either, but to me it looked like it was deflected and it made hard to control. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that.
Cmon Bleed I love you bud but stop with the nitpicking. You’re wayyyyyy to critical on the goaltending. The dude was wide open in front and tipped it top shelf. There’s nothing he can do about it.

We got solid goaltending today, Gillies stood on his head (for him) at times. Jarry was solid too but I didn’t see him make any real tough stops. He wasn’t under siege at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia