GDT: Pens @ Coyotes 9pm, Sportsnet Pittsburgh, ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I don’t think Dubas is going to trade Jake tbh Selling means you’re 100% giving SJ a high pick this year or next.

He’s probably just hoping we finishing high enough so he doesn’t look like a fool.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Defense isn't good. Offense isn't good.

Well, these things happen. Own goal aside the same issues are just so blatantly obvious with a lack of depth scoring (more than one reason / option on that), defenders who aren't tough enough on the opposition in prime areas, etc.

Is what it is. If we don't see a shakeup trade beyond just Jake (if it is Jake), we'll continue to barely tread water down in the standings. If we don't do that AND fire a coach (or the lot) - I just don't see how we can expect anything to turn around.

Reactions: Andy99

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Letang doesn´t suck. EK and Malkin, yes. I actually don´t hate Letang´s play this season. I don´t even care. It´s just not fair to Sid, he doesn´t deserve this situation.

Dude still doing it all on most nights.

The rest of them seem to show up for about 25% of the games, if that. And when those players do show up - it's not all that stand-out-ish against the opposition.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah, Letang is better than him this season for sure(not sarcasm). Karlsson's good offensively, but not even great. And defensively he's bad most of the time. Maybe a coaching change would help, but EK just doesn't seem like a fit.
if EK does not seem like a fit, that tells you more about fit than EK

Reactions: akapidots

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Probably didn’t have a vision of doing it but now that he sees the stale shitty coaching this team is getting, doesn’t he have a Hypocratic oath or something to do something about it lol?

I think he may view it as the players' issue.
And realistically, it probably is.
The best chance the team has of turning it around is a "new coach bump." Most on this board agree but FSG & Dubas apparently do not.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You're right but the downgrade is appropriate for this season. Would hate to hear Errey mask his disappointment.

Honestly, I thought Army and Rupper would bring a little more to the booth. But they do seem to somehow encapsulate the spirit of things right now.
Colby and Rupp just put me to sleep. They're so f-ing boring.

Kinda like the team I guess. You're right on that

Reactions: tom_servo

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Yeah, Letang is better than him this season for sure(not sarcasm). Karlsson's good offensively, but not even great. And defensively he's bad most of the time. Maybe a coaching change would help, but EK just doesn't seem like a fit.

I enjoy his shifts - in the offensive zone. He dangles, he's confident - I don't feel like we're going to lose the puck like I do most of the time with literally anyone else (even Letang, most of the time)..... but yeah, defensively he's been horrid and maybe it's just the situations we get put in being such a small team.

I see those goals against and we're just getting pushed around down low. If he had a partner - or some forwards with size - I'm not sure that's going to be the case.

Either way, I could see him being trade bait (however fortunate/unfortunate that may be) - and I've held out hope that if he is - it's for impactfulness coming back. I doubt we could land Marner but the Leafs would cream for EK. Maybe a retained Huberdeau and have him play with Geno? Idk.

spfan

May 4, 2009
if EK does not seem like a fit, that tells you more about fit than EK
I would certainly try a coaching change before making an EK trade or any major trade. But I gotta point out EK is not living up to expectations at all in my opinion.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I think he may view it as the players' issue.
And realistically, it probably is.
The best chance the team has of turning it around is a "new coach bump." Most on this board agree but FSG & Dubas apparently do not.
I'm feeling a tilt is coming with Dubas. The all star break might be a good opportunity.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Wish the season was going better for you pens fans. But can’t tank really cause of that protected 1st..

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Colby and Rupp just put me to sleep. They're so f-ing boring.

Kinda like the team I guess. You're right on that

Watched the 'Yotes broadcast tonight. I may make a habit of it going forward. I genuinely liked Errey and appreciated him calling the team a hot pile of dog feces when warranted.

This current group of modern blow hard offend nobody disgusts me. We freaking suck - often. Call it out. Stop pretending EVERY hit and EVERY save is cup-clinching greatness. It's horrid to listen to.

Reactions: Pancakes

spfan

May 4, 2009
I enjoy his shifts - in the offensive zone. He dangles, he's confident - I don't feel like we're going to lose the puck like I do most of the time with literally anyone else (even Letang, most of the time)..... but yeah, defensively he's been horrid and maybe it's just the situations we get put in being such a small team.

I see those goals against and we're just getting pushed around down low. If he had a partner - or some forwards with size - I'm not sure that's going to be the case.

Either way, I could see him being trade bait (however fortunate/unfortunate that may be) - and I've held out hope that if he is - it's for impactfulness coming back. I doubt we could land Marner but the Leafs would cream for EK. Maybe a retained Huberdeau and have him play with Geno? Idk.
Marner is much more valuable than EK.

Huberdeau would be a reasonable swap. Highly paid underperformers, but Calgary is looking like they're about to rebuild, so EK to them likely doesn't make sense for them.

I'd certainly look at a coaching change before an EK trade or any major trade though.

Also I wouldn't really put it on EK not having a good d-partner. He put up 100pts on a horrendous team last year. Even if he wasn't good defensively there either, he at least was putting up incredible production.

the fact that EK doesn’t seem like a fit is 100% coaching.

Paul Maurice made Josh Morrissey look like mediocre 2nd pairing defensive dman. A new coach comes in and encourages him to skate and handle the puck and he’s a ppg defenseman.
I'd certainly try a coaching change first. But EK does deserve some blame.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
You know it's gotten bad when Leafs fans are talking :laugh:
Well im super critical of the leafs. shanahan keefe can gtfo lol. I know EK was an exciting acquisition, very surprising the PP struggling, but I’ll say this, if Joel Quenville and Barry trotz have expiry dates, so does Sully.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Marner is much more valuable than EK.

Huberdeau would be a reasonable swap. Highly paid underperformers, but Calgary is looking like they're about to rebuild, so EK to them likely doesn't make sense for them.

I'd certainly look at a coaching change before an EK trade or any major trade though.

Also I wouldn't really put it on EK not having a good d-partner. He put up 100pts on a horrendous team last year. Even if he wasn't good defensively there either, he at least was putting up incredible production.

I'd certainly try a coaching change first. But EK does deserve some blame.

100% you try a coaching change. Yesteryear.

With regard to a player swap - EK is only 'underperforming' by about 10 points right now. A lot of that could be on the PP. He'd pick that up on ANY other team in the NHL tomorrow - especially Toronto.

But Huberdeau still intrigues me in that his contract is very, very long and he's a playmaker - something we've only ever had two (and now, pretty much one) of. Be nice to see someone dish Geno one timers.

At this point I just want a shakeup that isn't mid for mid. No more Tanner Pearson types (in Smith and Rakell). We still (and have for years) desperately need a defenseman that can lay a genuine timely hit. List goes on, but yeah, coach should go first especially since he seems to control the roster makeup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad