Pens Chrome logo for Stadium Series game

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
So the NHL released all these weird-ass "Chrome" logos for the Stadium Series teams. Ours is no different from the regular one, but the Devils has green and the Isles have a new alt logo.

1112-chrome-pit.png

But the big news is that it looks like these aren't going to be the standard throwback/classic jerseys for outdoor games, so throw away those dreams of the Cup-era uniforms.

"The NHL also unveiled today the NHL Chrome Collection, chrome-treated team logos specifically designed for use in connection with the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Seriesâ„¢. The Chrome logo designs are unique to the NHL Stadium Series and inspired from the chrome details on the NHL shield, bringing a dynamic and modern perspective to conventional team identities."

We might be wise to read a little more into that last line. Bringing a "modern perspective to conventional team identities." Likely a frightening thought to the traditionalists among us, but probably an important idea to consider.

In fact, someone with knowledge of the Stadium Series jersey designs recently described them to me as "futuristic." Later, another source told me the NHL and Reebok took the lead designing them. The teams were merely "consulted" as opposed to being directly involved.

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2013/11/12/chrome-logos-for-stadium-series.html

Sounds terrifying.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
They're fine; who cares. Everything can't always be the same or repeated.

Besides, if not for trying new things we'd never have gotten such gems as the Kings' Burger King, Aneheim's Wild Wing, and the Buffalo "slug" :laugh: These could be much, much worse.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
They're fine; who cares. Everything can't always be the same or repeated.

Besides, if not for trying new things we'd never have gotten such gems as the Kings' Burger King, Aneheim's Wild Wing, and the Buffalo "slug" :laugh: These could be much, much worse.
Yeah I'm actually excited in a perverse way. Maybe they'll look like MLB's "Turn Ahead the Clock" uniforms.

bad-pirates-uniform_display_image_display_image.jpg

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
this is only going to add insult to whatever injury Crosby suffers during the game

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
So...they embossed the logo and added an ugly metal texture to part of it? Geez. How exciting.

I'm kinda curious what is meant by "futuristic" - if these are gonna be metalic robo-jerseys, I'll be seriously disappointed.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Hey, there are WBS fans that defend the inclusion of red...you can never be too sure.

This whole 'we're not doing retro' vibe seems like something that's coming entirely from RBK. I guess after years of fans bemoaning their ineptitude and wanting pre-RBK designs back finally made them snap.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
WBS uses red as a nice accent that gives them a little uniqueness. I dislike when AHL teams just slap a new logo on the parent club's jersey.

That said, the fact that WBS is using it is a big reason why I don't want the big club incorporating it.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Based on the logo shown here, which is similar to what they displayed on the Pens site the other day, it's a POS. There are freshman art students out there who could do a better job of repurposing the logo / giving it a new look. They've added what looks like a slight bevel, a metallic texture and a gloss finish to the normal skating Penguin. Why, I have no idea. Glossy and metallic only works for video game UIs and sometimes online. But in most uses, it will muddle the details of the Penguin and generally look more cheesy. Unless you're going to lacquer the ****ing jersey this change serves no real purpose.

Not sure what the NHL is trying to accomplish here but as usual their marketing ideas are a bag of ****.

Last edited:

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
I have a feeling these jerseys are going to be god awful. I feel like "futuristic" uniforms could potentially be pulled off. Like a lot of NCAAF teams are using cool matte helmets, crazy designs and seemingly some new kinda material. They could be seen as "futuristic" and if the NHL took some stuff from them and didn't go overboard it could be pretty cool.

But then again, chrome....

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
I have a feeling these jerseys are going to be god awful. I feel like "futuristic" uniforms could potentially be pulled off. Like a lot of NCAAF teams are using cool matte helmets, crazy designs and seemingly some new kinda material. They could be seen as "futuristic" and if the NHL took some stuff from them and didn't go overboard it could be pretty cool.

But then again, chrome....

Yeah I like what the NCAAF us doing with a lot their teams, but isn't that Nike not Reebok? I'm not sure if Reebok can do those types of designs because I assume nike has them copyrighted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad