Proposal: Pens/Canes/Stars Blockbuster

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pens and Stars get the best players and Carolina gets mostly futures because they'll be rebuilding forever. What's not to love?! :sarcasm:
Sounds good to me, but Faulk and 1 year of Skinner is not worth 4 years of Kessel, Skinner would have to have a extension in place prior or after the trade. But I don't wanna trade Kessel anyway, unless we are getting a crazy overpayment like Nino, Brodin, Coyle, Kaprizov.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Sounds good to me, but Faulk and 1 year of Skinner is not worth 4 years of Kessel, Skinner would have to have a extension in place prior or after the trade. But I don't wanna trade Kessel anyway, unless we are getting a crazy overpayment like Nino, Brodin, Coyle, Kaprizov.
Sounds good to a Pens fan? Wouldn't have guessed it.

I didn't say anything about Kessel for Skinner. I understand why someone wouldn't want to do a deal based around that.

Just that dealing Faulk and Skinner to a divisional opponent and only receiving back futures and an unproven malcontent like Nichushkin doesn't exactly work for us when we need basically the exact opposite (proven NHL talent) to supplement our young core.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Dallas turns Nuke+Faksa+1st into brassard and kessel?

yeah right

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Sounds good to a Pens fan? Wouldn't have guessed it.

I didn't say anything about Kessel for Skinner. I understand why someone wouldn't want to do a deal based around that.

Just that dealing Faulk and Skinner to a divisional opponent and only receiving back futures and an unproven malcontent like Nichushkin doesn't exactly work for us when we need basically the exact opposite (proven NHL talent) to supplement our young core.
I meant to Canes rebuilding forever. :P

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't understand why Pens try and acquire Faulk when they have Letang and Schultz.
Yeah it makes no sense cap wise to have another big 4m+ on the 3rd pair.

The whole trade is a mess. Dallas gets a top winger and a solid C, we get a decent return, Carolina gets owned.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A Top 6 scoring center is need for Carolina, but it doesn’t have to be addressed externally. A quality 1-2 punch in the middle may already be in the organization; Aho has extensive experience playing in that spot internationally and Necas is one of the best prospects in hockey at that position.

Skinner likely can be had for futures; his contractual status inhibits the ability for Carolina to get a quality NHL player with some term in return. Judging by what Carolina asked Chicago for Faulk (Saad), a current Top 6 caliber NHLer is wanted for that asset. A center is preferable, but it’s not a position the Canes necessarily have to chase.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
A Top 6 scoring center is need for Carolina, but it doesn’t have to be addressed externally. A quality 1-2 punch in the middle may already be in the organization; Aho has extensive experience playing in that spot internationally and Necas is one of the best prospects in hockey at that position.

Skinner likely can be had for futures; his contractual status inhibits the ability for Carolina to get a quality NHL player with some term in return. Judging by what Carolina asked Chicago for Faulk (Saad), a current Top 6 caliber NHLer is wanted for that asset. A center is preferable, but it’s not a position the Canes necessarily have to chase.

If the Canes want to try their in-house options, that's perfectly reasonable. My position was that it was going to be hard to address it externally, and if they did, it might cost more than they're comfortable with.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Brassard and Faksa are decently even, maybe slightly leaned toward Faksa.

So that means Nuke + 1st becomes Kessel?

Sign me up as a Dallas fan.

Canes lose this deal pretty badly IMO. Pittsburgh comes out pretty well.

More needs to be going to Carolina.

Yep. I'd do this as a Stars fan even if it'd be hard to see Fox go, but Kessel and Brassard = 2nd line woes solved in one go. Slot Spezza on line 3 and make it somewhat potent with Pitlick and Shore

Rad-Seg-Benn
Janmark-Bras-Kessel
Pitlick-Spezza-Shore
Line 4 = Flavors of the month

Pretty good there

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pens give up Kessel at (4 years), Brassard (1 year )and a 2019 1st for a UFA Skinner, Faulk (2 years) and (Faska 2 years).

Kessel lands most of that on his own.

Brassard is equal to Skinner considering C>W and both are UFA and both will command large pay raises. That brings it down to Kessel, 2019 1st for Faulk and Faska. Simply no. Not even Kessel straight up for both.

I don't like it as a Pens fan.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The Pens give up Kessel at (4 years), Brassard (1 year )and a 2019 1st for a UFA Skinner, Faulk (2 years) and (Faska 2 years).

Kessel lands most of that on his own.

Brassard is equal to Skinner considering C>W and both are UFA and both will command large pay raises. That brings it down to Kessel, 2019 1st for Faulk and Faska. Simply no. Not even Kessel straight up for both.

I don't like it as a Pens fan.

Re-signing Skinner would be understood in any deal. And we could swing it with the money moved in a Kessel trade.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What's with all the Pens-Canes deal where we get back Faulk (who we don't need) and they get back the scrapings from the grills in the arena?

That said - while I totally get the Canes' dislike for deals that don't solve 1C/Goaltending - Skinner/Faulk aren't the assets that solve that.

phil7488

We're back
Mar 3, 2011
DFW
I would rather give up Faksa, Nuke + a 1st to get Panarin than Kessel and Brassard
I want Panarin and all but we'd need a center coming back in some way. We don't exactly have the center depth to be giving up a C for a winger. Maybe swap Faska our for a prospect or another pick.

Reactions: Kcb12345

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
What's with all the Pens-Canes deal where we get back Faulk (who we don't need) and they get back the scrapings from the grills in the arena?

That said - while I totally get the Canes' dislike for deals that don't solve 1C/Goaltending - Skinner/Faulk aren't the assets that solve that.

They aren't enough to get a 1C but they're certainly good enough to get a decent goaltender

Reactions: Ookhaab

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They aren't enough to get a 1C but they're certainly good enough to get a decent goaltender

How do you define decent? Because if you mean Grubauer/Raanta well proven back up with potential type guys then, yeah, they've got that value. Overkill in fact.

But if you mean decent proven starter, I'm not sure they do, simply because virtually nobody has a spare and nobody sells off the only one they've got.

Love the avatar btw.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
How do you define decent? Because if you mean Grubauer/Raanta well proven back up with potential type guys then, yeah, they've got that value. Overkill in fact.

But if you mean decent proven starter, I'm not sure they do, simply because virtually nobody has a spare and nobody sells off the only one they've got.

Love the avatar btw.

Skinner for Varlamov + was debated quite a bit and both teams found it to be a good fit.

I doubt NJ wants to deal in the division but something around Schneider would make sense. No one is saying they are going out and getting Vas or Quick or anything.

Reactions: DaveG

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Skinner for Varlamov + was debated quite a bit and both teams found it to be a good fit.

I doubt NJ wants to deal in the division but something around Schneider would make sense. No one is saying they are going out and getting Vas or Quick or anything.

Eh, fair enough then. Guess we'll see if it plays out that way.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Correction: #1 center. We already have a pretty good #2 in Staal and both Necas and Rask could also be #2 caliber types this season

RASK?????? Rask is probably the 4th C next season, Necas has future 1C potential and Aho I believe can be our 1C as early as next season, he has always played better at center but we will see next season.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
RASK?????? Rask is probably the 4th C next season, Necas has future 1C potential and Aho I believe can be our 1C as early as next season, he has always played better at center but we will see next season.
I'm not writing him off considering the shoulder injuries that he's had the past 2 seasons which he's finally getting surgery on. Before he was projecting quite nicely. I still think he has #2 upside and has played at that level already in his career.
But yeah, long-term I think Necas is the guy, I just don't think it's going to be next season. Aho may or may not be the answer there, if he is we're golden, but if he's not then we're in the same hole we're currently in.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I'm not writing him off considering the shoulder injuries that he's had the past 2 seasons which he's finally getting surgery on. Before he was projecting quite nicely. I still think he has #2 upside and has played at that level already in his career.
But yeah, long-term I think Necas is the guy, I just don't think it's going to be next season. Aho may or may not be the answer there, if he is we're golden, but if he's not then we're in the same hole we're currently in.

Eric want return a Carolina

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad