GDT: Pens @ Bruins Part 2

member 96824

I haven't even seen the goal (started following the Ferguson stuff after the 2nd period) but can tell exactly who won just simply by the posters that are/were here, or specifically those who aren't. I love this place, no joke.:laugh:

Always entertaining.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
My thoughts on the game:

- I thought the 4th line was pretty good for a change
- You can see Pasta's skill but he's not quite there just yet
- Looch was pretty invisible aside from his goal and the called off goal. I won't nitpick though. If he can continue to go to the net while the Swedes feed him it could be effective.
- I didn't have a problem with having both goals called off. They were both very close and could have gone either way. Video review gets the call right more often than not.
- I liked the effort tonight. As the game went on I was worried the Bruins would fade away because they pretty much went with 3 lines but they fought hard until the end and came away with a point.

Last edited:

sisu

Jun 2, 2008
boston, ma
Just in from the game.

Dougie was icing his face (ice pack). Looked like he has a cold or sinus issue.

I don't get why that second "non-goal" wasn't counted.

The refs were bad ..yet again. That call on Bergy was lame.

Pastrnak was fun to watch but he wasn't on the ice enough.

Marchy looked great.

Looch , Yeti and Loui looked great. What is with Looch taking so many face-offs ?

All things considered the B's played well.

I noticed the faceoff bit too. I know he takes them on his strong side periodically (mostly on PP) but he was taking them in the neutral zone over soderberg at least once tonight.

Soda nursing something perhaps? Didn't notice him looking limited otherwise.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Dangit, I knew I forgot to do something at the game today. I parked myself in loge 22 during the warmups, and I meant to peek at the water bottles for numbers. While there's "strength in numbers", there's also probably rhinovirus in numbered water bottles. I'm bet that there's a 27 on one of them.

999 out of 1000 times Dougie does NOT have influenza. No way would he be anywhere near the ice - I don't care how much "grit" you have, how healthy you are, and how much the team needs you, the flu knocks you on your ass for almost a week. It's probably a cold/sinus thing. It just bugs me because most people out there don't know the difference between cold and flu; they should call it "minor illness" instead of "flu".

It could also be a "stomach flu" (gastroenteritis from either a viral source or bacterial), but he'd probably be better by now.

Back to the game - great effort. I was disappointed for the first two periods that I didn't see more Pasta, but he finally got some more minutes. I wasn't expecting 15 or 16 minutes from him, but only about 1:50 in the first period?!?! I thought maybe I wasn't paying attention, but the only time I saw an 88 on the ice was as he was climbing back into the bench. I was basically right.

I thought Marchy seemed a little tired...but maybe that's just me. Hope he can fix whatever is physical ailing him before it starts mentally ailing him.

A good overall effort - I'm okay with 1 point. Yes, I'd love this team that's still putting the pieces together to start winning against "contenders" like the Pens. But I'd rather wait and beat them in the ECF. (Shut up, I can dream.) I reserve the right to whine against 4-3 wins against Buffalo, but I fully give up my right to whine about a 3-2 OT loss that shouldn't have been a loss.

Speaking of which, I'm still not over the Soda no-goal. It was so clearly NOT batted in. I'm letting Patrice's goal go - it looked high to me. If Jack Edwards wants to create some mischief, he'll tweet the phone number of Hockey Ops next time this happens. I wonder if they can handle 17,565 callers.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
How good are Morrow and Hamilton going to be. The future is very bright ladies and gentlemen. Add Krug into that mix as well.

When Z gets back I keep them together.

Chara-Seidenberg
Morrow-Hamilton
Krug-Miller/McQuaid

Hate to do that to Bart since he's been playing extremely well.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
How good are Morrow and Hamilton going to be. The future is very bright ladies and gentlemen. Add Krug into that mix as well.

When Z gets back I keep them together.

Chara-Seidenberg
Morrow-Hamilton
Krug-Miller/McQuaid

Hate to do that to Bart since he's been playing extremely well.

I don't know about Chara-Seidenberg,obviously the pairing has been great in the past but not sure if that pairing is mobile enough to compete for a Cup.Morrow has been playing so well that I think I might be willing to take my chances on using him in the top 4 and not going after another D. I know that philosophy didn't work out last year as Miller and Bart struggled against Montreal but he has impressed me more than those two did last year when they were playing well in the regular season.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I loved what Marchand has done for us (2011) but last year in the playoffs and this year he's been terrible. We need more than what we are getting out of him thats for sure

After the first ten games of the season or so, I think Marchand has been pretty good...

Not perfect, but...terrible? Sure you're not just obsessing over the stat sheet? He's stopped with his stupid neutral zone plays almost completely, and is making the simple play when he needs to MOST OF THE TIME. This is a complete turnaround from earlier this year and the PO's last year when he was trying to be Gretzky every time he had the puck.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
The Bruins can defeat Pittsburgh in a 7 game series again.Marc Andre Fleury will crack.

I thought we were the better team tonight in spite of a depleted roster but let's stay realistic.

The Pens certainly didn't play their best hockey as well. That was a piss-poor effort and still got the two points.
And I assume they will be very active at the deadline.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I haven't even seen the goal (started following the Ferguson stuff after the 2nd period) but can tell exactly who won just simply by the posters that are/were here, or specifically those who aren't. I love this place, no joke.:laugh:

Always entertaining.

I proclaim my innocence from this observation as my power was out from about 10:30 to 1:00 AM. :laugh:

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
I am pretty disappointed with how the ice time was doled out. Gagne got almost 13 mins and both Pastrnak and koko got about 11 mins combined. I am not a Clode basher, but that is just awful. Over the years some of his personnel decisions have left me scratching my head, but this year has been that x3. Why play Koko for 3 mins? I mean I get that he made a coverage mistake on the Crysby goal...but so did Siedenberg.....should he have sat? I mean he did leave the best player in the world just stand in front of the net.
I don't know....it just seems like there is a disconnect with how Clode is coaching and what players the front office is bringing into the fold.

P.S. Enough with Gagne experiment. I don't like him on the team as he is all but useless.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
missed this one, fair to say the B`s played well, could have taken this one?

Yeah...they could've won it.

Even when they play well, they're getting no breaks, either from the "hockey Gods" or the refereeing.

Hopefully they can hold their heads high knowing they put in a solid effort and continue to progress.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I don't know about Chara-Seidenberg,obviously the pairing has been great in the past but not sure if that pairing is mobile enough to compete for a Cup.Morrow has been playing so well that I think I might be willing to take my chances on using him in the top 4 and not going after another D. I know that philosophy didn't work out last year as Miller and Bart struggled against Montreal but he has impressed me more than those two did last year when they were playing well in the regular season.

If Bart is truly over his hump and he could handle the minutes his mobility would look good paired with Chara.

Not sure if Krug could handle the MJ Utes either but he might also look good with Chara.

Seids right now is a hot mess. At first I was willing to say "rust" but he has had plenty of time to get the rust off. His knee injury has made him slower and his decision making is bad.

Like Morrow and Hamton together.

Right now all the DMen look good but I think when Chara comes back we see Morrow or Miller out of the line up. When McQuaid comes back who knows.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If Bart is truly over his hump and he could handle the minutes his mobility would look good paired with Chara.

Not sure if Krug could handle the MJ Utes either but he might also look good with Chara.

Seids right now is a hot mess. At first I was willing to say "rust" but he has had plenty of time to get the rust off. His knee injury has made him slower and his decision making is bad.

Like Morrow and Hamton together.

Right now all the DMen look good but I think when Chara comes back we see Morrow or Miller out of the line up. When McQuaid comes back who knows.

This is what stands out to me. He takes forever to make a play out of his zone and then when he makes it, it usually isn't good. He's never been a "puck-mover", if we're really still going to use that term, but he's been a lot better than this. I'm not writing Seidenberg in for the top 2 in the PO's, and I think anyone who does is a little crazy.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I thought we were the better team tonight in spite of a depleted roster but let's stay realistic.

The Pens certainly didn't play their best hockey as well. That was a piss-poor effort and still got the two points.
And I assume they will be very active at the deadline.

Reading on the Pens board they seem to think they need some better forwards. Losing Dupuis hurts as well in that department.

So I think you're right about the Pens looking for forwards. There are also a lot of fans still mad at Shero for trading Morrow.

I think Crosby enjoyed his Chara free night.

I think one thing our young D is better at and getting more confident at is skating the puck out then passing it when the opposition pressures the D to D pass. The D right now is more mobile and Bart, Krug, Morrow and Dougie are good to very good skaters (Bart is probably the best skater on D and it is a huge asset when he minimizes his other mistakes).

I actually the the Bruins match very well against the Pens.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I was pretty impressed with how the B's played this one.

As much as I hate it, the Pens are a really good team. I thought they would eat us alive.

Didn't think going into it we'd be getting a point and it's only due to that BS call on the 2nd goal being waved off that we didn't get two.

I love the Swedes/Looch line. They look awesome together, why did it take so long for this to happen? Disappointed not to see much of Pasta last night. I hope we don't end up wasting most of his 9 games up cause Clode's gonna Clode.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Yikes. Khokhlachev played all of 2:53 and Caron 3:35. Why even have them out there? :laugh:

I'm fine with Julien shortening his bench though. Is it sad that despite them being on the ice for that little time, they were still minus players? :laugh:

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Just watched the game - or some of it. I know we're all "doom and gloom" since we lost, but I thought we played a solid game and have been looking a lot better the last 3 games. I think if we'd had that net-front presence in the Habs game we could have won. The D is playing better - collapsing in on the net and clearing the puck from crease much more effectively. The offense is getting a lot of good chances. I can't believe both goals got called off. I could have seen them both going with the on-ice calls since they were both really close but to overturn one and keep the other? Come on. We should have been up 3-2.

I thought Loui had a fantastic game. He's been playing much more physical and involved. Great stick work going on. That pass to Looch was absolutely phenomenal. My jaw dropped. Marchand and Smith looked awesome too. You can see Bergy is so much more confident out there with Brad back. Bet they'll get a couple points on Friday. Some beauty work out there from those two.

Wish we could have seen more of Pasta. Maybe if they keep him up for Friday and we can get a nice lead over the Jets. Missing Griffith though. I love his offensive work.

I think we are a Krejci and a Chara away from being a very solid team. I saw something about Chara being 10-14 days away? Wish we knew what's going on with Krejci. I think people are somehow underestimating the effect those two have. The fact we almost beat the Pens (in fact I think we DID beat the Pens, the refs were really the ones who beat us) is a sentiment to this team. We are a good team. Imagine Chicago without Toews and Keith, LA without Kopitar and Doughty, Nashville without Forsberg I guess and Weber. We're on a similar point track as LA and Chicago and they have their big guns.

I know everyone likes to complain, but this is not a bad team. Are we going to win the East? I doubt it. Do I think we're going to win the cup? Probably not. But I didn't think we would be good in 2012-2013 either. If Krejci and Chara can recover and be at 100% in time for April, I think this team has as good a shot as any.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
Yeah...they could've won it.

Even when they play well, they're getting no breaks, either from the "hockey Gods" or the refereeing.

Hopefully they can hold their heads high knowing they put in a solid effort and continue to progress.

I remember saying to myself a number of times ("the hockey gods hate us"), specially when Crosby got that first goal how it just found its way out of the scrum right on his stick. I really thought we outplayed and deserved the 2 points tonight, but literally nothing is going right for us right now.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Yikes. Khokhlachev played all of 2:53 and Caron 3:35. Why even have them out there? :laugh:

I'm fine with Julien shortening his bench though. Is it sad that despite them being on the ice for that little time, they were still minus players? :laugh:

Not really considering they made one mistake and got scored on then had very little ice time after that. Clode has a short leash with these guys.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Reading on the Pens board they seem to think they need some better forwards. Losing Dupuis hurts as well in that department.

So I think you're right about the Pens looking for forwards. There are also a lot of fans still mad at Shero for trading Morrow.

I think one thing our young D is better at and getting more confident at is skating the puck out then passing it when the opposition pressures the D to D pass. The D right now is more mobile and Bart, Krug, Morrow and Dougie are good to very good skaters (Bart is probably the best skater on D and it is a huge asset when he minimizes his other mistakes).

Only saw the 3rd period, but Bart was impressive. Skating the puck out with authority eventhough he had guys on him. Made smart passes as well. Really hope he never reverts back and he remains mentally strong.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Bart may have actually turned the corner ,he seems to be skating the puck out of the zone a lot.Perhaps the coaching staff told him"if you don't know what to do ,skate the puck out"

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
The 2 players I would not mind seeing gone are Brad Marchand and Reilly Smith. They are paid to score and really haven't done much of it. Marchand has been invisible a lot lately

Marchand has been hurt for the past fiew games, and prior to that he was ripping it up.
First game back in a while and you expect what ?

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Dangit, I knew I forgot to do something at the game today. I parked myself in loge 22 during the warmups, and I meant to peek at the water bottles for numbers. While there's "strength in numbers", there's also probably rhinovirus in numbered water bottles. I'm bet that there's a 27 on one of them.

999 out of 1000 times Dougie does NOT have influenza. No way would he be anywhere near the ice - I don't care how much "grit" you have, how healthy you are, and how much the team needs you, the flu knocks you on your ass for almost a week. It's probably a cold/sinus thing. It just bugs me because most people out there don't know the difference between cold and flu; they should call it "minor illness" instead of "flu".

It could also be a "stomach flu" (gastroenteritis from either a viral source or bacterial), but he'd probably be better by now.

Back to the game - great effort. I was disappointed for the first two periods that I didn't see more Pasta, but he finally got some more minutes. I wasn't expecting 15 or 16 minutes from him, but only about 1:50 in the first period?!?! I thought maybe I wasn't paying attention, but the only time I saw an 88 on the ice was as he was climbing back into the bench. I was basically right.

I thought Marchy seemed a little tired...but maybe that's just me. Hope he can fix whatever is physical ailing him before it starts mentally ailing him.

A good overall effort - I'm okay with 1 point. Yes, I'd love this team that's still putting the pieces together to start winning against "contenders" like the Pens. But I'd rather wait and beat them in the ECF. (Shut up, I can dream.) I reserve the right to whine against 4-3 wins against Buffalo, but I fully give up my right to whine about a 3-2 OT loss that shouldn't have been a loss.

Speaking of which, I'm still not over the Soda no-goal. It was so clearly NOT batted in. I'm letting Patrice's goal go - it looked high to me. If Jack Edwards wants to create some mischief, he'll tweet the phone number of Hockey Ops next time this happens. I wonder if they can handle 17,565 callers.
...and you didn't stop to say "Hi" ? Loge 22 is where we sit. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad