Post-Game Talk: Pens/Blues: Stick-To-It-Ive-Ness

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For real. This board used to rock. It’s embarrassing now.

Big 2 points. Keep it going post-Kap life.
The team is f***ing embarrassing. Making the playoffs validates the stupidity. Maybe a lot of us are f***ing tired of it.

Like I give a f*** what someone feels about my fandom of a team. I have my reasons.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Barbashev absolutely rocked Dumo's shit behind the net. Imagine if we had a guy in our bottom-6 entire lineup that did that.
Dumo got rocked a few times

Fell down a bunch

Was rough to watch... And of course he gets like three wide open offensive shots and muffins all of em right into the goalie lol

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Nailed it - Exactly. Criticize the personnel and pieces all you want - that's what we're all here for anyway - but come on man. I thought what bonded us all was we all want the same team to win? This place BUMS ME OUT sometimes.

Geno and Rust looked f***ing awesome on their goals tonight.

Laughed when Blueger got robbed by the post. Dude can't catch a break.
I want this storybook ending more than almost anyone else here, I'd warrant. But I still think you need to call out bad play and bad coaching when possible for it to even have a chance of happening. :laugh:

There's a lot of people who use "always root for the team" as a way to avoid talking about problems with the team, and f*** that noise.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
The non-productivity of Guentzel is starting to concern me. Makes me wonder if a Horny for Neal trade should be in our future?

As for Guentzel.... he is obviously a very good player. This is not a Neal situation for me. Guentzel is better. Neal simply played with a superior version of Malkin than what Sid or him can do now.
But with Guentzel it all depends what we would get. In a year he will get more money than he is now, perhaps significantly so. And we cannot let him walk.
If you could deal him and get enough to make a real play for Meier for instance, then you do that every day. Meier adds much more of what the team (and Sid) needs to extend OZ time, net crashing/PP, presence down low, intensity etc. Rather pay him 9 for 8 years than give Guentzel 7 next time.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
So, watching the game today with my coffee and there's a few things that stand out. One is that Malkin looks like he still has a few years in the tank and is very much invested in this club, which is awesome. This is what we all hoped for.

But man, what is Jake doing this year? The team also looks like they just can't handle physical play, which of course is a gigantic red flag for the postseason. Barbashev and Dumo as were mentioned above is probably one of the most visible moments, but there were just quite a few moments where it looked like we were avoiding any sort of physical play.

Also, if the Blues are giving us this much trouble, we're gonna be in for a rough road in Round 1.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Avatar bet? I just can’t see it happen outside of an injury to Sid or Geno. Can’t see us win a round either, but being beaten by two among this Isles team, Buffalo and DETROIT?
it's more likely than it's been since 2005 imo.

i think without major surgery we're probably handily behind both buffalo and the isles. detroit no, but we're not that much better than them as things stand now.

Reactions: Night Shift

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
it's more likely than it's been since 2005 imo.

i think without major surgery we're probably handily behind both buffalo and the isles. detroit no, but we're not that much better than them as things stand now.

Sure its more likely. We are borderline less than a week before the trade deadline.

But we have under-performed massively. We have a goalie who is 17-7-5 who is back healthy (knock on wood), and we have, on paper, an easier schedule than at least Detroit and Buffalo (and Florida for that matter).

I think we will squeeze in. If in the 7th spot there is always the chance that my compatriot Andersen melts down. 8th spot.... I don't buy that Boston are that heavy favorites, as awesome as they look, but it won't be us who beat them.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
We have beaten only one playoff team since December 20th. And that was in a game in which DeSmith stood on his head and even so we were minutes away from losing 1-0..The last time we beat a playoff team by more than one goal was November 19th. The team is extremely mentally fragile and has a penchant for losing leads in the third period. If it weren't for our weird ability to beat all Central Division teams, we wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs but we only have a handful of games against teams from that division.

But three games against the Rags in one week are coming up! Could be quite the massacre. :)

Reactions: vodeni and Andy99

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Way higher than that.
Right, I mean I don't care. Just find it funny some waste so much of their time rooting against the success of a team they supposedly are fans of. Criticism is fair and definitely deserved but Thousands of post about the same negativity spun 100 different ways.

You hit up a game thread and see "I hope we lose this game" etc.

I could give a shit who people root for but what I do find interesting is the time and post devoted to negativity towards a team. 20 daily...,... I am sure there are some good psych peer reviews on subjects.

Reactions: bathroomSTAAL

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
So, watching the game today with my coffee and there's a few things that stand out. One is that Malkin looks like he still has a few years in the tank and is very much invested in this club, which is awesome. This is what we all hoped for.

But man, what is Jake doing this year? The team also looks like they just can't handle physical play, which of course is a gigantic red flag for the postseason. Barbashev and Dumo as were mentioned above is probably one of the most visible moments, but there were just quite a few moments where it looked like we were avoiding any sort of physical play.

Also, if the Blues are giving us this much trouble, we're gonna be in for a rough road in Round 1.
Malkin's celly on Goal 1 was awesome

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Need to win the face off to start ot
Yea of all the fair criticisms of Carter, that wasn’t one. He won the draw and got right off the ice which led to sustained zone time and chances to start OT.

Possession is the most important thing for 3v3 and every single team plays it that way. 5 years ago you would rarely see a team leaves the offensive zone intentionally. Now you see it 4 times in any given OT game.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Do people really root against this team or just know what’s coming?

Like I said can’t wait for the Blues next goal after we scored, but I wasn’t rooting against the Pens. It is just a matter of fact that the blues were going to even it up.
Some of both. People rooting for Kapanen to have a HT yesterday just to prove some point that Sullivan is really the issue as if the organization will reverse course and fire everyone if that happens. Stuff like that definitely happens.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Some of both. People rooting for Kapanen to have a HT yesterday just to prove some point that Sullivan is really the issue as if the organization will reverse course and fire everyone if that happens. Stuff like that definitely happens.
So? People were hoping Malkin got run out of town a few months ago, and there weren't any passive aggressive "tsk tsk, you're not being a fan the right way" posts.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As for Guentzel.... he is obviously a very good player. This is not a Neal situation for me. Guentzel is better. Neal simply played with a superior version of Malkin than what Sid or him can do now.
But with Guentzel it all depends what we would get. In a year he will get more money than he is now, perhaps significantly so. And we cannot let him walk.
If you could deal him and get enough to make a real play for Meier for instance, then you do that every day. Meier adds much more of what the team (and Sid) needs to extend OZ time, net crashing/PP, presence down low, intensity etc. Rather pay him 9 for 8 years than give Guentzel 7 next time.
I wasn't comparing Jake to Neal, I was saying that do to some issues with Guentzel's game, do we explore a trade where we get a better/different player play and a minor add. This would be similar to the Jake for Matthew Tkachuk deal I used to pish. Tkachuk was no 40g scorer like Jake but brought several elements Jake doesn't.

That said, if you could send out Jake for a roster player plus picks and use some of it on Meier, then yes I would do that.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I wasn't comparing Jake to Neal, I was saying that do to some issues with Guentzel's game, do we explore a trade where we get a better/different player play and a minor add. This would be similar to the Jake for Matthew Tkachuk deal I used to pish. Tkachuk was no 40g scorer like Jake but brought several elements Jake doesn't.

That said, if you could send out Jake for a roster player plus picks and use some of it on Meier, then yes I would do that.

Yes please, I'm very much over watching Guentzel play. And I'm using the word "play" very loosely because besides putting up points (good) it's like he's not even on the ice.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Pens can easily out play these slower teams. Unfortunately all the good teams are very fast and they have very aggressive forecheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad