Post-Game Talk: Pens/Blues: Stick-To-It-Ive-Ness

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
With the bottom6 hardly ever contributing, you understand why they get little O-zone opportunities. But when you see that neither Carter or Blueger had 1 single O-zone start, and only Carter got to take 1 (one) O-zone draw in the entire game 5 on 5, it also suggests how mentally draining it must be for any player with a hint of scoring ability to play there.

It is really hard to see how any offensive-first player is going to contribute in that situation. Gotta remember that when we start pining for Puustinen to get a shot. Not that I don't... but if used like Kappy before (or Heinen, really), it is tough to see what difference he can make.

From within there is only really Poehling who can allieviate this, if he takes a big step forward and gets some tickets. A big ask. More so with him being injured of course.
I think this was the 3rd time Poehling's been knocked out of the lineup with the same injury. Might be best to shut him down for the year.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
@Jesse and others with some or a little connections…. Can we have it pointed out to the twitterverse how grotesque it is that Guentzel remains a lock on a dismal PP with his 11 PP points on the season?
More so when the biggest problem on the unit (besides Letang being a spazz) is that they get too little traffic/screens/rebounds/won battles & races down low, and Zucker has provided all of that for the 2nd unit and made his name doing so for Minnesota?

Other than Carter related grievances, this is, IMO, the biggest points costing “locked into stupidity” issue with Sully’s TOI management remaining after the Rust/Rakell flip was made.

Reactions: Andy99 and Rave7215

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
@Jesse and others with some or a little connections…. Can we have it pointed out to the twitterverse how grotesque it is that Guentzel remains a lock on a dismal PP with his 11 PP points on the season?
More so when the biggest problem on the unit (besides Letang being a spazz) is that they get too little traffic/screens/rebounds/won battles & races down low, and Zucker has provided all of that for the 2nd unit and made his name doing so for Minnesota?

Other than Carter related grievances, this is, IMO, the biggest points costing “locked into stupidity” issue with Sully’s TOI management remaining after the Rust/Rakell flip was made.

I legitimately don't understand why he is out there on PP1. From a powerplay perspective, he does nothing well.

Entries? No.
Retrieval? No.
Winning battles? LOL
Shooting? No.
Traffic? No.
Is Right Handed? No.

In fairness, PP1 has so many issues that I'm not upset that Zucker is the best player on a very functional PP2, who often salvages our 2 minutes and ensures we don't exit the penalty on the back foot. If that's the reason, fine by me. But if Sully legitimately believes Guentzel is one of our 5 best powerplay players, or believes that Crosby is incapable of hopping over the boards without Jake by his side, that's a problem.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

The non-productivity of Guentzel is starting to concern me. Makes me wonder if a Horny for Neal trade should be in our future?

I also really liked Barbashev's game today. Would love to pick him up.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
The non-productivity of Guentzel is starting to concern me. Makes me wonder if a Horny for Neal trade should be in our future?

Man, Hextall isn't not going to do anything like that... I've been pretty neutral on Hextall but he seems super scared to do anything decisive ... much like his tenure at Philly....

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Man, Hextall isn't not going to do anything like that... I've been pretty neutral on Hextall but he seems super scared to do anything decisive ... much like his tenure at Philly....
Then why are you neutral on him if he’s “super scared to do anything decisive?”

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Probably correct.

L
I legitimately don't understand why he is out there on PP1. From a powerplay perspective, he does nothing well.

Entries? No.
Retrieval? No.
Winning battles? LOL
Shooting? No.
Traffic? No.
Is Right Handed? No.

In fairness, PP1 has so many issues that I'm not upset that Zucker is the best player on a very functional PP2, who often salvages our 2 minutes and ensures we don't exit the penalty on the back foot. If that's the reason, fine by me. But if Sully legitimately believes Guentzel is one of our 5 best powerplay players, or believes that Crosby is incapable of hopping over the boards without Jake by his side, that's a problem.

Because everything at this point is based on the name rather than your actual play when it comes to accountability on this roster.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We are always so opposite on our player takes.

Wonder who is wrong.
I have a long track record of not being wrong. Occasionally on a hot take but...those are few and far between.

Barbs would do well with us both and in the future.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Then why are you neutral on him if he’s “super scared to do anything decisive?”
I've should have said 'was neutral'...

I didn't like those contracts and the Carter one was bad... but man adding up his latest moves and walking it back through hist Expansion protection... to where we are now....

Yikes.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub

Entries? No.
Retrieval? No.
Winning battles? LOL
Shooting? No.
Traffic? No.
Is Right Handed? No.

ENGuentzel has been bad this year, especially on the power play. But his handedness? Seriously? PP1 already has Letang and Rakell. Three LHS and two RHS is a great mixture.

And although he isn't doing it lately, he's the best on the team at deflections in the mid slot.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
ENGuentzel has been bad this year, especially on the power play. But his handedness? Seriously? PP1 already has Letang and Rakell. Three LHS and two RHS is a great mixture.

And although he isn't doing it lately, he's the best on the team at deflections in the mid slot.
Jake would be better as the bumper/high slot guy, not the net front.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I often think when watching this team, how the f*** did we win like 15 out of 16 this season. I don't care who we were playing it still doesn't make any sense.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

This is the type of deal we really truly need. Zero swagger to this roster. They haven't developed any meaningful talent from the farm since they yanked Rust, Guentzel, and Kuhnhackl from the minors in 2016.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Half the board roots against the team.
Nailed it - Exactly. Criticize the personnel and pieces all you want - that's what we're all here for anyway - but come on man. I thought what bonded us all was we all want the same team to win? This place BUMS ME OUT sometimes.

Geno and Rust looked f***ing awesome on their goals tonight.

Laughed when Blueger got robbed by the post. Dude can't catch a break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad