Pens backup next year?

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I apologize if this has been discussed already. I am not a regular visitor to this section.

I was wondering if there are any rumors or theories out there about who will be the Pens backup goalie next year?

Thanks.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Probably journeyman yet to be determined. Although Zatkoff was serviceable, I don't think Pens will go down that road again.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for the quick response...that is what I thought.

Murray and Jarry will likely be in the AHL together, I assume. And because Zats' contract is one-way for $600,000, I assumed he'd be the logical choice to be the backup.

However, I was a bit confused because they paid him that much money to be in the AHL last year, so I was wondering if there was more to the story.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Zatkoff wasn't any worse or better than Greiss and he's cheaper. Not a huge fan of Zatkoff, I think he sucks harder than Greiss does in net.

I wouldn't mind just signing Hackett as an option just in case, at worst if he doesn't crack the team and is better than Zats, he'll be back-up to Murray.

Hackett is 25, a UFA, likely bouncing from the Sabres for sure a well. He wasn't a terrible guy not so long ago and his injuries threw him off the radar, could be a "their loss, our gain" thing or like I said, at worst, he's a back-up to Murray.

It adds some competition in camp for the back-up job, which is needed for sure.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Remember Brad Thiessen?
maxresdefault.jpg

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Last time I saw him he was sitting on the Wild's bench during last year's playoffs.

He still looked like he was 12.

Curry: Do you know who i am?
Bouncer: Don't care, you're 12 buzz off kid
Curry: I am 31 years old!
Bouncer: It's past your bedtime, go back to mommy.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Assuming the Pens dont find themselves in a dog race for the final playoff spot ........ Id like to see MAF take a step back in his games played a bit. Instead of playing his usual 65+ games, bring it down to 60.

Have Zatkoff as your back up, playing 15-17 games.

Assuming Murray is playing well for the baby Pens, call him up for 5-7 games. Id really like to see him get a few games here and there to give him a taste for the NHL speed and power but not throw him off the plank and tell him to swim. I think giving him a couple of practices with the big boys, a few games, then sending him back to the AHL will help his development.

Again, there are two big assumptions there. If neither of those come to fruition, then all is status quo. MAF 65+ games. Zatkoff 10-12 games. Ho hum.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My only concern about Zatkoff is he's not exactly coming off a good season in the AHL. So even if he was solid a year ago his confidence might be at a low point and that's not something you want in a backup that seems a bit flaky to begin with. But maybe a strong camp + preseason can repair that.

I think we've all discussed this before but another possible scenario is to keep Zatkoff on the bench but call-up Murray for occasional starts to keep Zatkoff's games to a minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad