Post-Game Talk: Pens/Avs WTF even was that

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Have you been drinking before you posted this? Because I'm not entirely sure what substance is clouding your mind to think there's been ANY indication that the organization wants to move on from Sullivan.
just a moment of weakness. :cry: just seeing all our players that are playing better on other teams, and thinking they could be playing better on this one.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I just dont know who to blame more for this year’s disastrous season, Sully or Dubas.

Dubas foolishly did not make any coaching changes, and bent over backwards to create a roster to Sully’s liking. The bottom six being a disaster was not surprising. Dubas made no changes until giving away Jake.

Dubas’ first season was very disappointing. Ive hated Sully since the covid cup; I am not surprised about his incompetence this year.

Last edited:

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Sullivan doesn't do any coaching for 3 on 3 because he never played 3 on 3 back when he was a grinder NHLer. He didn't play on the power play, so he doesn't coach that either. He cares way too much about penalty killing because he was penalty killer. Mystery solved!

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Sullivan doesn't do any coaching for 3 on 3 because he never played 3 on 3 back when he was a grinder NHLer. He didn't play on the power play, so he doesn't coach that either. He cares way too much about penalty killing because he was penalty killer. Mystery solved!
There’s likely way more truth to this than is comfortable.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
This game proved that the players on the roster have the capability to play well against the best teams in the league. The fact that they do and don't so inconsistently night in and night out, points 1000% to coaching issues.

That plus the fact that several teams whose rosters are in no way noticeably superior to the Penguins -- e.g. Flyers, Capitals, Islanders -- are all in much better position to make the playoffs than the Pens are. They likely aren't the only teams which fit that description either.

When one team does something like that it could be called overachieving or just luck; when numerous teams get more out of their rosters than the Pens do, it's called coaching -- superior coaching in some cases (Torts for sure, perhaps Carbery, but Patty Roy? LOL.) and positively inferior coaching in the case of the Penguins.

Aside from a temporary spike in his give-a-damn level when playing against his BFF yesterday, it's good that Sid is (hopefully) learning a valuable lesson -- he and the other "core" players need to make about keeping their country club environment and total lack of accountability except of course for young players. The choice is "We never want to play for any other coach but Cuddly Sully!", or being on a competitive team ever again.

You and your buddies asked for this, Sid. Are you suddenly not enjoying it?

Good.

Now do the right thing and get this asshole fired.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This game proved that the players on the roster have the capability to play well against the best teams in the league. The fact that they do and don't so inconsistently night in and night out, points 1000% to coaching issues.
My theory is that this team - when executing - is still pretty solid and can compete with anyone.

But when their execution is off at all, they lack the team speed to make up for it. So you get games where the execution looks great and they can hang with anyone and you get games where the execution is off which exposes their lack of team speed.

A coach could make up for the foot speed issues by implementing a different style of play but Sullivan is stuck in 2015 thinking it's the same Pens team it has ever been.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My theory is that this team - when executing - is still pretty solid and can compete with anyone.

But when their execution is off at all, they lack the team speed to make up for it. So you get games where the execution looks great and they can hang with anyone and you get games where the execution is off which exposes their lack of team speed.

A coach could make up for the foot speed issues by implementing a different style of play but Sullivan is stuck in 2015 thinking it's the same Pens team it has ever been.
I simply do not see how the assistant coaches make it through the off-season. Reirden is offensively inept and the PP is becoming a legendary joke. But the defensive system is just as bad. When teams are coming in on the rush and getting to a quick cycle, you can watch five Penguins players staring at the puck and puck handler while the 4 other players move into a position to score. We lose so f***ing many guys in the cycle that it's comical.

There's countless times where players in the d-zone watch a pass, turn their head, and are like "OH SHIT! Another player! Fuuuuuuuuuuuu!" as they watch them score with ease.

So yeah, when you don't have the foot speed, your system should make up for it. When you don't have the system set up, your foot speed should make up for it. When you have neither, you're always going to be caught with your pants down.

That said, I find it nearly inconceivable how frequently I watch 5 NHL players, who by all counts are better hockey players than me, get caught staring at the puck and the puck holder. I mean, that's Squirt and Peewee-level shit right there. I love being center in the D-zone when I don't have the puck, especially down low. I just say "where's the motherf***er that's getting a cross-check int the back in front of the net!?" I seek it out. Pittsburgh Penguins players? Not so much.

Reactions: Pancakes

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
You could actually see Letang give up on the OT goal. They have quit on Sullivan.

Obviously they have quit.

But "on Sullivan"?

Highly doubtful. They LOVE Sullivan and would be distraught if he were ever fired. They know that their lousy play isn't going to get him fired, so they can be as unprofessional as they want to be.

If any one person is to blame for the tantrum being thrown by these emotionally frail players, it's the GM -- the one who dealt away their beloved teammates Jake Guentzel and Chad Ruhwedel. Just because Ruhwedel sucks as a player doesn't mean he isn't every bit as much a "bro" in the room as anyone else on the team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don't see any issues with this team's footspeed.

The Avalanche didn't beat us because of their footspeed outside of the tying goal from MacKinnon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad