Confirmed with Link: Pens acquire Daniel Winnik for Sill, 2016 2nd, 2015 4th (Leafs retain $650k salary)

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Yea lets just keep all of our draft picks and pray they turn out serviceable in 5+ years instead of getting quality players now.

Bennett was drafted in the 1st round in 2010 and has yet to make an impact.

I'll gladly trade a first for Perron and other picks for guys that are proven NHL players right now.

Hold onto picks when sid and geno are in a decline and our window for cups is closed.

Team First

Jul 18, 2010
It's really amusing to watch all the reaction to this trade from your side. Let me put you at ease, Winnik will be a warrior and could be your X factor. He impressed me all season. I am glad he is going to someone with a solid chance. To top it off , your Eastern opponents did NOT get him. Git er' done Pens.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
It's really amusing to watch all the reaction to this trade from your side. Let me put you at ease, Winnik will be a warrior and could be your X factor. He impressed me all season. I am glad he is going to someone with a solid chance. To top it off , your Eastern opponents did NOT get him. Git er' done Pens.

Not worried about Winnik at all. He's great, we know he'll be great. It's just that we gave up a 2nd and a 4th which is typically worth more than a good bottom 6 winger.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013

we've been burned before :laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I originally heard a 2015 2nd, which I felt was too much. A 2016 2nd, and salary retention is big. Them retaining salary gives us some more wiggle room.

I do believe that JR will be able to recuperate some picks by trading guys who we do not need on this roster, while Winnik brings a much needed dimension to the bottom 6.

I like the move.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I didn't want to trade a 2nd for Winnik but...

1. Toronto was willing to take the 2nd from the 2016 stash of picks. Allowing us to keep our 2015 2nd and add at least one decent prospect from this upcoming draft to the pipeline (Assuming JR doesn't trade the 2015 2nd before the deadline). :laugh:

2. Toronto was willing to eat the maximum amount of Winnik's cap hit (50%). Allowing us to still have flexibility if another move presents itself.

3. Toronto also was willing to take Sill. That breaks up Sadams, gets rid of a contract and a little cap space to also allow us some more flexibility if something comes available before the deadline.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was one who was extremely fearful of making JR our GM. Posters here who I respect hated the move, and the Cane's board had horror stories about his overpaying.

I say that having put those fears to rest for me some time ago. Again, I was fearful entering this deadline to a degree and wanted us to do nothing. Did he overpay on this signing? Yeah, maybe a little. But the overreaction about losing a second and fourth is amazing among some. If this is his last move I will be a happy camper. And he owned the past summer with his signings. Most have worked out in our favor given how little in cap space that they have.

It is MJ who I am still not sold on. JR has earned some trust.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I still think (hope) that JR will get rid of Sutter, Kunitz and Scuderi. That should bring back a couple of picks pretty easily, especially if we're alright with not taking roster players back.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I still think (hope) that JR will get rid of Sutter, Kunitz and Scuderi. That should bring back a couple of picks pretty easily, especially if we're alright with not taking roster players back.

Like 66-29-33 mentioned in the Roster Building thread, instead of acquiring picks for some of them, we can use them as an upgrade. The idea was Sutter, Bennett and a 2nd for Martin Hanzal, sounds like a good deal to me. As for Kunitz and Scuderi, I don't know what kind of picks they would return, I guess they could be worth more than we think. If TK can go for a 2nd, why can't Kunitz?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Like 66-29-33 mentioned in the Roster Building thread, instead of acquiring picks for some of them, we can use them as an upgrade. The idea was Sutter, Bennett and a 2nd for Martin Hanzal, sounds like a good deal to me. As for Kunitz and Scuderi, I don't know what kind of picks they would return, I guess they could be worth more than we think. If TK can go for a 2nd, why can't Kunitz?

I'd love Hanzal on this team. A line of with Sundqvist and Hanzal would be fantastic for us moving forward. I'd do that trade in a second.

And you're right about TK. I think Kunitz could get us at least a 2nd, maybe a late first, simply on his statline alone. Hell, that's all anyone ever looks at with regard to Kunitz anyway. :naughty:

dbeats

Aint No Stoppin Us
Jan 16, 2013
Rochester, NY
I don't think you guys realize the statistical chance of people making it to the NHL and making a difference past the first round. According to TSN, 4th rounders have a 20% chance to play over 50 games. Even the 2nd rd pick only has a 45% chance. And even when they do, almost all of them take 3-4 years to get there. In that time, you can procure that roster spot via trade, FA, or another player selected in that draft (the least likely option).

Trading a 45% and 20% chance of somethings (could be zach sills, could be Kris Letangs) 3-4 years from now for a definite NHL player that helps at scoring depth, PK, size, and removes Sill for Winnik... is almost a no-brainer to me.These are things we need desperately. One of the guys on the broadcast today said he instantly becomes the pens best PK, which is obviously extra important in the playoffs.

The idea of a prospect is admittedly exciting, but the math doesn't support this idea that we have bled our future dry by moving some picks.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

Did you just copy someone's old post about Morrow and substitute Winnik?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think you guys realize the statistical chance of people making it to the NHL and making a difference past the first round. According to TSN, 4th rounders have a 20% chance to play over 50 games. Even the 2nd rd pick only has a 45% chance. And even when they do, almost all of them take 3-4 years to get there. In that time, you can procure that roster spot via trade, FA, or another player selected in that draft (the least likely option).

Trading a 45% and 20% chance of somethings (could be zach sills, could be Kris Letangs) 3-4 years from now for a definite NHL player that helps at scoring depth, PK, size, and removes Sill for Winnik... is almost a no-brainer to me.These are things we need desperately. One of the guys on the broadcast today said he instantly becomes the pens best PK, which is obviously extra important in the playoffs.

The idea of a prospect is admittedly exciting, but the math doesn't support this idea that we have bled our future dry by moving some picks.

It's not this trade that we have a problem with, but when you have a trend of doing it EVERY SEASON and not being willing to trade any of your UFA's for picks, it hurts your ability to compete over time. The Pens are trading picks for rentals every year while other playoff teams do a minor move here or there or even stand pat.

Chicago is a good example to compare us to since they have similar windows as contenders. They have a better forward prospect pool because 1.) they draft and develop forwards better and 2.) they didn't trade near the amount of picks we did.

I am happy the Pens got Winnik, but at some point this team needs to stop pissing away picks.

dbeats

Aint No Stoppin Us
Jan 16, 2013
Rochester, NY
It's not this trade that we have a problem with, but when you have a trend of doing it EVERY SEASON and not being willing to trade any of your UFA's for picks, it hurts your ability to compete over time. The Pens are trading picks for rentals every year while other playoff teams do a minor move here or there or even stand pat.

Chicago is a good example to compare us to since they have similar windows as contenders. They have a better forward prospect pool because 1.) they draft and develop forwards better and 2.) they didn't trade near the amount of picks we did.

I am happy the Pens got Winnik, but at some point this team needs to stop pissing away picks.

That post was in response to the guy ******** on GMJR for this deal, not the idea of trading away all of them like Shero did.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Did you just copy someone's old post about Morrow and substitute Winnik?

Morrow was a 35 year old, over-the-hill by nearly a decade, slow as Hell disaster made by a GM with a fetish for veterans. Winnik is still a very effective bottom six guy with size, defensive ability, and he's just turning 30.

What about the two of them makes you draw a connection? :laugh:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

I have no problem moving 3rd and 4th round picks if they're add-ins for deals. I'd obviously very much rather keep 1st and 2nd round picks, but if we're getting a quality player back, so be it. Ideally, and I think we're all hoping this, Winnik re-signs and becomes a fixture in our bottom six for the next few years. The price wasn't a steal, but we likely had to add in order for Toronto to retain salary and to take Sill off our hands.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
honestly who cares about picks right now. crosby and malkin have around 4-5 more years left of solid hockey. put all your eggs in one basket and hope for the best. times like these when you have two of the best players in hockey dont come around often (basically never; pens lucked out and it happened to them twice so far) lol

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
honestly who cares about picks right now. crosby and malkin have around 4-5 more years left of solid hockey. put all your eggs in one basket and hope for the best. times like these when you have two of the best players in hockey dont come around often (basically never; pens lucked out and it happened to them twice so far) lol

Four or Five more prime years for Sid and Geno is probably a better way to put it. They can certainly play at a fairly high level and win beyond that. The draft is important though. It will take more and more talent around them to win as they get older and we'll need to draft well to get that talent. Detroit is a great example of this. They've drafted great over the years and have built a strong team around a 34 year old Zetterberg and a 36 year old Datsyuk. The Pens will need to do the same for Sid and Geno to maintain success as they get older like that.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I do believe that JR will be able to recuperate some picks by trading guys who we do not need on this roster, while Winnik brings a much needed dimension to the bottom 6.

What gives you hope or makes you think JR will get back picks with current roster players? Do you really think Scuderi is going anywhere?

BADoglick

Jun 12, 2012
If we can resign him, the draft pick is worth it. He is one of the best penalty killers in the league, he had a plus 15 on freaking Toronto, he pushes Zach Sill and maybe Craig Adams out of the lineup...what's not to like, except maybe the price?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd like to re-sign Winnik too but he's always been a guy that chases the money. I'm not getting my hopes up for him to be back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad