Post-Game Talk: Pens 6, Oilers 5 - Connor May Be McJesus, But Sid is a Hockey God

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Seen a lot of stuff in my life but...

WfGKH2t.gif

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
+++++ Letang/Dumo/Riikola/Oleksiak: Awesome game by all 4. Dumo made some mistakes, but he was still making that Letang/Dumo pairing a top pairing in the league. Letang is just on MVP levels right now.

+++++ Geno/Kessel/Hags: Okay.. some defensive blunders but honestly they were a good line. They got a lot of pressure and they keep getting points.

+++++ Sid: That goal... JESUS.

+ Murray: Big saves but that McDavid softy. I still think he deserves a plus.

+ Horny/Dad/Sheahan: Get that line together and they do big things. I like it.

------- Johnson and Maatta: I'm tired of talking about it. Have at it. They sucked.

- Guentzel/Rust/Brassard: Man disappointing starts for these guys. Just ghosts out there. Jake started slow last year, grinded out after he was moved from Sid's line, and found his groove. I'm giving him a pass. Rust/Brassard are ghosts. It's really disappointing. I'll give it 40 games to make a call on Brass/Rust, but I'm definitely disappointed.

------ Sprong/Simon: If you get 3 minutes in a game, you have to make it worth while. They are hurting the team in limited minutes, so they aren't going to get more.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I can't comment too much on the game because I missed most of it due to my own beer league but I noticed people denigrating Brassard. I have a few comments on that:

1) Give him time. It's early. A guy like Brassard is a .5ppg player. He's not gonna light it up immediately necessarily. Look at Hornqvist. He was dead, and now he's back at his career rate. One big game from Brass gets him a similar result. So have patience.

2) Our entire team is lackadaisical at times. You don't think that rubs off on new additions? Brassard on Ottawa is busting his ass because he has to. Brassard on Pittsburgh is watching guys go through the motions at times and that type of play seeps into your own as well. It just does. I can't explain why this happens, but I can tell you from my own experience playing hockey for 20+ years that you feed off what your teammates are doing. This is why it's on the leadership group from coaches to captains to set the right example. Because if they do (as in Toronto with Sid's defensive wizardry) the rest of the team follows. If the top guys put on their work boots, Brass and everyone else will follow. If they don't....you might see isolated good performances like Letangs, but you'll just as many guys feeding off the negative example their teammates are sending. This is why you see teams get hot as a team and go into teamwide funks. Guys feed off each other. I can't explain why it happens, but it does.

Reactions: Dovahkiin

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pens 30+ year old forwards are going to be tired at the end of the season if Sully keeps rolling 10 forwards the whole game.

I really hate it for that exact reason....which coincides with how many minutes Sid and G to a lesser extent play...
If Sully doesn’t trust Simon and Sprong, then play two other guys but don’t roll only three lines...

Reactions: wizmet12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad