Post-Game Talk: Pens 6, Ducks 2: Pens Win, Kunitz Continues to Elevate Sid

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Here's the thing, and I don't think a lot of people realized it... the Penguins were 3rd in shots per game at the time of Johnston's firing. They were basically already at the top of the league, and still are.

No idea what the stats are, but it seems like even though the shots are still up there, the shot quality has greatly increased.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
No idea what the stats are, but it seems like even though the shots are still up there, the shot quality has greatly increased.

Under Johnston they took tons of outside harmless shots with the defenders and goalkeeper set. Sullivan has more legit scoring chances plus id bet more rebounds as well

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Here's the thing, and I don't think a lot of people realized it... the Penguins were 3rd in shots per game at the time of Johnston's firing. They were basically already at the top of the league, and still are.

Yeah...that plays exactly into what the quote said. They were basically just shooting just to get a high shot volume, which is what Johnston preached. Their SH% was low, but the shots weren't high quality.

So while they were 3rd in shots, it didn't mean much.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
These Kunitz thread titles and bashing are getting a bit old, he's been at least ok lately.

2vb2yix.jpg

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
I'm not sure about the lower but there seem to be mostly actual fans and families in the upper areas.

On one hand, they bought the tickets they have the right leave when they want. On the other hand, I have to right to call them **** fans. It wasn't even 10pm yet.

Imagine being a player and turning in that kind of performance, only to look up and see a half empty arena. It's embarrassing to the fans and to the city.

I've always wondered if this was more of a Pittsburgh thing, or if it happens in other cities as well. I was at Game 4 of the 09 Final and people were heading up the stairs with like 2 min left (IN THE FREAKIN' FINAL).

Better Strategy of Avoiding Traffic: Stay till the end of the game, relish in the experience of being there (I make it to maybe 1 games a year), and by the time you wander out of the stadium, all the yokels will be long gone. :laugh:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Yeah...that plays exactly into what the quote said. They were basically just shooting just to get a high shot volume, which is what Johnston preached. Their SH% was low, but the shots weren't high quality.

So while they were 3rd in shots, it didn't mean much.

Using war-on-ice.com's metrics, the Pens averaged 28.4 scoring chances for per 60 minutes under Johnston and are averaging 32.8 under Sullivan -- so they are recording more scoring chances. However, much like shots, they were already near the top of the league sitting 4th under Johnston and 2nd under Sullivan. As for high dancer scoring changes, they averaged 11.6 per 60 minutes under Johnston (7th) and are averaging 13.5 per 60 under Sullivan (4th).

So really, there hasn't been a large change in shots or scoring chances for. Even their shooting percentage hasn't changed that drastically, going from 7.70% (27th) under Johnston to 8.60% (17th) under Sullivan.

They've definitely been more productive offensively, though. They've averaged 2.97 GF/60 (7th) under Sullivan compared to 2.33 under Johnston (26th). But they're also seen almost an equal decline in goal prevention, going from 2.29 GA/60 (8th) under Johnston to 2.76 GA/60 (23rd) under Sullivan.

To break it down even further, the Pens have been like a whole new team since the time they traded for Hagelin (and, shortly thereafter, took Cole out of the lineup). From the time Sullivan took over until they traded Perron, the Pens were scoring 2.50 GF/60 while giving up 2.61 GA/60. This also roughly coincides with the last time Cole played. Since Jan 22 (Cole's last game was Jan 21), the Pens have been scoring 4.1 goals per 60 (3rd) but are also giving up 3.2 goals per 60 (24th).

Now, I'm not about to argue that the Pens don't look better under Sullivan because they do. They look much more engaged. Crosby looks rejuvenated. But from what I'm seeing in the numbers and circumstances, it would seem that the roster moves they made may have had a bigger impact than the coaching change.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Add Daley for Scuderi into the mix also. Sid is no longer constantly playing 4 v 5, which is also a Sullivan v. Johnston contrast. Plus, we now have a D who can do more offensively than pass cross-ice in the D zone to his partner (although Sully clearly wasn't happy with Daley's give-away after the second Duck goal the other night).

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Using war-on-ice.com's metrics, the Pens averaged 28.4 scoring chances for per 60 minutes under Johnston and are averaging 32.8 under Sullivan -- so they are recording more scoring chances. However, much like shots, they were already near the top of the league sitting 4th under Johnston and 2nd under Sullivan. As for high dancer scoring changes, they averaged 11.6 per 60 minutes under Johnston (7th) and are averaging 13.5 per 60 under Sullivan (4th).

So really, there hasn't been a large change in shots or scoring chances for. Even their shooting percentage hasn't changed that drastically, going from 7.70% (27th) under Johnston to 8.60% (17th) under Sullivan.

They've definitely been more productive offensively, though. They've averaged 2.97 GF/60 (7th) under Sullivan compared to 2.33 under Johnston (26th). But they're also seen almost an equal decline in goal prevention, going from 2.29 GA/60 (8th) under Johnston to 2.76 GA/60 (23rd) under Sullivan.

To break it down even further, the Pens have been like a whole new team since the time they traded for Hagelin (and, shortly thereafter, took Cole out of the lineup). From the time Sullivan took over until they traded Perron, the Pens were scoring 2.50 GF/60 while giving up 2.61 GA/60. This also roughly coincides with the last time Cole played. Since Jan 22 (Cole's last game was Jan 21), the Pens have been scoring 4.1 goals per 60 (3rd) but are also giving up 3.2 goals per 60 (24th).

Now, I'm not about to argue that the Pens don't look better under Sullivan because they do. They look much more engaged. Crosby looks rejuvenated. But from what I'm seeing in the numbers and circumstances, it would seem that the roster moves they made may have had a bigger impact than the coaching change.

Or maybe "scoring chances" and "high-danger chances" are extremely subjective and making conclusions based on faulty data isn't the best practice?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I've always wondered if this was more of a Pittsburgh thing, or if it happens in other cities as well. I was at Game 4 of the 09 Final and people were heading up the stairs with like 2 min left (IN THE FREAKIN' FINAL).

Better Strategy of Avoiding Traffic: Stay till the end of the game, relish in the experience of being there (I make it to maybe 1 games a year), and by the time you wander out of the stadium, all the yokels will be long gone. :laugh:
In the finals? :laugh:

I do wonder if it is a habit passed down from the previous generations in the city. I remember the traffic being worse back in the day, and the games are shorter and start earlier now, so the work excuse loses weight.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
People show up late and leave early now, as opposed to just the latter before. It's a social event now for 80-90% of people that go. Take a walk in the middle of the period some time. I had to go down to the gate because my old man was late one game recently. There's hundreds and hundreds of people milling around in the concourse.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The leaving early thing happens everywhere. It's been a running joke about LA fans as long as LA has had teams.

It even happens in Anaheim, which always makes me chuckle considering the traffic around the arena is light (compared to every other arena I've been to, at least) and the freeways are jammed regardless of when you leave.

People show up late and leave early now, as opposed to just the latter before. It's a social event now for 80-90% of people that go. Take a walk in the middle of the period some time. I had to go down to the gate because my old man was late one game recently. There's hundreds and hundreds of people milling around in the concourse.

Most definitely...that kind of stuff drives me crazy.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad