Post-Game Talk: Pens 5 - Sabres 0...well that was expected.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also... the old Pens board throwback conversations had me rolling.

I'm still waiting for my Malkinhorse from Koltsovgirl.

penguins2946*

Also: Certain players (Bylsma-favored :nod:) who have high hits and blocked shots stats do, in fact, suck. They only get these stats because they are always pinned in their own zone and do not play a style which facilitates puck possession.

You are implying that Despres sucks here, because he's leading the Pens in hits and is 4th in blocked shots, which is ludicrous. Getting a lot of hits and blocking a lot of shots doesn't mean they suck, that's ridiculous.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It's maybe cap related, no? Isn't there a daily element to calculating cap space? Maybe I'm mixing something up.

IIRC, NHL pay is based on how many team games he is up for. NHL cap space is calculated based on actual days. Hence, sending him down for a couple of days saves the team some cap space, but doesn't necessarily cost Megna any pay.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
IIRC, NHL pay is based on how many team games he is up for. NHL cap space is calculated based on actual days. Hence, sending him down for a couple of days saves the team some cap space, but doesn't necessarily cost Megna any pay.

Cheers, that is what I thought. Botterill is doing his thing.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
You are implying that Despres sucks here, because he's leading the Pens in hits and is 4th in blocked shots, which is ludicrous. Getting a lot of hits and blocking a lot of shots doesn't mean they suck, that's ridiculous.

I think he's implying that they can be misleading because some players (cough, Orpik, cough) get them by not having the puck. Despres is good at retrieving the puck and is accumulating his stats honestly. If he played some PK, his blocked shots would go up (generally, you need more blocks on the PK).

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Fun game, and I remember quite vividly when we looked like the Sabres did last night (several times in our history, really... Steigy, you were there.. have some respect).

No minuses after this one. A big + to the Buffalo fans in their GDT, probably the best one I've read all year.

If Fleury continues to be calm, who knows what this team can accomplish. A few small trades and a little bit of being healthy... who knows. :handclap:

penguins2946*

Despres was Bylsma-favored?

You were saying that someone who gets a lot of hits and block shots suck because that means they never have the puck. I couldn't tell if you were just talking in general or if you were talking specifically about the Glasses and Adams of the world.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
You were saying that someone who gets a lot of hits and block shots suck because that means they never have the puck. I couldn't tell if you were just talking in general or if you were talking specifically about the Glasses and Adams of the world.

He was talking about Adams, Glass and Orpik I believe

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Cheers, that is what I thought. Botterill is doing his thing.

If the player made 492K in the NHL (minimum is actually 500 but 492 makes for easier math) vs 80K in the AHL, the difference would work out to 5K per game they are recalled, which would be the only reason no one complains about it.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I could watch that highlight of Sid accelerating into the puck while kicking it up to his stick all day.

I wonder what would have happened if he would have become a soccer player.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I could watch that highlight of Sid accelerating into the puck while kicking it up to his stick all day.

I wonder what would have happened if he would have become a soccer player.

He's one of those guys who would be good at anything involving feet/hands/co-ordination.

Just found this out:

TmFOJ5p.png

Michael8771*

Yeah early on in the first was a feeling out process w/ slop play. I remember Errey saying the pace was incredible and I wanted to throw up.

I thought once Sid's line had that one shift and he tripped the goalie we took off.

2 times we agree in one night, Michael. This is a record.
Indeed it is.:)

Michael8771*

He's one of those guys who would be good at anything involving feet/hands/co-ordination.

Just found this out:

TmFOJ5p.png
Greiss is due for a start, seems like that's a good opportunity to get him in. Although MAF is on a pretty remarkable shutout streak.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Greiss is due for a start, seems like that's a good opportunity to get him in. Although MAF is on a pretty remarkable shutout streak.

Always go with the hot hand i suppose.
If MAF puts up stellar numbers against Minny, i think we can finally say the DB era is dead.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

I figure he'll get a start either Thursday against the Jets or Saturday against the Sabres. The schedule gets back-to-back heavy after this week, so he'll start seeing more action.

Pens' Back-to-Backs
Oct 22 vs PHI / Oct 23 @ DET
Nov 14 @ TOR / Nov 15 vs NYR
Nov 21 vs NYI / Nov 22 @ NYI
Nov 28 vs CAR / Nov 29 @ CAR
Dec 12 vs CGY / Dec 13 @ CBJ
Dec 22 @ FLA / Dec 23 @ TBL
Jan 2 vs TBL / Jan 3 vs MTL
Jan 20 @ PHI / Jan 21 vs CHI
Jan 27 vs WPG / Jan 28 @ WSH
Feb 6 @ CGY / Feb 7 @ VAN
Feb 11 vs DET / Feb 12 @ OTT
Feb 21 @ STL / Feb 22 vs FLA
Mar 6 @ ANA / Mar 7 @ LAK
Mar 14 vs BOS / Mar 25 vs DET
Mar 28 vs PHX / Mar 29 vs SJS
Apr 4 @ CBJ / Apr 5 @ PHI
Apr 10 vs NYI / Apr 11 @ BUF

If the starts go as Johnston plans, those will account for 17 of Greiss's 22 starts. Add one probably 1 this week, and that leaves 4 more starts.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I figure he'll get a start either Thursday against the Jets or Saturday against the Sabres. The schedule gets back-to-back heavy after this week, so he'll start seeing more action.

Pens' Back-to-Backs
Oct 22 vs PHI / Oct 23 @ DET
Nov 14 @ TOR / Nov 15 vs NYR
Nov 21 vs NYI / Nov 22 @ NYI
Nov 28 vs CAR / Nov 29 @ CAR
Dec 12 vs CGY / Dec 13 @ CBJ
Dec 22 @ FLA / Dec 23 @ TBL
Jan 2 vs TBL / Jan 3 vs MTL
Jan 20 @ PHI / Jan 21 vs CHI
Jan 27 vs WPG / Jan 28 @ WSH
Feb 6 @ CGY / Feb 7 @ VAN
Feb 11 vs DET / Feb 12 @ OTT
Feb 21 @ STL / Feb 22 vs FLA
Mar 6 @ ANA / Mar 7 @ LAK
Mar 14 vs BOS / Mar 25 vs DET
Mar 28 vs PHX / Mar 29 vs SJS
Apr 4 @ CBJ / Apr 5 @ PHI
Apr 10 vs NYI / Apr 11 @ BUF

If the starts go as Johnston plans, those will account for 17 of Greiss's 22 starts. Add one probably 1 this week, and that leaves 4 more starts.

Can't believe we have no home and aways with the Flyers.

The Islanders is a good one, (I have both GDT's) but the only other is the Cans right after mine. Terrible. No matter what, they need to get that right every single season whether one of the teams is bad or not. Our, (and one of the leagues) biggest rivalries.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
IIRC We are contractually obligated to lose to the Wild in a boring and embarrassing way, or at least that is how it seemed too often the past few years... :shakehead

The curse of Lemaire is hard to break. At least the Wild scored on the PP last night, so we aren't going in with a long streak on the PK with them on a long drought on the PP.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rewatching some of this game today, the shift prior to Crosby tripping Enroth, Enroth gives him a whack across the legs as he's coming around the net. So I guess it wasn't as random as it seemed at the time.

Also, Enroth slashed Downie later on and accidentally nailed Myers with his blocker*. I'd imagine he's pretty frustrated by what's going on in front of him.

*maybe not an accident

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The curse of Lemaire is hard to break. At least the Wild scored on the PP last night, so we aren't going in with a long streak on the PK with them on a long drought on the PP.

I remember the game we lost on a Zigomanis (I think) faceoff win that went in our own net. Weird games for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad