Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Rangers 0: Murray Wins Despite Malkin Screwing Up Team Chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Kunitz running over the net was the highlight of the game. Just kinda something you expect from him at this point in his career.

What a performance though. I think even if Fleury is healthy, you stick with MM until he falters. Kid is legit.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Uher's season has been done for awhile, he had shoulder surgery.

Ah my bad. Anyway, you get the point. Zlobin should not be on the radar for an NHL spot THIS playoffs. Could he make a splash in training camp next year? I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Doesn't mean that either Zlobin or Dea can't do the same. Not pegging them for top 6 duty, just saying that given the Kuhnhackl situation, we best not be labeling anyone a bust just yet. Not to mention he was 7th round pick so...not sure if it's even possible to label him "bust" really.

Glowing review compared to what Talbot got via Geno. :laugh:

What, "little bit bad hands," and "only score empty net" was not considered a glowing review?! :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
What a performance though. I think even if Fleury is healthy, you stick with MM until he falters. Kid is legit.

Indeed. If he displays this calmness and makes the saves, absolutely. They know have the luxury of bring Fleury back slowly.

One thing that is in the back of my mind is Varlamov in 2009 with Washington. Hot goalie that backstopped the Caps to Game 7 against us...then he fell apart...instantly. Not saying it will happen to MM but...it's just cautious optimism at this point for me.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The following should be in the lineup over Zlobin:

Sundqvist
Simon
Sprong
Uher
Jeffrey
and probably a few more

It didn't strike a nerve, it just doesn't make any sense. Is he even playing for WBS in the playoffs?

Sundqvist would already be playing, and after that they are pretty much up in the air. Do they want to take away from WBS who are needed down there? It's about how disruptive they want to be what could be just a game or three.

The last part I don't even know.

In the end, we don't know who would be called up, and that list is also just a preference.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kunitz:
pissed_off_house_of_cards.gif

And they'd still go with Kunitz because, he's got all the experience!
146134277548691%201_zpsibv0kdrk.gif

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I say if we aren't playing Pouliot/Sundqvist they should go help WBS. They would both be huge help, they are already up 2-0 and need 1 more game to win the series.

silentom

Apr 22, 2016
The Commonwealth
I say if we aren't playing Pouliot/Sundqvist they should go help WBS. They would both be huge help, they are already up 2-0 and need 1 more game to win the series.

You never when the next injury will hit, though. If we make a deep push into the playoffs, I guarantee we will need them around.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Who's writing him off? I said he hasn't proven anything yet and he clearly isn't as skilled.

Go and pom pom Wilson if you like. I really don't give a ****.

He doesn't pass my eye test. If you don't like it thats your problem.

I'm not pom poming anybody. Wilson got a brief audition on line 1, scored a few then got hurt. Sheary got a brief audition on line 1, scored a few and we're at now. There's no conclusions to be drawn at this point, beyond that both guys did promising work as rookies in short sample sizes.

I don't particularly see what's so threating about the concept of hedging your bets in camp between two players with similar amateur and pro track records. Or even between four players, if you add Sprong and Simon to the mix.

Sheary very well might end up better and a better fit than all of these, but calling it right now is way, way premature. Citing "stickhandling" is the sort of thing people do, then can't wrap their heads around Kevin Hayes scoring as many goals from the third line in two years as Granlund has from the first in four years.

I find it funny People hated Gibbons but like Sheary. In any case, I like the midget, kid has some serious talent and balls.

Brian Gibbons was bad. Speed + nothing.

Even when Sheary was struggling with the size of the opposition for most of the season, he was still deflecting pucks, getting open, finding the open man and things of that nature--none of which Gibbons did. And at the point in his rookie season in which a lot of us started hating the idea of Gibbons in the lineup (which would be at the beginning of March), Sheary was already showing adjustments that Gibbons never showed.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sheary couldn't separate himself from defenders off the rush earlier in the season. Guys would just reach around him and poke the puck away.

Now? He's blowing by the opposition, beating guys one on one pretty routinely and is making it pretty much impossible to knock him off the puck in the corners.

I still like Wilson as the internal replacement for Sid's LW. I think he really gets how to play with Sid.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sundqvist would already be playing, and after that they are pretty much up in the air. Do they want to take away from WBS who are needed down there? It's about how disruptive they want to be what could be just a game or three.

The last part I don't even know.

In the end, we don't know who would be called up, and that list is also just a preference.

Zlobin is not as good as you seem to think he is. Honestly, I'm trying to be polite, but he is a LONG SHOT to play in the NHL playoffs this year. Like, the WBS Pens might need to be in a bus crash where 10 of their players have broken legs and the Pens have 2-4 injuries at forward.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Zlobin is not as good as you seem to think he is. Honestly, I'm trying to be polite, but he is a LONG SHOT to play in the NHL playoffs this year. Like, the WBS Pens might need to be in a bus crash where 10 of their players have broken legs and the Pens have 2-4 injuries at forward.

I'm not sure if I ever implied it, but I doubt any pro-Zlobin guys believe he would ever be needed in the playoffs.

I believe this is more of a "next year's Rust/Sheary/Wilson/etc" type guy. Just someone who could all of a sudden break out if given the chance like Kuhnhackl did.

I wrote Kuhnhackl off and believed he was done for when he spent time in the ECHL. So while I recognize that it is most definitely a long shot for Zlobin to be an NHL player, I am not so quick to write him off like I did Kuhnhackl.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not sure if I ever implied it, but I doubt any pro-Zlobin guys believe he would ever be needed in the playoffs.

I believe this is more of a "next year's Rust/Sheary/Wilson/etc" type guy. Just someone who could all of a sudden break out if given the chance like Kuhnhackl did.

I wrote Kuhnhackl off and believed he was done for when he spent time in the ECHL. So while I recognize that it is most definitely a long shot for Zlobin to be an NHL player, I am not so quick to write him off like I did Kuhnhackl.

Nah Seal you are good. I was responding to UM. He said he wanted Zlobin in the playoffs this year if there were injuries.

Zlobin is a long shot and an RFA in the summer. IF the Pens qualify him, he needs to solidify himself in the AHL next year before having a chance at a call up. That doesn't mean he can't make the NHL, but with the number of former and current AHL'ers ahead of him (plus promising guys turning pro like Guentzel, Blueger), he has a tough hill to climb in this organization.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Kunitz running over the net was the highlight of the game. Just kinda something you expect from him at this point in his career.

My friend had a dog that got old and just started bumping into things. That's how I see Kunitz right now, and it's a shame they can't just bring him to the vet to be put down.

Career wise.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The one thing that is going to be a deciding factor for Sheary is that it looks like Sid is meshing well with him. If that happens, Sheary's ticket is punched.

Matt Murray has the potential to be an absolutely demoralizing goaltender - one teams play against and they just get so frustrated because he gobbles pucks up and gives nothing back. Nothing comes out, he's rarely out of position, and he is so big and athletic that he makes it look easy. He shows more confidence and poise in net at 21 years old than Fleury ever has, IMO. We'll see how long he can ride the wave, but if this is not a wave and this is what we got in Murray, JR has to look into dumping Fleury for futures, especially with an expansion draft coming. Trade players that cannot be protected for players that can be.

I think Hagelin has remained very quiet against the Rags this series, but his penalty killing has been fantastic. The Rangers defensemen make awful decisions when he's out there because they are petrified of him taking it to the house. Hagelin right now is a lot like Kunitz years ago - he may not show up on a score sheet, but his contributions can be witnessed if you pay attention.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The one thing that is going to be a deciding factor for Sheary is that it looks like Sid is meshing well with him. If that happens, Sheary's ticket is punched.

Matt Murray has the potential to be an absolutely demoralizing goaltender - one teams play against and they just get so frustrated because he gobbles pucks up and gives nothing back. Nothing comes out, he's rarely out of position, and he is so big and athletic that he makes it look easy. He shows more confidence and poise in net at 21 years old than Fleury ever has, IMO. We'll see how long he can ride the wave, but if this is not a wave and this is what we got in Murray, JR has to look into dumping Fleury for futures, especially with an expansion draft coming. Trade players that cannot be protected for players that can be.

I think Hagelin has remained very quiet against the Rags this series, but his penalty killing has been fantastic. The Rangers defensemen make awful decisions when he's out there because they are petrified of him taking it to the house. Hagelin right now is a lot like Kunitz years ago - he may not show up on a score sheet, but his contributions can be witnessed if you pay attention.

Matt Murray from the last two games is the Matt Murray I watched 15 or 20 times with WBS. I have no doubt he's an NHL quality starter. The only question in my mind is if he challenges for the Vezina someday.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yeah. For all the talk of the HBK line being quiet this series, I think they've played well despite not putting up numbers at ES.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Matt Murray from the last two games is the Matt Murray I watched 15 or 20 times with WBS. I have no doubt he's an NHL quality starter. The only question in my mind is if he challenges for the Vezina someday.

I sort of said this in the GDT last night - Murray steamrolled the AHL. He has proven ability. He has the look of one of those goaltenders that can get hot and become completely unbeatable like Lundqvist has been able to do in the past.

I think we have a gem. It's too early to tell, but from the last 2 years watching and following him, nothing I see is a flash in the pan. I primarily think that because nothing in his game is something that he cannot duplicate. He doesn't do splits across the ice like Fleury. He doesn't make crazy acrobatic saves like Hasek. He just lets the puck him him and he eats it up. When he's on his knees, he covers the whole net - which is something a goaltender has or they don't. He is a technician of the position. It's very clear to see.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah. For all the talk of the HBK line being quiet this series, I think they've played well despite not putting up numbers at ES.

I don't personally think Bonino is the right fit for that line, but he'll do for now. I'd like to see Matt Cullen tried with them, but he's sort of tied up making these younger guys feel comfortable and play to their strengths, it seems.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't personally think Bonino is the right fit for that line, but he'll do for now. I'd like to see Matt Cullen tried with them, but he's sort of tied up making these younger guys feel comfortable and play to their strengths, it seems.

Yup. Kuhn-Cullen-Rust really clicks.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I sort of said this in the GDT last night - Murray steamrolled the AHL. He has proven ability. He has the look of one of those goaltenders that can get hot and become completely unbeatable like Lundqvist has been able to do in the past.

I think we have a gem. It's too early to tell, but from the last 2 years watching and following him, nothing I see is a flash in the pan. I primarily think that because nothing in his game is something that he cannot duplicate. He doesn't do splits across the ice like Fleury. He doesn't make crazy acrobatic saves like Hasek. He just lets the puck him him and he eats it up. When he's on his knees, he covers the whole net - which is something a goaltender has or they don't. He is a technician of the position. It's very clear to see.

Totally agree. I've always been one of the bigger Fleury skeptics around here so it might just be confirmation bias, but I would take a hard look at moving MAF at the draft for futures or a defenceman in a similar price range.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Rusts wheels are insane. I'd love to see a skate off with some of these guys on this team right now. Rust would have to be in the top 3. He really flies to loose pucks.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Totally agree. I've always been one of the bigger Fleury skeptics around here so it might just be confirmation bias, but I would take a hard look at moving MAF at the draft for futures or a defenceman in a similar price range.

It all depends the rules of the expansion draft and how Murray plays. Fleury's NMC is moot to me because there's one way to get a goaltender like him to waive his NMC - you don't play him. Flower wants to play 60 games a year. If we cannot offer that to him, I could see him going to JR and saying, yeah...find me somewhere I can start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad