Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Habs 3 - The Atleast We're Better Than Montreal Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If we go out in the playoffs in round 1 or 2, I’d understand this argument.

We are coming of back to back Cups though. The Penguins best course may be to sleepwalk right now.
Kinda late in the year to be sleepwalking. We need to be fundamentally sound, make better decisions with the puck etc. We're three weeks away, it's time to shore things up a bit.

The one positive, no one can accuse us of peaking too early.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We are pretty much on track to finish how we did last year.

The only real concern we should have is goals against. Overall they are higher this season. We do have good stretches but we are currently in a pretty bad one.

3 and under is ok, we can win with it, it’ll be tough though.

2.7 and under is great, we’d be a big contender

2.5 and under is epic, we would pretty much win the cup.

This is our GA for the following:
Season - 3.0
2017 - 3.2
2018 - 2.8
Jan - 2.3
Feb - 2.9
March - 3.5

Last edited:

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Oddly enough the 4th line is showing more chemistry than the 1st and 3rd lines when Rust is with Crosby instead of Brassard.

They look good with 3 forwards with decent reach, ok speed, and moderate offensive skills. I like that line for some reason.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
To put it simply, I don't see our team beating either Boston or Tampa. They're just not good enough this year.

In fairness, we said that last year, especially when it was certain we'd be without Letang for the entire playoffs.

I'm not happy with how they've played much of this season, don't get me wrong. But, this group has also earned my benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sheary okay, but rust??? Quality top six winger who scores when it matters?? You're off your wagon. I think Rust is on his way to becoming part of the core.

I'm pretty sure that poster meant flip them on the roster (ie. put Sheary where Rust currently is playing and put Rust where Sheary is currently playing).

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
+Crosby's goal, after so many piss poor games, reminded us all why he's still the greatest in the world.
+Brassard is really settling in. I like how he creates offense off of the forecheck and backcheck rather than simply off the rush so many other scorers. It's awesome watching him pick a pocket and then turn the play the other way. Obviously no one is Hossa, but it reminds me of how he would do that.
+HGH as always
+Guentzel looking like last year's playoffs
+Oleksiak
-Every other defenseman

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
149902418682809_zpsnz0pzvwl.jpg

He was actually just right. He was the Tank Commander the Habs needed.

Your thread title is dead on. No one wants to be the Habs, not now and not for a long time. Great game for you guys, though.

Congrats.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think Sheary deserves that top 6 spot either though. If anything, I think you put Sheary with Sheahan and Jooris and hope that is better than Kuhn and Jooris there and enough of some "offensive acumen" to make that line work, then you put Rust with Brassard and Kessel.

With Sid? ZAR, hopefully he's healthy for the next game.

I know ZAR can play RW and so can Guentzel, so flipping either to the off wing is fine.

Guentzel, Crosby, Aston-Reese
Hagelin, Malkin, Hornqvist
Rust, Brassard, Kessel
Sheary, Sheahan, Jooris

Reactions: Still Apps

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
Kessel needs 1 goal to first 30goal season with Pens. I hope he scores at least one goal and reach it. And one point for his best point season in his career

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Crazy game. Seemed to have a lot of highs and lows. Was great to see Malkin get 2 points, he needs to get back to scoring so he can win some awards. Crosby's goal was insane. Brassard had a much needed goal and is looking much better. Its also nice to see Guentzel looking better after a slow start to the year. The defense is still all over the map. Something needs to change there, cause what is going on now is not working.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It'd be nice to see Jake finish with 50pts on the season, that kid has so much more potential than what he's done this year. I think a good off season of adding some muscle to that frame of his with the game he plays will be HUGE for him next season. Even if he can add 10lbs of muscle to that skinny frame, he'd be incredible.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
It'd be nice to see Jake finish with 50pts on the season, that kid has so much more potential than what he's done this year. I think a good off season of adding some muscle to that frame of his with the game he plays will be HUGE for him next season. Even if he can add 10lbs of muscle to that skinny frame, he'd be incredible.
Kids a rare breed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
All in all, I still think I'd rather they just kept all their assets and brought in Pleks. Brassard is great and all, but Kessel was working better with Sheahan than he is with Brassard. Now we're not getting anything out of Sheahan, the third line looks dysfunctional, and we have no one like Cole on D.

Sheahan has 4 points in the 11 games since Brassard got here. I'm not sure what more you want from a 4C.

Kessel has 9 ES points in the last 11 for a pace of .81. He was previously at a pace of .57. I'll give you that only 5 of those points came with Brassard on the ice but the situation is clearly working okay for Kessel and the chemistry is growing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sheahan has 4 points in the 11 games since Brassard got here. I'm not sure what more you want from a 4C.

Kessel has 9 ES points in the last 11 for a pace of .81. He was previously at a pace of .57. I'll give you that only 5 of those points came with Brassard on the ice but the situation is clearly working okay for Kessel and the chemistry is growing.

4 goals in 11 games since he was put on the 4th line and when you consider who he's had to carry on that 4th line is f***ing impressive as hell.

Sheahan would have better luck with two garbage cans on wheels than the two stone handed wingers he's had to play with.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Honestly, that was one of the most fun games Ive watched in a while from a pure fan standpoint. Lots of back and forth, amazing saves, possibly the goal of the year by Sid, and most importantly we won. Really just a great game.

Would love to see some tweaking on the lines that has been discussed ad nauseum, but at the same time if were not going to get the perfect ones, Sully needs to pick something and ride it out for a bit to get some chemistry building. Brassard-Kessel, Sid-anyone, Sheahan-injured guys...theres to many combos that need to start clicking and soon

Id also feel a lot better if one of these next few games the team just says, 'f*** it, lets play this one like a playoff game to test out that switch' and then goes back to coasting until the playoffs.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
There's still things to work on, but it was better than the other night.

I swear... all of Maatta's penalties have to be either hooking or holding a guy off the rush.

Reactions: ColePens

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
So Jake coming down the RW looks pretty good. Damn that was a great shot from him.

Over the past couple of weeks there has been some occasions where you can feel the team coming together. I realize it's the Habs, but it felt good to get a solid win.

Hags, Horny, Guentzel, Brass...All very good efforts last night. Even Jooris gave some energy to the team last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad