Post-Game Talk: Pens 5, Habs 3 - The Atleast We're Better Than Montreal Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
for about 2 weeks I was starting to believe that Letang had turned a corner and was back to being pre-injury Letang. it was nice while it lasted......

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
for about 2 weeks I was starting to believe that Letang had turned a corner and was back to being pre-injury Letang. it was nice while it lasted......

Schultz and Letang have to be much better to give this team a chance. Both have made such laughable mistakes recently. I don't get it.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Ever since that game in Florida the team has looked bad, even with some wins sprinkled in here and there.
And for the record, it's easy to look good vs a Dallas team in free fall at home...

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Hagein, for example, tried to make a high-risk play instead of simply moving the puck behind the net. They need to get in that mindset of when and when not to make certain plays. Sullivan has mentioned it before, and I'm sure he's going to bring it to their attention.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Sheahan has 4 points in the 11 games since Brassard got here. I'm not sure what more you want from a 4C.

Kessel has 9 ES points in the last 11 for a pace of .81. He was previously at a pace of .57. I'll give you that only 5 of those points came with Brassard on the ice but the situation is clearly working okay for Kessel and the chemistry is growing.

My main issues with the trade are that we sent out Cole, and now our PK is a mess, and we need a Cole, and he ended up going to our competitor for a 3rd round pick. Would you trade a 3rd round pick for Cole right now? I sure would. My second issue with it is the delta between what Brassard can give us at 3C / 2nd PP vs. what Sheahan could. Is that worth the package we sent out? It's no slam dunk at this point.

On balance, I'd be much better with the trade if we hadn't included Cole, which was absolutely foolish considering the opportunity in front of us this year. Trading him took us from a position of strength on the 3rd pairing to a weak 3rd pairing. You can't have a weak third pairing (and a weak PK) against Tampa or even Washington. It's going to hurt us.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What a f***ing goal by Sid. Even when he's sleep walking, he can still do shit like that. Amazing.

As far as the team, I'm kind of at the point that I don't care anymore. Just get to the playoffs. We've seen some flashes of the back-to-back champs, but we've seen a lazy play as well. I don't think we will find out which team they are until they get into the playoffs.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
What a ****ing goal by Sid. Even when he's sleep walking, he can still do **** like that. Amazing.

As far as the team, I'm kind of at the point that I don't care anymore. Just get to the playoffs. We've seen some flashes of the back-to-back champs, but we've seen a lazy play as well. I don't think we will find out which team they are until they get into the playoffs.

It’s been a hard season to get invested in as a fan, with all the back-to-backs and already coming off of so many important games the last two years. Probably a similar feeling amongst some of the players.

Reactions: pistolpete11

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hagein, for example, tried to make a high-risk play instead of simply moving the puck behind the net. They need to get in that mindset of when and when not to make certain plays. Sullivan has mentioned it before, and I'm sure he's going to bring it to their attention.

Yep. And i give him a pass because he's been so darn good. But i would like him to keep it simple. Hags/Horny keep it simple. Geno to be Geno.

Reactions: Andy99 and BHD

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s been a hard season to get invested in as a fan, with all the back-to-backs and already coming off of so many important games the last two years. Probably a similar feeling amongst some of the players.

Totally agree that this year has been hard to get invested in. The players are barely invested. The schedule was horrible. We will have no game for 4-5 days and then back to back, which is too much. No steady pace.

But can you believe we are almost in the playoffs again? Where the heck does time go?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Just as the ripple effect of losing Letang last year changed the mix. The trade of Cole also has changed the mix. He was the most flexible in that he could play and play well with Schultz, Oleksiak and probably Ruhwedel. The facts are GMJR underestimated his warrior worth with Sullivan's BS playing Hunwick over him. Recall it was Cole who was on the ice on the 5-3 last year in the cup final game. Not Olli, not Dumo and not Schultz. Yet he is Bylsmad out of here. Costly and stupid.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Personally I am just going to work on staying positive during games. That seems to help as not to stress about certain...players...that will go unnamed.

I am a little concerned about if the team has another level of intensity come playoff time, but there are some flashes of it here and there.

I don't think there is a game I could not be interested in though. So good or bad, I'll keep cheering them onward.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Totally agree that this year has been hard to get invested in. The players are barely invested. The schedule was horrible. We will have no game for 4-5 days and then back to back, which is too much. No steady pace.

But can you believe we are almost in the playoffs again? Where the heck does time go?
It's pretty crazy, I can remember 1991 and driving around in my car with the windows down yelling when I heard them winning the cup. A lifetime ago, but somehow seems like yesterday.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's pretty crazy, I can remember 1991 and driving around in my car with the windows down yelling when I heard them winning the cup. A lifetime ago, but somehow seems like yesterday.

I was... 5 or 6 but can remember the airport scene because my Dad worked for the airlines and i'll never forget that sea of people. And I can remember as a kid getting that little sign in the newspaper "3 for 3 in 93".

And now it's 2018. :laugh: Goodness.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I was... 5 or 6 but can remember the airport scene because my Dad worked for the airlines and i'll never forget that sea of people. And I can remember as a kid getting that little sign in the newspaper "3 for 3 in 93".

It is so fast. Not to get way off track, my youngest graduates college in May. Just a blur.

Reactions: ColePens

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.

I was 11. My dad had somehow got me into some bar in Myrtle Beach because that was the only place that had Sportsnet. That 8-0 shellacking was the best part of that whole trip.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
What a ****ing goal by Sid. Even when he's sleep walking, he can still do **** like that. Amazing.

ya. but if they can't flip the switch now....i'm starting to feel they might not be able to later.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
ya. but if they can't flip the switch now....i'm starting to feel they might not be able to later.
But are they trying to flip the switch now and failing? Or are they coasting until the playoffs and then will try and flip the switch? That's my point. We don't know and we most likely won't know until the playoffs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My main issues with the trade are that we sent out Cole, and now our PK is a mess, and we need a Cole, and he ended up going to our competitor for a 3rd round pick. Would you trade a 3rd round pick for Cole right now? I sure would. My second issue with it is the delta between what Brassard can give us at 3C / 2nd PP vs. what Sheahan could. Is that worth the package we sent out? It's no slam dunk at this point.

On balance, I'd be much better with the trade if we hadn't included Cole, which was absolutely foolish considering the opportunity in front of us this year. Trading him took us from a position of strength on the 3rd pairing to a weak 3rd pairing. You can't have a weak third pairing (and a weak PK) against Tampa or even Washington. It's going to hurt us.

If those are your main issues, why mention the play of Sheahan/the third line? We're getting nearly a point a game from our bottom 6 centres - something very few teams can say - and Kessel is running hot at ES. It would be nice to get even more but also quite unrealistic.

And that combination of Brassard/Sheahan vs. Sheahan/whoever is what the difference is to our team, not Brassard vs Sheahan. Incidentally, if you're regretting moving Cole, I doubt that someone is Pleks as you first suggested, because if they moved Cole to accommodate the cap hit of one 3m centre who do you think they'd have moved to accommodate the cap hit of a different 3m centre?

If you don't like the trade because it meant losing Cole, then fair enough. I'm not sure where I'm on that, not least because Brassard will be here next year and Cole never would have been.

But saying our bottom 6 is worse now, that we're not getting contributions from the players? It doesn't add up.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
+++ HGH: As usual awesome. I think Hags is such a treat to watch all game long. He's back on every backcheck. He's first in on forechecks. Horny is the heart. Geno is the star. It's a treat.

+ Brassard: I thought he was terrific. Great dishes and great 2 way play.

+ Sid's goal: Come on. Another one to watch 10 times. Beautiful hand-eye.

+ Jake Guentzel: So last game he got benched and ever since that benching - he went full psycho. In a good way. He's been a demon out there.

A little different minus here for me tonight. Im not going to ***** about Kessel or Letang. I'll talk about concerns.

- Sid's line: Nobody rotates high and nobody has rotated high all year. It looks awful with Rust and it's concerning because they have no groove/chemistry. For Sid's line to work, all 3 guys have to battle low and rotate high. Guentzel is battling low. Sid is 50/50. Rust is completely out to lunch. That line needs to figure it out. I think if Sid completely engages, it could work. But the rotating has been an issue all year. Kills us defensively.

- Brassard's line: I feel like Brassard is doing so well defensively but the chemistry isn't there yet. Nobody is chipping short and supporting. Kessel is just hanging around right now and Sheary is too weak to battle. It's a bad fit. Rust is a good fit because he battles with Brassard while Kessel does his thing. I really want Rust back on this line.

The only line doing small things all over the ice is HGH. And Malkin is engaged with Horny/Hags doing those small things. You see short chips/supporting one another. We need that on each line. And good lord the 4th line is pointless until we get healthy.

- PK: I am not sure how it's going to work. We desperately needed a Cole-like defender. Watching Benn tonight, i still contest that would have been a good pick up. I don't think we are going to see the PK get better. Not enough battle and we need that Cole-like guy.

I could live with Rust on third line, even though he plays well with Geno. Hornqvist can play with Sid, but to break up the second line would be pointless at this time.

Brassard will be fine. He's still adjusting from Ottawa's 1-3-1 garbage. It takes time for the programming to erase. He does create the matchup issues which is good enough for me....

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I could live with Rust on third line, even though he plays well with Geno. Hornqvist can play with Sid, but to break up the second line would be pointless at this time...
unless your putting sprong in for horny.....that would be a match made in heaven. (if geno trusts him)
all sprong would need to do is get open, and geno would make him a millionaire.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
If he wasn't scoring with Crosby, who leads the team and is top 10 in assists, what makes you think he would be be any different with Malkin?
yeah crosby and malkin are identical players and you can safely assume anyone that “doesn’t work” with one, however tenuous of a definition of work you have is, won’t work with the other. i’ve seen a hockey before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->