Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Flames 3 - Deserves Got Nothing to Do with It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
One big difference tho. Kuhnhackl and Rowney are sucking but take the minimal salary for it. I can swallow that, they are who they are, the random plugs. But Sheary is actually taking 3M for this. That´s awful. Can´t believe there were people caring about him at TDL. I don´t think he starts 2018/2019 with us, tbh.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah it does. Even Malkin’s minutes which were down for most of the season and have slowly crept up to above last year.

Since we are pretty much going to the playoffs and we also have Brassard now they should ease off.

If they think home ice is going to be a significant enough factor then ok but pick our spots. Crosby is still playing heavy minutes in big wins or losses when there is no need.

Thanks for looking it up.

If it’s homeice, imo, the crosby conundrum trumps that and if he’s coasting this hard then lowering his minutes isn’t a huge loss. We’d probably see Sheahan cry tears of joy if he got some of those shifts.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sullivan's solution to players looking like they need some time off is giving them insane amounts of ice time.

Letang needs to be eased back in after a serious injury? Let's play him 27+ minutes per night!

Crosby looks gassed and possibly injured? Let's play him 21+ minutes per night!

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I wonder if 87 is just bummed out by the current environment as well. He seemed especially close with Kunitz, Cullen, Fleury and Daley. It’s annoying to endlessly speculate but seeing him mope and then become a monster when somebody slashes him and he gets mad tells me it’s a mental block and not a significant injury.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wonder if 87 is just bummed out by the current environment as well. He seemed especially close with Kunitz, Cullen, Fleury and Daley. It’s annoying to endlessly speculate but seeing him mope and then become a monster when somebody slashes him and he gets mad tells me it’s a mental block and not a significant injury.

I think it is more that Crosby realizes that his legacy is defined by Cups not regular season success.

Hard to get up for games like these.

Also wouldn’t be surprised if he has some type of nagging injury.

Reactions: KIRK

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think the missing of the core thats gone is long past.
Probably more, you're Sidney Crosby:

-TDL day, you ship Cole+Reaves out and bring in Brassard
-I'm sure he loves Brass but as they say some toughness in the lineup makes you feel 10 feet taller.
-He knows this team has won without it tho BUT is it worth it to wreck himself in this particular stretch of games(19 left post DL with what is it 5 back to backs?).
-BOS game being a good example, Horny went ***** to the wall and they tried to take a piece of his flesh the rest of the night.
-Perhaps a guy like Sid just wants to get through this stretch healthy and the team either has the nuts and bolts JR has put together or it doesn't...

ETA: And ya just never know if something else is at play. Injury or something at home...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
How is it that while we're in a dogfight with Philly Wednesday night, TOR has this entire week off before they play us? Literally have off from tonight until Saturday. This is not the first time I noticed that teams we've played b2b earlier this year had 4-5 days off before playing us. It's ridiculously unfair especially when coupled with all the excessive b2bs we have...fixed

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
How is it that while we're in a dogfight with Philly Wednesday night, TOR has this entire week off before they play us? Literally have off from tonight until Saturday. This is not the first time I noticed that teams we've played b2b earlier this year had 4-5 days off before playing us. It's ridiculously unfair especially when coupled with all the excessive b2bs we have...fixed

We have two days off before we play them, it's the begging of a back to back, but it's definitely fustrating.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Brass can play in all situations, he is a gamer. A good pick for sure. Allows Sully to get bench creative and mix up the forward lines. I like that he is another option for Sid as well.

And another player thats built for the playoffs. Right now its all about getting used to our system(completely diff in Ottawa) , so when the playoffs start we get the most out of him.

Last edited:

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
One strange thing is that up until new year PIT was 6th in league with 3.60 PP opportunities per game. Since new year they are 3rd but from the bottom. Only EDM (2.26) and CBJ (2.50) had less PP opportunities per game than PIT (2.52) in games since new year. They also had just 22 PP opp in their last 12 games (1.83 PP opp/GP).

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Should have tried harder(if they did at all) to move hunwick and sheary at the deadline. Both (if team is healthy) I see sitting in the press box in the playoffs.

Somebody would have taken a chance with Sheary after the season he had last year and being apart of two cup runs(scored some timely goals). Keep waiting for him to turn it around but hasnt happened no matter what line hes on. Could have traded him for a dman in a similar situation.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Max Out Sweat literally kicks my ass. That's insane you didn't max out. Kudos man. Cardio Challenge and Tabata Strength are the only 2 i've made it through multiple times all the way. I couldn't imagine hitting Max Out Sweat with it. My hat is off to you, sir.

My goal is to get through Friday Fight (2) without maxing out, but that's going to be tough. Don't have my sheet in front of me, but I think I made it to just before the 20 min mark both times so far...

My weakness is the damn lunges, don't know why... so when he does iron legs I think that's when I max out. My quads start screaming.

If I can hit my nemesis (massive hill I rep on) this spring with about 5-6 reps off the bat, this workout will have been worth its weight in gold.

We are so lucky that when Sidney Crosby decides to coast we have Geno and two time defending Stanley Cup champion Phil Kessel to carry the load.

I've been saying for two years it's like a dream, but it's real.

He's so unreal and was always goofed on in Toronto by other fans, and now the league is seeing how special he is and I love it.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Well, let's see
4th line was a combined -5
It seems that you can't hide bad on the 4th line and limit play time to control the damage they cause.

+Gino, being Gino.
+Kessel, not even scoring, but passing. The guy has tremendous vision.
+Guentzel, causing some chaos on the ice and I love it.
+Jarry, kept his head, made some decent saves late in the game.
+Letang looking more Letangish...

~Brassard was more engaged and felt like more of a factor on occasions.
~Rust, played 17:32 but can't remember him being on the ice.
~Sid, effort? Sometimes it's there. Sometime not so much. His passing even seems a bit off. 12/6 on FO

- Pretty obvious, the 4th line.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sullivan's solution to players looking like they need some time off is giving them insane amounts of ice time.

Letang needs to be eased back in after a serious injury? Let's play him 27+ minutes per night!

Crosby looks gassed and possibly injured? Let's play him 21+ minutes per night!

Yeah, I'm not sure I get this either. Sheary needs time off too, still don't like how early he came back.

That said... I'm not sure how much of it is Crosby being gassed and how much of it is him waiting for the play-offs. The way he flicked the switch in January makes me skeptical of the idea its mainly physical. But why not rest him a little and give Brassard and Sheahan more minutes? The team can afford it.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Maybe Sid is saving himself for Philly?
I really think the lack of solid line mates is taking it's toll. There's been a ton of toying this year with who plays wing for the guy and that really makes it tough to have that synchronicity with passing and getting a feel for where someone is going to be. I think ZAR was good for him in that he knew consistently where ZAR would be and he would help dig pucks. Guentzel has been there as well but not with consistency. Finding the soft spots is important with a guy like Sid who controls the puck so well below the goal line.

I think he needs to take a page from Gino at this point and just try to create on his own and work from there. A shift or two last night reminded me of the old Sid. He needs to do more of that to get his wingers some space because it's painfully obvious they can't create much of there own.

gorvenator

Sep 30, 2009
Big plus to Letang. He played a great game. I know we're only suppose to point out negative aspects of his game, but he sure played great. If this is what to expect, we're in great shape.

meechimindoh

Dec 13, 2009
Well, he got tooled by Backlund so I wouldn't exactly call it great, but he did get better as the game went on.

Reactions: domaug

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Sid had two good opportunities in tight. He could have easily buried either one and turned this into a good effort overall. Given that he didn't, this game was a minus for him overall. I think the lack of PP opportunities is probably dogging him too. He needs to get engaged with better linemates... and if he doesn't get that at even strength then he needs more PP chances. Pens have just been getting the shaft on those lately. 2 or less PPs almost every game.

IMO Sheary's game is rock bottom right now. He probably can't even lace up his own skates. It seems like any time he gets near a scoring chance he fumbles it. Zero confidence right now. I don't know how you solve this, given you know he can play a lot better. Just let him push through i guess. Its very disappointing to see. He might very well play himself out of the league if it doesn't turn around quickly.

Letang had a surprising game too. He actually hit the net. I was in disbelief when i saw that goal. Whens the last time Letang did anything like that? Years? Hopefully a sign hes finding his peak again. They will need him to be good for this run.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
IMO Sheary's game is rock bottom right now. He probably can't even lace up his own skates. It seems like any time he gets near a scoring chance he fumbles it. Zero confidence right now. I don't know how you solve this, given you know he can play a lot better. Just let him push through i guess. Its very disappointing to see. He might very well play himself out of the league if it doesn't turn around quickly.
Conor Sheary is just straight up frustrating to watch right now. Rock bottom, for sure... He doesn't even have to be near a scoring chance, he just seems like he has no control over the puck when he's out there, it's brutal.

I could very well see himself playing himself out of the league if he doesn't start producing or evolve his game. He's the kind of guy who, if he's not scoring, he's not really helping your team with the rest of his play... and anyone who's paying attention knows... he sure as heck ain't scoring recently.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Big plus to Letang. He played a great game. I know we're only suppose to point out negative aspects of his game, but he sure played great. If this is what to expect, we're in great shape.

Well, he got tooled by Backlund so I wouldn't exactly call it great, but he did get better as the game went on.

As meechimindoh said - it was better as the game went on, but that 1P was bad. Can't have this when it matters the most. Every #1 dman gets walked in their life. It's natural. There are talented players in the NHL. But we need Kris to be on his horse in about 15 more games.

We are progressing there, for sure. Just can't give him a definitive plus for this game due to that. He made up for it with his goal, though.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad