Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Caps 3 (OT): The Heart Attack Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
They were a rarity though.

Just off the top of my head he scored 1 pp goal with a one timer to complete a hat trick against the Rangers in 2010 and he had 2 pp one timer goals in a game against the Flyers that year. He has a good clapper when he actually uses it.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
I like to think they were just feeling nostalgic and got carried away. :laugh:

Anyone else remember when Matt Cooke got a delay of game penalty for firing the puck out of the Pens zone, down the ice and clear over the opposing end's glass? Best delay of game penalty, ever. :laugh:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I lived in DC for 6 years in the 90's and attended many a Cap vs Pens game, including playoffs.

People here are being much to nice and apologetic to their fan base. I found them to be almost on the same level of hate as Flyers fans, combined with a huge dose of ignorance.

Some of the things I heard directed at the Pens and Mario by a large amount of their fans still resonates with me to this day.

They are choking dogs and I find it both funny and satisfying to see them eliminated by the Pens after their historic season. :laugh::nod::handclap::naughty:;):)

True. I've lived right outside DC since 04 and I've seen my fair share of people being idiots just because someone isn't wearing the right jersey. The thing that always gets me is the Caps fan that clearly has no idea what hockey is really about. A lot of my good friends here are Caps fans and for their sake I hope the Caps one year finally get over the hump but not at the expense of the Pens. I do get a kick out of all the Crosbysucks jerseys I see, what a nice waste of a few hundred bucks.

I've heard this from multiple people, including a family member.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
When I lived in Maryland (2005-7-ish), I knew exactly three Capitals fans and all three were Russian citizens. There were also some stray people who liked stock car racing. Everybody else was nuts about the Browns Ravens and oblivious to everything else that wasn't the Orioles. This one guy who was from just outside Washington didn't even know there was an NBA team haha.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
It's crazy how the Pens situation looked before the new year, it was very bleak. Now the Pens are in the ECF. It's really amazing to see a team turn it around like that. Sometimes what seems like an impossible goal, can actually become a reality.
Definitely.

Look at it from our perspective. Most of us have been complaining about the organization refusing to address these problems for several years, while Sid and Geno get older. For them to suddenly "get it" and turn things around is very satisfying. Regardless of what happens next series, most of us will feel like we've already won.

Rutherford should be GM of the year, no contest.

I agree with that. They can also shoot more.

You can't really argue with HBK's production at this point though. They shouldn't be broken up so Geno can produce more. Shifts here and there, sure, but not for full games until we really struggle to win as a team.

That said, getting Geno some time with Cullen-Rust or Cullen-Kuhn or Hornqvist-Sheary or Sid-whoever should be a priority. We are supposedly a 4 line team, but I think we could be more dangerous as an 11 forward team with a double shifting Sid-Geno and inserting Schultz for 5 on 5.
I agree.

Geno, and maybe Phil, should be getting some extra shifts with other lines, especially on the road. Nothing crazy, just a few more minutes of ice.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I am not embarrassed to say that I really, really, REALLY wish we had Oshie on this team. If you swapped Oshie for Kunitz we would be absolutely unstoppable.

He looks like he'd be the perfect winger for Malkin. And he really, really brought it this series.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Ending the Capitals season was incredibly satisfying. So arrogant, so entitled (in their minds), yet all they did was cry the whole series. Enjoy the off-season.....

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
When the Caps pulled that one out this year, the Hawks fans claimed to have used it in 2012 and then the Flyers also said the used it recently. Reeks of bad luck. Loser theme.

Re that goofy flip saying, I thought it was a Pierre cluster-**** last night during interviews. I didn't realize it had a history. If so, F no. I retract my comment. Heh.

Trotz with one of the classiest pressers I've heard. He really emoted and explained what type of bond teammates have and why it hurts so much. That's something people who play sports feel/felt and know that pain at the end of the season.

Yeah people were a little overboard with the Trotz hate in parts of this series. I got no problem with the guy; he's not a dirtbag coach by any stretch.

Mike Lange's call: "All the President's Trophy men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again!"

Hahahaha! Choice.

I do not get the idea that the Caps are chokers or that Ovy is a choker.

Agree. Ovy can come across as an a-hole sometimes personality-wise and has some questionable hits sometimes but he's shown many times he can put the puck in the net when it matters. That being said, this Cap team had all the pieecs some of the old choke teams didn't. Fantastic goalie, Mr. Clutch (Williams), some added edge (Oshie)... so as a team you can make the argument this one choked harder than some of the prior series where they lost to us. But I don't think Ovy speifically is a choke artist. That would mean he disappears / doesn't contribute to the score-sheet, which isn't the case.

Honestly I was a little worried when Boohoodreau left that they might actually end up with a coach who got them past all the mental stuff but after last night, you better believe it's alive and well in that room.

This year has totally convinced me that I never want to see the Penguins make a deadline rental trade ever again.

I'm fine with hockey trades, and I'm fine with being the one who dumps assets, but bringing in rentals works far less often than it seems to hinder.

Yeah I think you're right generally speaking though I would never say never. Sometimes timing might dictate the next Hagelin or Kessel down the road, starts as a rental.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I didn't like the way Trotz used the media as a platform to push an agenda, but that's what coaches do. He was clawing for any kind of advantage he could get for his team.

He didn't go full Torts and lose his **** or anything. Now that guy is a ****ing clown. It boggles my mind how he's been employed for so long.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Listening to the local DC area sports radio has been interesting, the amount of resignation and acceptance of another short post season. One of the shows had John Carlson on and you could hear in his voice the pain of the loss. One interesting fact that I learned, since 2000, none of the 4 major DC sports teams has made a conference final (Redskins, Caps, Nationals, Wizards). That is a long stretch of not getting close to a finals.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sry for this being in the wrong spot but idk where else to put it, can anyone photoshop the quote out of this?

6a57a130db28300d7d3f25dfb57e1c0b.png

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
People do that?

"I hate Crosby so much I'm going to pay $200 to say he sucks on a jersey that he'll never see.":laugh:

There are people ready to put Donald Trump / Hillary Clinton / Bernie Sanders in the White House so yeah, there's all kinds of crazy out there. Pissing away $200 on an anti-Crosby (or whoever) jersey seems relatively harmless in that light. Although we must never forget this jersey.

fartsmell.jpg

See, good things can happen. Even in Philadelphia.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sully gets a lot of props (and deservedly so) but Jacques Martin is doing a hell of a job with our defensemen. Gonchar has apparently been useful there too, but with how calm our d are and how they don't get rattled...I feel like a lot of that is from Martin. He's got that steady demeanor and a wealth of experience in the game. I'm confident he's having a hugely positive effect on our d.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad