Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Caps 3 (OT): The Heart Attack Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
And let me ask you this Blind Willy: What had a better chance of scoring

Geno's pass over the defender, waist high for Fehr to deflect past Holtby. OR

Geno ripping a wrist shot short side.

That was a great scoring chance. If Holtby doesn't rip that out of the air, very good chance f16 puts that behind him.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
That was a great scoring chance. If Holtby doesn't rip that out of the air, very good chance f16 puts that behind him.

im not sure that fehr didnt get a tiny piece of it but was just too close to holtbys glove for the deflection to really do anything

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't really know if Sundqvist is even ready, let alone ready to play with Malkin. He's definitely not ready enough to be name dropped as much as he has been.

I think Sundqvist is an option to reenter the lineup if Sullivan decides to go Malkin-Crosby-Hornqvist/Sheary/Fehr on the first line. Otherwise, I agree.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
What. A. Game!!! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Trotz ignored the HBK line and he paid the price. I doubt other coaches make the same mistake in the future, but let's celebrate knocking Ovechkin out in the second round AGAIN for a minute. :yo:

Never in a million years would I have guessed, before these playoffs started, that we would advance with our coach neutering both Sid and Geno at ES and stacking the third line. Sully proved me wrong in this regard, and I'm happy to eat crow regarding his strategy, though I did pick and bet on the Pens before this series began.

That said, there has to be a way to get both our star centers involved at ES. Sid will face tough matchups regardless but Geno is getting no help out there. Kunitz needs to be put out to pasture this offseason, and Fehr is a shell of his former solid 3rd-liner self. Hopefully Sully recognizes that 2 points apiece for the series is significant underproduction from our top 2 C's.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
That was the most stressful game I've ever attended. I've never seen fans so angry in my life during that third period. Also, never thought Jay Beagle would make the save of the series. And we still won.

+Depth scoring. We've never known what depth scoring looks like until now and it's beautiful.
+Murray

-Kunitz. Weak penalties
-Interference penalty Letang got on Oshie when the puck was at his feet

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I am not embarrassed to say that I really, really, REALLY wish we had Oshie on this team. If you swapped Oshie for Kunitz we would be absolutely unstoppable.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Found a better quality GIF of this ...
fx6QpPz.gif

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Weird to see no Caps fans with a "coming in peace, good series" posts. Those guys must really hate the Pens.

those posts are pretty easy to fire off as a winner, less when you are a presidents trophy winning playoff loser for what must feel like the upteenth time...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Yeah... I didn't see the post yours is referencing.

The Fehr chance was glorious. Not sure there is a point to be made, there.

Frankly I don't even remember the Malkin chance he's talking about.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
Weird to see no Caps fans with a "coming in peace, good series" posts. Those guys must really hate the Pens.

They're a major rival and are 1-8 against this team in the playoffs all time. I highly doubt many of them are going to be congratulatory. And I don't blame them, tbh. Many of us would do the same.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Yeah... I didn't see the post yours is referencing.

The Fehr chance was glorious. Not sure there is a point to be made, there.

Frankly I don't even remember the Malkin chance he's talking about.

I am talking about this exact play. My point is I think there is a better chance of Geno scoring short side than Fehr tipping in a pass at his waist. If you look at the replay, Fehr wiffs on it and Holtby grabs the pass.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... you better believe that, were I a Caps fan (yuck) or a Red Rocket... or whatever they call themselves... that I'd not want to talk to anyone for days after that series. Much less Penguins fans.

I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong. But the Penguins robbed them of that series. I'm not saying the Capitals deserved to win. But even as someone who despises that team and the bulk of their ninny fans... I gotta say I have at least some empathy. They played better (to my eyes) than the Penguins and were ousted in six. That's gotta sting.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
I'm still waiting for Tom Wilson to get in heads of the Pens players with his 1 point and -3. and generally getting hemmed in his zone most of his shifts.. I wish the Caps had more Tom wilson's on their team.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Like I said before, the dynamic trio of Wilson, Winnik and Richards did dick all this series. That was why they lost. Especially with their PP heating up in both elimination games. The Caps depth got exposed for what it is. Similar to 2013 for us when we added a bunch of washed up vets.

Kuznetsov was disappointing, but at least you can argue the top 2 lines of both teams pretty much cancelled one another out at ES.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I am talking about this exact play. My point is I think there is a better chance of Geno scoring short side than Fehr tipping in a pass at his waist. If you look at the replay, Fehr wiffs on it and Holtby grabs the pass.

I just can't agree. That was a perfectly fine decision that led to a great opportunity. The value of shooting there, if he's capable of saucering one over to a crashing Fehr (and he is, 9/10 times), is questionable, to me. Not to mention... with Malkin's inevitably wonky hand/arm/wrist/shoulder/whateverthe****... he clearly doesn't trust his shot. And maybe he's right not to.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I just can't agree. That was a perfectly fine decision that led to a great opportunity. The value of shooting there, if he's capable of saucering one over to a crashing Fehr (and he is, 9/10 times), is questionable, to me. Not to mention... with Malkin's inevitably wonky hand/arm/wrist/shoulder/whateverthe****... he clearly doesn't trust his shot. And maybe he's right not to.

Understood, it's simply a difference in the way you look at the situation.

I think if you tried each scenario 10 times each in practice, my belief is Geno scores 2-3 times with his shot and 1-2 times with the pass to Fehr.

I have nothing to back that up other than there are more things that have to happen correctly for Fehr to score than with Geno's shot option.

Geno has to make the pass
Fehr has to deflect it on net
Fehr has to beat the goalie

Option 2

Geno has to beat the goalie at a worse angle

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Yeah... you better believe that, were I a Caps fan (yuck) or a Red Rocket... or whatever they call themselves... that I'd not want to talk to anyone for days after that series. Much less Penguins fans.

I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong. But the Penguins robbed them of that series. I'm not saying the Capitals deserved to win. But even as someone who despises that team and the bulk of their ninny fans... I gotta say I have at least some empathy. They played better (to my eyes) than the Penguins and were ousted in six. That's gotta sting.

Wow man. Respect your posts but truly disagree re who played better.
Thought for all but a little of G3 and a lot of G5, Pens dominated 5 on 5.

This series was about whether the Caps superior PP could overcome that.

ES it was not that close.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Winnik is ****ing terrible. Richards has a lot of hard, hard miles on him and a drug addiction. Tom Wilson is...not an intelligent human being. What's Winnik's excuse?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Fehr didn't whiff on it. Holtby intercepted it before it got to Fehr. Frankly, I think Fehr did get a stick on the puck, problem being that Holtby already had it in his glove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad