Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Bolts 2: The American Dream Puts Hard Times on Tampa Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
HBK is good enough where you can definitely get 87 and 71 out there together. Cullen and Fehr are playing like legit 3rd liners in this series.

Tampa is definitely trying to shut Kessel down. Take advantage. They can't handle 87 and 71 followed by that line.

If Hornqvist is hurt:
Kunitz-Crosby-Malkin
HBK
Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Rust
Sheary-Fehr-Sprong/Bennett/Sundqvist/Whoever

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
If you needed more convincing that Kessel is really good in the playoffs...

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Just a little trip down memory lane via Peter Karmanos:

“I ultimately take responsibility for everything,” Karmanos said.

Rutherford, now the Penguins GM, made perhaps the biggest NHL splash Wednesday, completing a trade that brought Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh. That also earned a mention from Karmanos, who quipped, “I do not have to take responsibility for Pittsburgh signing Kessel.

“Pittsburgh has no first-round picks anymore,” he added. “They traded their first-round pick from the year before, they traded their first-round pick for this year and now they've traded their first-round pick for next year. But they have Kessel, who may score as many goals as Alex Semin did.”

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

“I ultimately take responsibility for everything,†Karmanos said.

Rutherford, now the Penguins GM, made perhaps the biggest NHL splash Wednesday, completing a trade that brought Toronto Maple Leafs forward Phil Kessel to Pittsburgh. That also earned a mention from Karmanos, who quipped, “I do not have to take responsibility for Pittsburgh signing Kessel.

“Pittsburgh has no first-round picks anymore,†he added. “They traded their first-round pick from the year before, they traded their first-round pick for this year and now they've traded their first-round pick for next year. But they have Kessel, who may score as many goals as Alex Semin did.â€

I have not looked it up, did Kessel score as many goals as Semin did? How about in the playoffs?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm not totally such how they would match-up, but I'm hoping for a StL/Pgh finals... if only so I don't have to stay up way too late for games in SJ

Man I'm getting old.

My hockey pool would like STL/PIT. The games will be at 5pm PST - 8pm EST regardless of who they play. They've done this every year for the finals - it just makes for better viewing. I mean even the games in the conf finals are all at 5/8pm.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

“I ultimately take responsibility for everything,†Karmanos said.

“Pittsburgh has no first-round picks anymore,†he added. “They traded their first-round pick from the year before, they traded their first-round pick for this year and now they've traded their first-round pick for next year. But they have Kessel, who may score as many goals as Alex Semin did.â€

I hope JR has that quote printed and posted on every hot dog cart in Pittsburgh.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
My hockey pool would like STL/PIT. The games will be at 5pm PST - 8pm EST regardless of who they play. They've done this every year for the finals - it just makes for better viewing. I mean even the games in the conf finals are all at 5/8pm.

In light of this news... I have no rooting interest in the West.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
I hope JR has that quote printed and posted on every hot dog cart in Pittsburgh.

laughing-bonobo-360x240.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

And isn't it about time to reopen the series discussion thread?

It's absolutely not because they have a good roster, good system, good coach, a good goalie, and speed out the wazoo. Nah...they're just feeling it.

Ya know those "rank the cup winners" threads on the main board from time to time?

I have a feeling this team will wrongfully always get ranked at the bottom if things come together and they win. Other fans will always look at this at "well, it's the other teams that lost. It wasn't the Penguins winning. So and so was a much better team but <insert excuses x, y, and z> so that's why they lost...it wasn't because the Penguins were good. I mean, they have some guy named Koonharkcles and other AHL players! I don't recognize those names so they must be bad."

Rangers fans knew they were screwed, Capitals fans were cocky that they'd destroy us, and now Tampa fans are the cockiest of all and believe that they are just so superior...and they have to watch the Penguins ruin them night in and night out. Capitals fans still haven't come to terms with it. They think it's because 1-2 players didn't show up. Tampa fans are blaming this all on their back up goalie.

That's what I'm loving about this team right now. They are just quietly going about their business one game at a time and they are finding every excuse to win.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's absolutely not because they have a good roster, good system, good coach, a good goalie, and speed out the wazoo. Nah...they're just feeling it.

Ya know those "rank the cup winners" threads on the main board from time to time?

I have a feeling this team will wrongfully always get ranked at the bottom if things come together and they win. Other fans will always look at this at "well, it's the other teams that lost. It wasn't the Penguins winning. So and so was a much better team but <insert excuses x, y, and z> so that's why they lost...it wasn't because the Penguins were good. I mean, they have some guy named Koonharkcles and other AHL players! I don't recognize those names so they must be bad."

Rangers fans knew they were screwed, Capitals fans were cocky that they'd destroy us, and now Tampa fans are the cockiest of all and believe that they are just so superior...and they have to watch the Penguins ruin them night in and night out. Capitals fans still haven't come to terms with it. They think it's because 1-2 players didn't show up. Tampa fans are blaming this all on their back up goalie.

That's what I'm loving about this team right now. They are just quietly going about their business one game at a time and they are finding every excuse to win.

I'm fairly certain that wasn't Cooper's implication. He's an honest guy, and the whole 'feeling it' had to be him saying 'beyond everything else, they're on a roll'. Pretty sure he was complimenting the Pens.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

I agree. There are still people who say our defense sucks and we have no depth :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Historically we play horribly vs both of those teams. My gut says St Louis. But lets come back to reality.

Who do you think the Pens will match up better with when they reach the finals?

Is this some weird, sad "reverse jinx" thing you've got going on?

You're hanging out on the opposing board telling us how woe is you, if best player on your team weren't hurt, you wouldn't have to watch the 2nd best player on your team (by performance if not skill) keep you in games.

And now the "lol its 2-1 who do you want to play in the finals?!?"

It's like getting dumped and seeking comfort in the arms of your ex's husband.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

You're hanging out on the opposing board telling us how woe is you, if best player on your team weren't hurt, you wouldn't have to watch the 2nd best player on your team (by performance if not skill) keep you in games.

I missed you. :popcorn:

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I agree. There are still people who say our defense sucks and we have no depth :laugh:

Some main board posters are going to wake up one morning to find BRIAN DUMOULIN painted in big red letters all over their walls, and they will know that I was there.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Some main board posters are going to wake up one morning to find BRIAN DUMOULIN painted in big red letters all over their walls, and they will know that I was there.

Jordan ****ing Staal for Pouliot, Dumoulin, Bonino, and changing our third round pick for Vancouver's second round pick in this year's draft.

Un-****ing-believable.

And if we did not have an idiot who was obsessed with defense as a GM it would have been Forsberg.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL

No reverse jinx. Just wondering because both of those teams seem like they would be a tough match up for either the Lightning or Pens. Also don't get confused, this series is over. Our guys look as flat as a granite counter top.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Jordan ****ing Staal for Pouliot, Dumoulin, Bonino, and changing our third round pick for Vancouver's second round pick in this year's draft.

Un-****ing-believable.

And if we did not have an idiot who was obsessed with defense as a GM it would have been Forsberg.

I was about to say that would've been all Malkin needed but man would Forsberg-Sid-Horny have been quite the line. :popcorn:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
No reverse jinx. Just wondering because both of those teams seem like they would be a tough match up for either the Lightning or Pens. Also don't get confused, this series is over. Our guys look as flat as a granite counter top.

Just like the Penguins looked dead in game 1. The Lightning are a fast and deep-ish team and they still have a player many consider elite on the verge of coming back. And it's not like the Penguins have a reputation for closing things out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad