Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Avs 1 - Murray, Hornqvist, Kunitz Lead Pens to a Hard Fought Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Just sticking my head in, not that I watch the Pens a lot, but can't one of the reasons Sid yells at Hornqvist so much is that Hornqvist yells back? From the little I've seen it just seems they tend to go back and forth a lot, not something I've seen with Sid and any other player.

Also what was the thing with the shirt? Swedish media was reporting something about Hornqvist wearing a Slapshot shirt and the commentators mentioning it?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Next time someone suggests leaving Hornqvist exposed to expansion or says he's "not that good," someone needs to link them video of this game.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The problem isn't what Kunitz did in isolation. The problem is that he did it while screwing up the 1st line playing way above where he should in the line-up.

Where he's used isn't his fault, but that was the cherry on top.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's not enough for people to just come to terms with the fact that a guy is old/ineffective and we're stuck with him. They have to frame him as a villain too for some reason. Did the same thing with Scuds and Orpik.

Reality check: I'm here defending Scuds. That's how bad it is/was.

Orpik was a villain, though. He'd go out on the ice, stink up the joint, scream at someone else when he missed his assignment, then tell the media that everybody but him is lazy/terrible while admitting he doesn't try half the time and explaining that that's justified (but only for him). And that's when he wasn't cheapshotting somebody--often Flower (worst was when he knocked some unsuspecting guy out and explained that he doesn't fight because "head injuries are scary").

I appreciate that #44 gave us 4 really good years, but his character was just abominable, start to finish. It's only natural for people to seize on that once his game left him.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The whole "owned up" conversation is getting silly. There's "I probably shouldn't have taken 2 muffins at the breakfast buffet " owning up and then there's "I probably shouldn't have taken the collection basket at church" owning up.

If I'm short a muffin at breakfast because someone else took that someone really does need to own up :rant::laugh:

I'll never get why people here reckon hyperbole's the best way to call people out on their hyperbole. It makes as little sense as having Kunitz be the worker on Sid's line instead of Horny.

I've gotta say, I do sometimes wonder if Horny really has a future on this team if Sid doesn't want him on his line and he doesn't really gel with Malkin - but man, he's a great player to have around.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Just sticking my head in, not that I watch the Pens a lot, but can't one of the reasons Sid yells at Hornqvist so much is that Hornqvist yells back? From the little I've seen it just seems they tend to go back and forth a lot, not something I've seen with Sid and any other player.

Also what was the thing with the shirt? Swedish media was reporting something about Hornqvist wearing a Slapshot shirt and the commentators mentioning it?

They go back and forth sometimes, but I've seen that with Kessel and Crosby as well, and also with Malkin and Crosby.

I personally doubt Sid is calling the shots with his lines.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Orpik was a villain, though. He'd go out on the ice, stink up the joint, scream at someone else when he missed his assignment, then tell the media that everybody but him is lazy/terrible while admitting he doesn't try half the time and explaining that that's justified (but only for him). And that's when he wasn't cheapshotting somebody--often Flower (worst was when he knocked some unsuspecting guy out and explained that he doesn't fight because "head injuries are scary").

I appreciate that #44 gave us 4 really good years, but his character was just abominable, start to finish. It's only natural for people to seize on that once his game left him.

Hear hear...

Kunitz isn't a villain. He's an old guy hanging on, and it's actually the Captain's fault he's where he is in the lineup right now (but won't be when everyone's healthy)

Scuderi wasn't quite Orpik, but he was getting frighteningly close. When you're the worst player on the team, a normal person goes into the locker room after a loss, keeps his head down, and hope NOBODY notices him. Scuderi would do the opposite.

Orpik and Adams were miserable pieces of ****. Orpik not only thought he was better than what he was, but he hated every young D on the roster he thought may usurp him (which was all of them) He was also all too eager to squeal to reporters about certain players' personal vices.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Hear hear...

Kunitz isn't a villain. He's an old guy hanging on, and it's actually the Captain's fault he's where he is in the lineup right now (but won't be when everyone's healthy)

Scuderi wasn't quite Orpik, but he was getting frighteningly close. When you're the worst player on the team, a normal person goes into the locker room after a loss, keeps his head down, and hope NOBODY notices him. Scuderi would do the opposite.

Orpik and Adams were miserable pieces of ****. Orpik not only thought he was better than what he was, but he hated every young D on the roster he thought may usurp him (which was all of them) He was also all too eager to squeal to reporters about certain players' personal vices.

Scuderi seems humble, down to earth. I figured he was out there after every loss as a sacrificial lamb. Like, Letang and Geno aren't going to want to talk after a 5-0 loss, so may as well send Scuds in front of the firing squad because he won't refuse to take the bullet. In other words, he was taking one for the team from his perspective.

Kunitz is as you say. An old guy who's washing up and trying to make the best of what he's got left. It wouldn't surprise me if he figured he wouldn't be able to even make that pass.

Orpik was a different story. His post-game objective was clearly to make sure someone other than him got blamed.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is the only thing I am annoyed about. The Kunitz thing is so ridiculous. The guy is done after this year, this isn't Adams 2.0 thankfully.

I'm not sure why you think he's done after this year. If he wants to keep playing, there are teams that will take him in a depth role. The question is whether he will keep playing for 1-2MM per or if he'd rather quit if he can't make more.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not sure why you think he's done after this year. If he wants to keep playing, there are teams that will take him in a depth role. The question is whether he will keep playing for 1-2MM per or if he'd rather quit if he can't make more.

I meant this team. If a team is going to offer him a contract, likely a young team looking to add his experience or a team desperate for some help on the left side. The Pens have young guys that are ready to step up, so yeah he's a guy I am not going to waste being angry about.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

This is hyperbolic revisionist history to the Nth degree, and that goes for the additions to your statement below it. The guy was asked questions constantly about what the team needed to do better. It's all BS and this board's propensity to overanalyze meaningless, obligatory post-game interviews is just plain misguided.

FYI it has nothing to do with my username either, which I think I created sometime around 1976. It's just flat out over the top nonsense.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I meant this team. If a team is going to offer him a contract, likely a young team looking to add his experience or a team desperate for some help on the left side. The Pens have young guys that are ready to step up, so yeah he's a guy I am not going to waste being angry about.

Oh yeah I hope he's done on this team. Although some people went mad last week and suggested re-signing him to a depth role.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is hyperbolic revisionist history to the Nth degree, and that goes for the additions to your statement below it. The guy was asked questions constantly about what the team needed to do better. It's all BS and this board's propensity to overanalyze meaningless, obligatory post-game interviews is just plain misguided.

FYI it has nothing to do with my username either, which I think I created sometime around 1976. It's just flat out over the top nonsense.

Is it revisionist history if people were saying that **** about Orpik while he was here? Hyperbolic maybe, but hardly revisionist.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We seem to have veered off course from game discussion, time to move on ...

Salary Cap/ Roster Building thread is here
Expansion Draft thread is here
All-Purpose thread is here
And Defensive Zone X's and O's thread is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad